Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Application Error --"The memory could not be read"

by mikestar2003 / January 27, 2009 7:50 AM PST

While playing a particular game on my PC either the computer restarts or shows the message-- Application Error
The instruction at "0x06855969" referenced memory at "0x06a9dd08".The memory could not be "read".
Click on OK to terminate the program
And then the game closes and i have to again start the game and again sooner or later the same problem repeats...
What should i do about this??
Is this a software problem or a hardware problem??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Application Error --"The memory could not be read"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Application Error --"The memory could not be read"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Difficult to say.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 27, 2009 6:07 PM PST

Which game, and does this happen on all games of similar type, eg graphic intensive games, or just the one game?

What are the specs of your computer? The red note above each post window explains, ie;

"Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended."

Do the specs of your game meet the minimum requirements of the game, in particular the graphics card?

Mark

Collapse -
Specs..
by mikestar2003 / January 30, 2009 9:50 AM PST
In reply to: Difficult to say.

Yes,. Its particularly on one game(Counter Strike) but i am getting problems on other games as well(sometimes) but not to the same extent..
My system-
Intel core 2 duo E6300
Motherboard- DG965RY with on board graphics
1GB Transcend RAM @ 533MHz
200GB SATA hard drive
450W power supply
Windows XP SP2
Before the system restarts due to error it displays a message on a blue screen mentioning that ---A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to protect your computer. The problem seems to be caused by the following file igxpd.exe(i dont remember the exact file name)
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
if this is the first time YOU'VE SEEN THIS stop error screen then restart your computer. if this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
If this is a new installation ask your hardware or software for any windows updates you might need.
If problem continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components of your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, select safe mode.
Technical information:
***STOP: 0x00000050 (0xF000E2C3,0x00000001,.......)

Collapse -
I bet that is your problem
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 30, 2009 8:11 PM PST
In reply to: Specs..

Your onboard graphics may not be powerful enough to play the game.

System Requirements for Counter Strike;
Minimum: 1.2 GHz Processor, 256MB RAM, DirectX 7 level graphics card, Windows 2000/XP, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

Recommended: 2.4 GHz Processor, 512MB RAM, DirectX 9 level graphics card, Windows 2000/XP, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

You could check your DirectX to see whether that is causing any problems, (Start > run, type in dxdiag, click OK), but that STOP error code STOP: 0x00000050 can refer to video problems. Have a look at http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm and find the "50 Page Fault..." link on the left for more information.

Mark

Collapse -
You may lose the BET!!!! ;)
by mikestar2003 / January 31, 2009 11:49 AM PST

Ya i'v checked DirectX (dxdiag) and performed all tests..
tests were successfull.
And i really dont think my comp is outdated to play tat game..
Infact, earlier i used to play the game on my comp(with no errors)(installed that one from some other CD).
Yesterday i formatted my C drive and reinstalled XP SP2.. and then the intel mobo's CD...
But again the same error when playin tat game..
And ya the problem with the file is """igxpdv32.dll"""
In the end of tat blue screen it says--
Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete
Cotact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance......
I took some assistance from Help and Support and i think there is something wrong with "File Signature Verification".. Maybe that game is "not signed" with windows or something like that... Please assist me more on this to solve my problem..
Thankyou.

Collapse -
Well.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 31, 2009 8:18 PM PST
Collapse -
Thanks for the assistance so far..
by mikestar2003 / February 1, 2009 1:00 AM PST
In reply to: Well.

Yes Sir, It seems to be a problem with the intel stuff only... especially with the GMA 3000 on board graphics...
And i read many posts and threads on diff websites abt this problem but cudnt find a soln anywhere yet..

Collapse -
There are updates for this motherboard
by Slikkster / January 31, 2009 10:45 PM PST

Go here:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2377&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Professional&lang=ENG&strOSs=44&submit=Go%21

If it were me, I would update <i>at least</i> the first three files on the download page.

Update 1. : Bios update. Latest update does deal with a couple of video issues. There are four options (four different files) that you can use for the update process. You only need to use one of the four. They claim the one most used is the "Express" bios update, which is the 4th option. It runs from within Windows. Updating bioses from Windows is a little dicey, but Intel seems to support it and will obviously have to deal with it if it doesn't work. So, that's up to you. This bios update is dated November 21, so chances are it's newer than the bios you have now.

Update 2. : Chipset INF file updates. This is a new update from January 6 2009. Definitely should install it.

Update 3. : New video drivers. This might be the most important update of the three, but again, I would at least install the bios and chipset updates as well as this video driver update.

The rest of the updates are probably useful, too. I just don't think they have anything to do with your particular problem. Nevertheless, you never know how things interact. But you will see there are updates for your ethernet connector, your audio, etc.

