HolidayBuyer's Guide

The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Apple Update

by kellenjb / October 17, 2006 1:06 AM PDT

Does anyone else think it is interesting that apple publishes a new version of ?iTunes? and ?Apple Software Update? and within a small amount of time they have had to publish updates to both. One even is a security update. It seems like if this happened to Microsoft they would be given crap for it, but not much is ever said about Apple. In fact Microsoft is also usually given crap for releasing a beta with so many bugs in it. Does anyone want to stipulate why?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Apple Update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Apple Update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Past instances
by matarius777 / October 17, 2006 1:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Apple Update

Microsoft I believe is suffering from its past of either not updating soon enough or sending out poor patches, however Apple should never be excused from shoddy product design. You have to admit though, since 1997 at least their reputation has been a lot cleaner than the big M's.

Collapse -
Apple didn't get away with it
by LiK / October 17, 2006 1:51 AM PDT

i checked some Apple forums and communities and it's actually a big pain to the users. this is why Apple released updates so quickly. they got a lot of heat for it. it probably didn't get as much attention in the press, but they got a lot of complaints from their base.

Collapse -
Media
by kellenjb / October 17, 2006 1:57 AM PDT

That?s what I was trying to refer to. The media not their base.

Collapse -
CNET caught it at least
by LiK / October 17, 2006 2:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Media

well, at least CNET placed it as the worst upgrade in their top 5 list Wink

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) But the Molly-Rant we all wanted was late & muted
by cardsbb9 / October 17, 2006 4:39 AM PDT
Collapse -
You can't have it both ways
by MacHugger / October 17, 2006 9:16 AM PDT

Funny, you expect Apple to get an equal amount of crap when they represent a fraction of the computer user base out there. There are more than 10 times as many users to yelp about something Microsoft screws up as when Apple makes a mistake (and then proceeds to fix it sooner than exactly once every month).

No software exists without bugs and occasionally, a major update comes along that is really problematic. The question is, how quickly does the company respond to it and then provide a solution. On that mark, Apple gets kudos and Microsoft continues to take it on the chin (unless of course it's a DRM issue and then Microsoft will manage a faster than once a month fix).

-Kevin

Collapse -
True Kevin
by shantanubala / October 17, 2006 2:01 PM PDT

I don't expect software to be perfect, or be in a state of ever lasting beta like Google. I expect it to work, and I expect a fix right away.

It the Bullet Proof Glass Syndrome as I call it.

There's regular glass which breaks after the first shot and is a security risk

There's the bullet proof glass that doesn't break until 20 shots, but is deemed "Not Bullet Proof"

You know one software *has* bugs and takes the crap, so the other software occasionally has bugs, or less minor ones, and you expect it to take the same crap?

An elephant will crap 2 tons, but a mouse can only crap a few grams. Don't confuse the two.

-Shantanu

P.S. I wasn't pointing any fingers... This is NOT flamebait... Right?

Collapse -
Montly releases
by SantiagoCrespo / October 17, 2006 11:33 PM PDT

When your software is installed on 90% of corporate desktops around the world, you must give predictable patch release schedules to let the Sysadmins test the patches for compatibility before they install.

Collapse -
What?!?
by awinn233 / October 17, 2006 2:31 PM PDT

Have you been listening to the podcast? How long have they been talking about how janky iTunes 7 is? Molly, Tom, and even Veronica have all complained about the new iTunes. I really don't think you could ask for more coverage of this story. I don't mean to sound like a fanboy, I hate the new iTunes too.

Collapse -
Apple Software Update
by kellenjb / October 17, 2006 3:13 PM PDT
In reply to: What?!?

First of all I don't see why you guys got so defensive about my post. I was not saying Apple was wrong in any way I just wanted to see what you guys thought. Saying something is ?interesting? does not mean it?s wrong.

Also I haven't heard anything about the Update to the Apple Software Update software. You know that software that came along with the new version of iTunes? It's not iTunes, it?s a separate program that updates iTunes and possibly other Apple products. They recently posted an update to the service that was said to fix security and stability issues. It didn?t say any more than that. Does anyone know if Apple releases any more information about their patches? Like what security issues it fixes? If so where?

I guess I was also trying to bring up a discussion on how secretive Apple is with their flaws. Usually in Microsoft?s case they do say that there is an issue that they are working on. In Apple?s case they tend to claim there is no known issues and then try to discreetly publish updates. Is this wrong? I don?t think so, I think it?s just a different business model.

Collapse -
Maybe I misunderstood you
by awinn233 / October 18, 2006 1:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Apple Software Update

I thought you wanted TMV to cover the iTunes 7 problems more, which I thought was pretty ridiculous because they were talking about it for a while.

Collapse -
I agree
by navsimpson / October 17, 2006 3:08 PM PDT

If any other company on earth had a trojan on their massively popular mp3 players, the sky would have fallen. Granted, a company gets some grace for previous good work, but c'mon - can you imagine Microsoft or Sony getting the same sort of slack? Apple can now basically shrug this thing off, which is as it should be - it affected a tiny amount of players. I'm just saying other companies would have been taken to the wall over this.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.