Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

application error (0xc0000005) HELP

by LivingForTheFuture / January 9, 2010 9:11 PM PST

I got this error the application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application.

I do have a sound blaster audigy ls card but can find the files that windows says to change... on their website.

I have try'd almost all anti-virus\adware\malware\spyware removal applications and nothing.

This same error also happens when I try downloading installing some kinds of applications.

I am thinking of rolling back the sound card driver, hopefully that will work while I wait for a reply from one of you. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: application error (0xc0000005) HELP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: application error (0xc0000005) HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why do you think this is ...
by Kees Bakker / January 9, 2010 9:18 PM PST

related to your sound card? Not a single clue in your post what "the application" is.

"Rolling back" seems to imply you updated it. Tell more on that:
- what sound card?
- why update?
- update with what from where?

Kees

Collapse -
Sorry left out a few details
by LivingForTheFuture / January 9, 2010 9:37 PM PST

I try'd installing yahoo messenger and got the same error message but instead of sndvol.exe it was something like msgr.exe.

The sound card I am using is CREATIVE sound blaster audigy LS, I read something on windows website that the sound card can cause this error message typical for sound blaster cards and gave directions on the website to change the files to fix the problem, but I have neither of the files microsoft says to change. Thats why I am so lost and the fact that it happens on some applications that I try running like yahoo messenger and clicking on the speaker icon on the task bar.

I recently try'd a registry hack to get rid of 8.3 naming for 16 bit applications but doubt it is the problem, I did the hack for a faster computer.

Collapse -
Reinstalling is the solution
by improvepctools / February 16, 2010 5:35 PM PST

I think that nothing would help with this problem but just formatting and reinstalling your computer.

Collapse -
RE: msgr.exe
by Kees Bakker / February 16, 2010 6:09 PM PST

If it's "something like msgr.exe" it could be malware indeed. That's new information in this thread, but it would explain the scanning you told about it post #1.
But just as well, of course, it could be something else. We can't tell if you can't tell.

If all else fails, the clean install recommended by improvepctools seems a good solution.

Kees

Collapse -
I got a system32 error message at startup
by LivingForTheFuture / February 16, 2010 9:05 PM PST
In reply to: RE: msgr.exe

Long story short my anti-virus software expired through my ISP, I believe that adware mywebsearch messed up my computer cause before it wouldn't boot up into windows and it my computer kept on telling me about mywebsearch trying to change my homepage. Anyways had to do an reinstall of windows completely and fixed the problem. What amazes me why or who decided it was a bright idea to make snake programs that mess with your computer is beyond me and viruses as well what the fun of infecting somebody's computer if you never get to see their reaction. I don't know hopefully we won't have to worry about it as technology improves.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.