I'm thinking there must be some kind of utility that checks for Intel

Collapse -
Are these driver updates necessary???
by mikestar2003 / February 1, 2009 1:03 AM PST

Are these BIOS and driver updates 'SIMPLE and SAFE' to 'update or install'????

Collapse -
There's a general rule of thumb
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 1, 2009 3:35 AM PST

when it comes to driver updates.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Meaning of course that if the system is working well, then there is no need to update the drivers, (that would go for the BIOS as well).

But in your case the system is not working well, at least for this particular game.

But there is your difficulty. If your computer system is otherwise running well with no issues, except for this particular game, then is there a need to update the BIOS and drivers? Slikkster hinted that updating the BIOS is often risky, and the same can be said for drivers, especially hardware drivers like video, mobo, etc. But there are gains. New drivers and BIOS updates are generally for the better, and they may solve particular issues.

It's a difficult choice for you. Update those drivers and the BIOS as Slikkster suggested, and see if that allows the game to load and run properly, or move on and accept that the game can no longer run on your computer.

Mark

Collapse -
Another discovery!!!
by mikestar2003 / February 1, 2009 9:19 AM PST

I just found out from the intel website that a 2GB stick of DDR2(800 mHz) is not compatible with my mobo(upto ...1GB 800)
Now i jst plan to add 533Mhz RAM sticks with the existing 1GB(533)..(total of 3 or 4 GB memory).
Is there a lot of difference in performance between 533 and 800 MHz RAM's???
Pls suggest me on this.,
I just want to make the right move and make the best use of my mobo.
Thankyou!

Collapse -
Sorry !
by mikestar2003 / February 1, 2009 9:22 AM PST
In reply to: Another discovery!!!

that 'RAM' post was not supposed to be here.. Sad
Cudnt find a delete option anywhere...

Collapse -
Problem Solved!!!!!! Thankyou all!!!!
by mikestar2003 / February 2, 2009 12:05 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry !

The problem i was getting seems to be over..
This is what i did...
In the BIOS setup(system bios), under the "video configuration" the memory alloted for DVMT(some digital video on board graphics) was 128MB, i changed it to maximum DVMT i.e. 256MB..and now i am not getting any problem...
Thankyou,

Collapse -
Good, but keep in mind...
by Slikkster / February 2, 2009 6:50 PM PST

Your onboard video shares your system memory. In other words, if you've allocated 256mb to video memory, you'll be left with 768mb of system memory in your system (for other programs you want to run).

Just something to remember. Down the line, you might want to buy an inexpensive video card if your motherboard has a slot for it. That way all your installed memory can/will be configured for system memory.

Collapse -
hmmm...
by mikestar2003 / February 2, 2009 8:55 PM PST

yes, down the line i may add a inexpensive video card..But if i do so then i can only activate either the onboard graphics or the video card.
So the onboard graphics will be deactivated and of no use then,, that certainly is not a good feeling...
On the immediate side i am goin to only upgrade RAM to 3 or 4GB..
Thankyou,..

Collapse -
Separate video card almost always better than onboard video
by Slikkster / February 2, 2009 10:19 PM PST

You seem to be concerned that having a separate video card will leave your onboard video useless. No worries there. It will always be available if you were to pull out your separate video card. So, it's not like it's going away. It will just be dormant and not activated when you have a video card installed. Along with being dormant, it will not take up any of your regular system memory.

Onboard graphics are normally quite basic, and don't provide nearly the power that even an inexpensive Nvidia/ATI card would give you for gaming. Given the choice, I would always go with a separate video card unless I couldn't afford it, or there was some other issue that prevented its use in a normal fashion.

Collapse -
In addition to what Slikkster has just said,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 3, 2009 1:38 AM PST

Since you're using XP, you will see no benefit in upgrading from 3GB of Ram to 4GB. XP won't see it.

Instead, invest the money you were going to use to buy more RAM and purchase that video card. The difference will be dramatic.

Mark

Collapse -
by mikestar2003 / February 4, 2009 12:44 AM PST

okie.,. will do keep your suggestions in mind..
And my RAM is 1GB not 3GB...plannin to go for 3 or 4GB.,.,.

Does a video card also improve the video quality while watching a movie in windows media player???

Collapse -
Possibly not
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 4, 2009 4:22 AM PST
In reply to: .

Others may know better, but video quality, (as in movies and other video clips), will depend on the video itself, and the CoDecs used by the video. CoDec, COmpressionDECompression are devices that reduce the file size of video files, (otherwise they would be far too large), and whichever CoDec is used to compress the file is needed within the media player itself to decompress it as it is played.

But having a dedicated graphics card reduces the strain on RAM and frees it up so other tasks can be carried out.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.