Resolved Question

Applets problem

I have a Dell Inspiron 1300 running XP. When I log on some sites, on particular, I get the following message"

"Oops, the puzzle failed to start in a reasonable time. This could happen if you are no longer connected to the internet or you computer has problems displaying Java applets."

The site has a troubleshooting alternative and when I use it I get the following message:

"alt=your browser understands the <APPLET> tag, but isn't running the applet for some reason." Your browser is completelly ignoring the <APPLET> tag."

Under "internet options", advanced, the "Java(Sun)" is checked, and under internet options, security setting, internet zone, the "scriping for applets" is enabled.

What could cause the inability to open, in this case, a crossword puzzle. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
kemperhills has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: Applets problem
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Applets problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
In addition to what ob suggested ...

You might want to go to this link and see if your java is installed properly and is the latest version. Sometimes the older versions will not support some of the newer coding on various sites.
http://java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp

- Collapse -
In addition

Thanks also, Edward, I forgot to mention that I went to Java and downloaded the latest Java. Even redownloaded it to see if it didn't download correctly.

- Collapse -
See about this ...

I found this at a site they do not like linked to here because WoT doesn't rank it well.

"When I first installed IE7, I remember seeing no add-ons in the list, now there's lots, including a Sun Java console option . After it was enabled, applets work fine. If it's disabled, applets stop working. The enable refers to browser extension npjpi150_09.dll."

Give it a try and it either works or it doesn't and you can switch it back.

Another at the same site indicated the following:

"Resetting the Internet Explorer 7.0 settings to factory settings resolved the problem. 1. From the Tools--> Internet options-->Advanced> Click the Reset.. button next to "Deletes all temporary files, disables browser-add-ons, and resets all the changed settings. 2. Restart the browser."

If you select "High" security settings in the browser, this may can Java from running some applets. Try re-setting security to medium.

Sometimes third party add-ons such as pop-up blockers can interfere with applets too.

- Collapse -
See about this

Ok, thanks Edward, the security settings is at medium, but I will check out the other possibilities you mentioned.

- Collapse -
See about this

Thanks Edward, I reset IE to factory default and that solved the problem.

- Collapse -
Answer
Usually a bug in their code.

Or a firewall, browser setting or a slow older machine. Be sure to report such to the author along with any details they ask for.

You see this more as the PC population ages and the app writers are on big memory, fast machines.
Bob

- Collapse -
Usually a bug

Thanks for the reply RP. I checked the firewall and wanted to make and exception for this site, but couldn't figure out how to do it. The browser is IE 8 and the laptop is not that old. It is newer than the desktop I have at home and the desktop will open the site.

I use the laptop at work and during lunch I solve jigsaw and crossword puzzles to past the time.

CNET Forums