Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Application failed to initialize properly(0xc0000142) ???

When I click an icon to start a particular game, I get a window: 'Please insert CD-ROM 2, select OK and restart application'.. Disk 2 happens to already be IN
THE drive!!(weird??) I click OK then get an 'Application Error' window:

'The application failed to initialize properly(0cx0000142). Click OK to
terminate the application'

This problem keeps coming up even with two complete game program uninstalls/reinstalls. I have already reinstalled Windows XP, done complete Norton Systemworks diagnosis including virus scans, AdAware scans, have reinstalled Direct X and ATI Catalyst drivers. Nothing works!!

System specs:

XP Home
Athlon XP 3000
1Gb PC3200 DDR400
**Gigabyte Ga-7NNXP motherboard
**PowerColor Radeon 9800 XT
**dual Maxtor 120Gb HDs 7.2K spin (Ultra ATA 133)RAID
Soundblaster Audigy 2

**= hardware recently installed/upgraded

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Application failed to initialize properly(0xc0000142) ???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Application failed to initialize properly(0xc0000142) ???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Application failed to initialize properly(0xc0000142) ???

In reply to: Application failed to initialize properly(0xc0000142) ???

Collapse -
Re:Re:Application failed to initialize properly(0xc0000142) ???

In reply to: Re:Application failed to initialize properly(0xc0000142) ???

Power supply is 450 watts and is working fine.

CD-ROM seems to be working fine also as I only seem to have this (0xc0000142)problem with one application!!

I might note that I had the mb, vid card and second hard dr installed over the weekend. I'm wondering if the sound card may be at fault as we had difficulty trying to get the CMOS to accept it.

I'll try the file checker and blackviper.

Thanks,

Collapse -
Re:Re:Application failed to initialize properly(0xc0000142) ???

In reply to: Re:Application failed to initialize properly(0xc0000142) ???

I can't run the CMD file check as I don't have a

'Windows XP professional service pack CD'

One of these was never included with my computer, was I supposed to have one??

Collapse -
Small problems.

In reply to: Re:Re:Application failed to initialize properly(0xc0000142) ???

1. You never revealed the NAME of the game.

It may be a known issue with that game. You didn't supply what could be the most important CLUE.

"Clue please?"

2. The CMD file check issue.

http://tinyurl.com/uuh0

Your OS installer GAFFED and may have used the wrong SP1 image. Time to pester them about how to fix it.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Small problems.

In reply to: Small problems.

Bob,

The game in question is IL-2 Surmovik FORGOTTEN BATTLES, but I've found out much to my suprise IT CAN'T PLAY ANYTHING!!! No matter what CD I place in the CD-ROM drive, I get various application or exe. failures or that the CD-ROM can't read the CD, moreover, it keeps on demanding the CD even when the CD is in the drive!

I went to device manager and it says the CD-ROM drive is functioning correctly. I just added a new motherboard, video card and hard drive (RAID) and am wondering if something is wrong there???

-Michael

Collapse -
Re:Re:Small problems.

In reply to: Re:Small problems.

I had that problem a lot until I upgraded the firmware in my drive.

~Dave

Collapse -
AH! "new motherboard"

XP doesn't handle such changes well. You'll want to install the motherboard drivers, but here we are back to lack of information.

"Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution."

You did write "new motherboard, video card and hard drive (RAID) and am wondering if something is wrong there???" which I'll comment on a common issue that most CDROM type drives will not operate properly on a RAID IDE connection. Before you get a new CDROM drive (they fail like crazy), make sure it's hooked to a normal IDE channel.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:AH!

In reply to: AH! "new motherboard"

Robert,

I'm taking it in to the shop right now, I'll bring along your suggestion, let you know how it works out.

Thanks,

Collapse -
Re:Re:AH!

In reply to: Re:AH!

Computer repair ppl said the hardware is working fine and that this is a software problem and I'm on my own on this one. Looks like I'm stuck with a $2,700.00 computer with a Radeon 9800 XT that cannot play any CDs..LOL

Wonder if I yanked the &1,100.00 upgrade equiptment and re-installed my old motherboard and video card if that would make it so that this lame-*** computer could actually play CDs????

Collapse -
You now says this problem affects all CDs??

"but I've found out much to my suprise IT CAN'T PLAY ANYTHING!!! No matter what CD I place in the CD-ROM drive, I get various application or exe. failures or that the CD-ROM can't read the CD, moreover, it keeps on demanding the CD even when the CD is in the drive!"

Do you by any chance have Roxio installed?
See this MSKB article:
Error Messages Occur When You Run Easy CD Creator in Windows XP

Collapse -
XP DISC

In reply to: Re:Re:Application failed to initialize properly(0xc0000142) ???

