General discussion

Apple Watch: Who Shouldn't Buy It?

First let me say..."I drank the cool-aid and have an Apple Watch on order".

I've read a lot of "expert" opinions on "who the Apple Watch is designed for" or " the target market/demographic group" or "do you really need it". There are varying opinions on the subject to date. However, the majority agree that the Apple Watch will be a game changer in the smartwatch arena even if it fails. So for Apple this is its biggest challenge since the launch of the iPad in 2010 to bring to market a product that consumers will covet (and buy) thus re-affirming Apple's position as THE innovator of tech for others to follow.

That being said...Who shouldn't buy the Apple Watch? I think the answer to that question is academic. Apple markets the Apple Watch as a companion piece to specific iPhone models which means that without an iPhone it's just another watch (at least for this 1st gen). To be clear that fact is no different from smartwatches offered by another phone centric company whose name starts with an "S".

But what if you've never owned an iPhone and are now considering crossing over. The user interface between Android and Windows Phone are different to say the least. Unless you are extremely tech savvy switching from the former to iOS may take some time to get use to. Especially, if you've been ingrained in Android or Windows Phone for some time (the minimum being two (2) years which is the average contract length). Simply, put there is a learning curve associated with iOS for iPhone.

As stated earlier the Apple Watch is a companion piece to the iPhone which (Apple Watch) has some interesting features of its own. The key IMO to have an enjoyable user experience with the Apple Watch is to have a rudimentary understanding of how the iPhone iOS works. Having that familiarity IMO makes using the Apple Watch less daunting because the user sees it as an extension of the iPhone (the Apple Watch intended use) and not as an entirely new device with no idea of how to interact it with it. Granted any user will have to learn how to navigate the Apple Watch but having an understanding of iOS beforehand will shorten the learning curve.

In conclusion IMO anyone who is a first time initiate to the iPhone should consider waiting awhile before buying the Apple Watch as a companion device. Get comfortable with the iPhone first. By doing so first time users will avoid the inevitable frustration of trying to learn how to navigate two devices (iPhone + Apple Watch) whose functionality is unfamiliar.

What are your thoughts?

Together Everyone Achieves More (TEAM)

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Apple Watch: Who Shouldn't Buy It?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Apple Watch: Who Shouldn't Buy It?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
apple watch

Interesting advice. I switched from android to iOS and there is definitely an adjustment period. There are certain things about iOS that drive me crazy but it is what it is.

- Collapse -
apple watch

Thanks for the advice! Though the watch is mainly a companion piece for the iphone currently, I do believe it will soon become a product of its own.

- Collapse -
Now that's it's out, anyone that worries about scratches.
- Collapse -
Scratch-Gate

Hello Everyone

I'm not going to say "degenerate into" as that's too harsh of a phrase. However when I wrote the post I didn't expect "scratch gate" to become part of the conversation. Be that as it may I'll go ahead and chime in on this issue of the Apple Watch Stainless being susceptible to scratching.

I'm not a metallurgist so what I have to say is only "my opinion". Without telling my age let's just say I've been around for a while and during my time on earth I've had the pleasure of owning quite a few watches made of various metals. I've not found one that was scratchproof...not one...including Rolex and watches made of Tungsten (the hardest metal next to a diamond).

It should be noted that Tungsten is "gradable" meaning that there are grades from low to high depending upon the alloy mix. Mass production of a Tungsten watch casing (that is truly scratch resistant under normal use) in the quantities that Apple requires would probably make it cost prohibitive because of the specialized tools required in the milling process not to mention the alloy mix.

I believe the frustration or surprise people are experiencing when they discover a scratch on the Apple Watch Stainless is directly related to Apple advertising. Jon Ivy (or at least the person that sounds like him) clearly states that the processes used to make the Apple Watch Stainless makes it less susceptible to nicks and scratches.

Those last six (6) words create a heighten level of consumer expectation relating to the vulnerability of the Apple Watch Stainless. However, how does one qualify the statement of a metal being "less susceptible" to nicks and scratches as compared to what? Who's to determine what everyday wear and tear equates to when determining what will or will not cause a scratch to the Apple Watch Stainless.

Granted there are impurities in the air. If one could prove that merely taking one's finger to remove a smudge causes scratching then there may be recourse to demand that Apple replace the watch. That's probably not going to happen. So it becomes incumbent upon the user to show that the watch scratches more easily than a comparable watch casing of a similar type under normal daily use that can be reasonably expected.

Getting Apple to replace a scratched watch would probably require evidence similar to that required to trigger a recall of a car model for a defect. A preponderance of evidence must show that no unusual human interaction is required to trigger the failure or in this case cause scratching to the Apple Watch Stainless.

