The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

AppleTV Touch Screen Remote (BGR)

by robstak / September 29, 2009 11:06 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AppleTV Touch Screen Remote (BGR)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AppleTV Touch Screen Remote (BGR)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This already exists.
by minimalist / September 29, 2009 11:42 AM PDT

Its a free download for the iPod Touch and iPhone from the app store. Its much better than the horrible little creaky white plastic remote but now that I have a Harmony that does it all I never use it.

As good as the interface is on the Apple TV its still going to take more than a remote overhaul to make it more than a niche product. I use it to watch video podcasts, watch the occasional trailer and to stream music. I like it OK, but I would never recommend it to anyone else without serious qualifications.

Collapse -
Not that the Harmony is perfect. Apple has too few buttons
by minimalist / September 29, 2009 11:51 AM PDT
In reply to: This already exists.

and Logitech suffers from extreme button overload (and awkwardly placed at that). And the setup software is the very definition of "unintuitive".

Still the macros make it all worth it. If we could just cross Apple's sense of design with the Harmony's endless flexibility you'd have the perfect universal remote.

Collapse -
rly? i thought the software is the easiest ive ever used...
by robstak / October 4, 2009 11:10 PM PDT

hmm interesting.

Collapse -
That software was typical Logitech,
by minimalist / October 4, 2009 11:35 PM PDT

lots of buttons and options, very little clarity about how to accomplish a task. It took quite a bit of digging to figure out how do set up some of the tasks (the Apple TV setup was by far the most confusing aspect). This is clearly a company that thinks more stuff is always better.

Once you get it set up it works fine (aside from the weird placement of the buttons on the remote and there needing to be about half as many of them). But the process of getting to that point was not a good experience.

Collapse -
I think Apple remote is perfect
by Nicholas Buenk / October 5, 2009 12:56 PM PDT

A GUI is where you handle complexity. The physical device should be as simple as possible.

Collapse -
Nothing is wrong with the UI
by Nicholas Buenk / September 29, 2009 12:10 PM PDT

Simple remote onscreen UI works great. Problem is lack of content, it only works with iTunes. They need to put a blu ray player and a tv tuner in it before people want it.
The iPod never would have taken off if it didn't play your existing CD library.

Collapse -
Amen to that.
by minimalist / September 29, 2009 1:36 PM PDT

<i>The iPod never would have taken off if it didn't play your existing CD library.</i>

This is is the nagging little detail that people forget about when they claim that digital downloads and streaming have already killed off physical media for video. If it wasn't for the ease with which people could get all their pre-existing music into iTunes and thusly onto their iPods the market for mp3 players would have been nowhere near as robust as it was. The lack of DRM on CD's is what allowed the transition to digital music to happen so quickly. Had there been DRM on CD's and the masses not been easily able to transfer their music the history of the iPod would have been very different.

The ATV interface is indeed pretty good... that is when it actually works. Mine crashes and freezes up all the time and requires long restarts. Oh and its always a good time when the devices decides its time to synch with iTunes... right in the middle of remote command, bringing the navigation to a painful crawl.

This Apple fanboy thinks the ATV is the biggest turd Apple has created since Steve Job's return to the company. Such potential but yet its really just a half assed device with a pretty interface.

Collapse -
(NT) not arguing the ui or the music. no buttons = fail-mote
by robstak / October 4, 2009 11:11 PM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?