Question

AppleTV blinking after update

I was excited to read about the new Apple TV software update last night so quickly went to do the update. I've done many and never had a problem until this time.
I started the update and the last time I looked at it the download had around 1 minute left. When I went back about a half our later I simply saw the Apple TV's lighting blinking at a quick pace. I don't get any sound or video at all.
The model that I have is the most recent Apple TV. When doing some Google research I found similar problems but people talked about plugging it in via USB to your computer and syncing with iTunes but I believe that's for the older model. I figured there must be some type of hardware reset but I don't see anything like this.
is there some way to get it to work again such as by doing a hardware reset or do I have to go to the Genius Bar?

Thanks,

Mark

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: AppleTV blinking after update
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: AppleTV blinking after update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Those suggestions about plugging the ATV into iTunes

are still valid, but first try removing the power from it, waiting for a short while and then plugging it back in again.

As long as the light is blinking, you will not have a functional ATV.

If the above fails, then a trip to the Genius Bar would be in order. Hopefully this is still under warranty.

P

- Collapse -
Working now

After disconnecting it for awhile it still didn't work but then I hooked it up to my Mac with iTunes using the Micro-USB port. I selected the AppleTV and clicked restore. It restored it to the factory defaults but with the newest version of the OS and it's working fine now.

- Collapse -
(NT) Good Job

CNET Forums