We can debate which process to manufacture the Apple Watch Stainless to make it less susceptible to nicks and scratches would better serve the consumer until we're blue in the face. In the end it comes down to manufacturing cost and the realized ROI. Sure Apple could have probably invested in a better smelting process but could they have brought the product to market at reasonable price point? The Apple Watch as it stands now...ain't cheap!

Scratches on the Apple Watch Stainless is probably something we'll have to live with...for now....at least until the 2nd Generation. Maybe the next gen Apple Watch Stainless will have a "brushed" texture that doesn't show scratches so easily. One can only hope.

Together Everyone Achieves More (TEAM)

- Collapse -
How about people with tattoos?
- Collapse -
Really!

OK. What about people with Tatoos? I read the article but you must have missed the paragraph that reads"

"But when you consider how Apple Watch gets those heart rate readings, this problem shouldn't be very surprising. This approach is one shared by other fitness bands including Fitbit's Charge HR and the Microsoft Band. The ink from a tattoo can dramatically complicate things for these devices in ways that natural human skin pigmentation never would".

So, what's your point? I don't get it? Confused

Clearly the issue isn't unique to the Apple Watch. If you don't like the Apple Watch...then so be it. As I see it...IMO some of the articles about the Apple Watch seem to more about some journalist trying to get paid...for writing anything. Obviously it's working. I guess I'm in the wrong line of work. Shocked

- Collapse -
Really - Part II

Also, have you considered that a competitor might Pay to have an article published about the Apple Watch that brings to light a shared issue such as inaccurate heart rate readings for Tattooed individuals. It benefits the competitor to be able to show that the Apple Watch is susceptible to similar mal-functions. So now the competitor can say:

"There's no need to buy the more expensive Apple Watch if the only issue preventing you from buying mine is the heart rate monitor since the Apple Watch will most likely have difficulty reading your tattooed wrist as well".

Sometimes bad press about a competitors product works to a manufacturers advantage even if theirs has the same issue. Think about it.

- Collapse -
You asked the question.

And there are folk that shouldn't buy this.

I'm sure you have run into folk that the slightest scratch sends them into a tailspin.

You have a good question and I've given a few answers of who shouldn't buy this. Did I misinterpret your question?
Bob

- Collapse -
Yes, in this instance you misinterpreted my post

I intended my post to be more about interacting with the Apple Watch. Those interested in buying an Apple Watch will probably have a much shorter learning curve/enjoyable experience if they are already comfortable with the iPhone.

Compare this to a person learning how to drive. In today's world you'd probably want them to learn the basic skills in a vehicle equipped with an automatic transmission. After mastering that then you might introduce them to a manual shift. Although, back in my day we learned on manual transmissions.

The first two respondents seemed to grasp where I was coming from with my advice. Your comments (while valid) IMO would have been better served in a post specific to cosmetics (scratches) and/or operational failures (heart rate monitoring).

Even so...Thanks for contributing because information is always appreciated.

- Collapse -
I see.

I took your topic "Who Shouldn't Buy It?" and thought of the folk that shouldn't buy it.

Sorry about that.

By the way I owned the Palm Pilot smart watch years ago so it's interesting how this idea has been kicking around for a very long time.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks for responding

Still got that Palm Pilot smart watch? That's a collectible...if only for conversation.
Cheers!

- Collapse -
Had 2 but moved them out years ago.

The daily charge was what killed the idea for me. At least the new designs don't use cables and sockets.

- Collapse -
Apple Watch

Maybe others will develop a "watch case" where you can change your case to match your outfit...and protect the watch from scratches...

- Collapse -
Your wish... Now in colors.
- Collapse -
Here's another site for Apple Watch Cases.
- Collapse -
apple watch case

I was thinking something a little more stylish...those would be good for everyday wear and tear.

- Collapse -
Apple Watch Case- Clear

Did you see the "clear" case? Let's the Apple Watch show through in all its stainless or aluminum glory!

- Collapse -
Contrasting report

I have written a thesis paper about the same topic actually, if your interested heres the link to the website which includes some but not all the info from the original report, for the actual report theres a pdf at the bottom of the webpage. But basically, I talk about how the apple watch should be more independent from the phone in order to reach a larger market or new consumers, in general people want to replace their technology not have a remote for it. I bought an apple watch as well and ended up returning it for this particular reason, it just didn't do enough to be worth so much money. But anyway definitely an interesting topic.

- Collapse -
Reply:Apple Watch: Who Shouldn't Buy It?

thanks buddy.....

very informative post...'

thanks for sharing...

CNET Forums

Forum Info