HolidayBuyer's Guide

Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

application forms

by MrH / August 23, 2004 3:22 AM PDT

Is it possible to use one of the office applications to fill out job applications forms once you have downloaded them to your computer?
If so which one or does anyone know of some other software that can be used?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: application forms
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: application forms
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That depends on the form.
by Kees Bakker / August 23, 2004 4:42 AM PDT
In reply to: application forms

If it's a pdf-form, you can use Acrobat reader.
If it's an spreadsheet, you can use Excel or Open Office.
If it's an html-form, you can (in principle) use a browser.
If it's a Word-document, you can use Word or Open Office.

In general I'm inclined to say: follow the instructions of the organization you want to apply to.

You might be interested in a product (costing $245, substantial discounts for schools and non-profit organisations ) called Form Pilot Office 1.94 that's designed for filling out electronic forms of any type. See http://www.colorpilot.com/

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: That depends on the form.
by MrH / August 24, 2004 3:31 AM PDT

It's a pdf form
I know have it open cannot type anything onto the screen.
Why?

Collapse -
Re: That depends on the form. PDF
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2004 3:44 AM PDT

If made properly, the PDF (form) is fillable. If the form supplier did it improperly or you run an old version of Acrobat, then you can't fill it in.

There are workarounds such as printing it, scanning it back in and using an editor to edit the scanned image. Another workaround is to install a JPEG printer driver, print it to a jpeg file, then edit it as you want. It's finally possible to create another PDF to send it back with any number of PDF creation tools.

Bob

Collapse -
by MrH / August 25, 2004 3:46 AM PDT

I'm using adobe reader 6.0 the free edition.
Will this version work?

Collapse -
by swisse / August 25, 2004 3:51 AM PDT

No, it won't. Use Adobe Acrobat Standard/Pro instead. There may be other PDF softwares out there that can do what you want them to do and are for free, but as for me I use the Standard one to fill out forms. The Reader version is only for reading not for writing.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 25, 2004 5:28 AM PDT

Yes that will work fine IF the creator of the form made it fillable.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.