YOu should of been able to make a copy of your disc. It will only let you do this once. I am now on Vista but was on xp and I was able to make a backup copy on both.if you would like to try go to your start > all programs > PC HELP AND TOOLS > REcovery Disc Creation. try that.

I am also haveing problem with

Application failed to initialize properly(0xc0000142) ???

and I am on vista but that only comes up when i boot down not when I bootup or while I am on the computer or playing games

Collapse -
And yes, software makes hardware work too.

"Computer repair ppl said the hardware is working fine and that this is a software problem and I'm on my own on this one. Looks like I'm stuck with a $2,700.00 computer with a Radeon 9800 XT that cannot play any CDs..LOL

Wonder if I yanked the &1,100.00 upgrade equiptment and re-installed my old motherboard and video card if that would make it so that this lame-ass computer could actually play CDs????"

It could be a simple issue of where the CDRW/DVD is plugged into. When dealing with this issue and from what I've read so far...

1. Identify what the CDROM unit is plugged into.
Don't connect a CDROM to RAID IDE ports.

2. Identify the install its motherboard driver set.
Gigabyte would be a good place to start.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:And yes, software makes hardware work too.

In reply to: And yes, software makes hardware work too.

David,

No Roxio here,I have Nero Express

Robert,

Looks like the CD-ROM has two outputs: a long ribbon to the left and some wires to the right. Both are connected to the CD-RW right below it which has a ribbon connected to the IDE2 connnector on the MB. The IDE2 connector right next to it is connected to a hard drive. Wonder if the RAID is disabled if that could take care of the problem??

I can send pics with my digital camera if needed. Or can scan the GIGABYTE motherboard installation picture.

xmicha3lx@hotmail.com

Collapse -
Re:Re:And yes, software makes hardware work too.

In reply to: Re:And yes, software makes hardware work too.

Specifically there are four IDE connectors on the MB:

Pair #1
IDE1- connected to MAXTOR 120Gb hd
IDE2- connected to CD-RW Drive(D)and CD/DVD drive(E)

Pair#2
IDE3- connected to MAXTOR 120Gb hd
IDE4- empty

I was wondering if I simply bought an external CD-ROM if that could take care of the problem??

Collapse -
Re:And yes, software makes hardware work too.

In reply to: And yes, software makes hardware work too.

David,

No Roxio here,I have Nero Express

Robert,

Looks like the CD-ROM has two outputs: a long ribbon to the left and some wires to the right. Both are connected to the CD-RW right below it which has a ribbon connected to the IDE2 connnector on the MB. The IDE2 connector right next to it is connected to a hard drive. Wonder if the RAID is disabled if that could take care of the problem??

I can send pics with my digital camera if needed. Or can scan the GIGABYTE motherboard installation picture.

xmicha3lx@hotmail.com

Collapse -
Re:Re:And just a wild shot,

In reply to: Re:And yes, software makes hardware work too.

what are the jumper settings on the two drives? I ran cable select under ME, but had to go to Master/Slave with XP Pro.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:And just a wild shot,

In reply to: Re:Re:And just a wild shot,

Alan,

I don't know what a jumper setting is, this is getting way beyond my learning curve.

Collapse -
You mean all this while you did not set your CD-RW's jumpers?

In reply to: Re:Re:Re:And just a wild shot,

But if you check in the BIOS or in Disk Management do you see all your HDDs and CD-RW drives listed and the drive letters assigned?

In fact in the BIOS you should be able to see which make/model of the drive is the Master or Slave.

See this link on how to set the jumpers:
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,13882,pg,3,00.asp

Collapse -
And beyond jumpers...

In reply to: Re:Re:Re:And just a wild shot,

I was nonplused to encounter many NEW CDRW drives that didn't play well in XP even when I had the jumpers proper. The cure involved the following steps.

1. Use the newer 80 Conductor IDE cable.
2. Set the drives to Cable Select (80 conductor IDE cables use this mode.)
3. Update the firmware of the CDRW drive.

This was more than annoying since the drive was made just a few months ago and NEW. Right out of the box needed the new FIRMWARE.

I wonder at times how people get by on these issues.

Bob

Collapse -
This is what Microsoft says

In reply to: And beyond jumpers...

Collapse -
Re:This is what Microsoft says. That's for NT 4.0

In reply to: This is what Microsoft says

Do you have an article for XP?

Bob

Collapse -
Corrupted rts.dll caused error 0xc0000142

Well, this worked for me:
I replaced rts.dll with the new one, it is easy to find the
proper download center.
Hope this solves your problem!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.