Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Apple, Samsung, or SanDisk?

by cacross / April 21, 2006 1:53 PM PDT

My old mp3 players headphone jack broke so I need to replace it and I have been looking up flash players for about a month and I have narrowed it down to the ipod nano, Samsung YEPP YP-Z5, SanDisk Sansa e250. I like the SanDisk because of it's features but I like Apple's and Samsung's look better. But the Nano scratches easily and I am not for sure the Samsung has the enough features as the other two.I just want to here some of your experiences with these players.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Apple, Samsung, or SanDisk?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Apple, Samsung, or SanDisk?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
SanDisk
by PMR / April 21, 2006 2:26 PM PDT

I was in the same boat as you. The things that won me over to the SanDisk e250 was the price ($169 at BB) and the features. It is a great product and in my opinion better than the iPod nano. The most notable feature, IMO, is the video playback. While it isn't stellar, it is suitable for the occasional music video. The scroll wheel makes navagation very easy, however not as easy as the clickwheel. It doesn't scratch as easy, but I have gotten some minor scratches, but nothing noticeable. I love the ability to expand via the MicroSD slot. While it is bigger than the nano, it is by no means big. Longer battery life and bigger screen make up for the extra thickness.

The Samsung YP-Z5 didn't suit me. It didn't have any extras like FM tuner, video playback, extra. I wasn't fond of the controls either. It is very hard to first use it, but you do get the hang of it. The one thing I don't like about the controls is that is all one speed which makes it harder to narrow in a choice.

Collapse -
Check out my Z5 vs Nano vs Sandisk review...
by bevtarlow / April 21, 2006 2:31 PM PDT

I recently went through this exact process that you are going through right now. I ultimately chose the Z5 and I haven't regretted it since. Check out my review under the silver 4GB Z5 which is titled "Why I chose the Z5..." I go into considerable detail about how the Z5 compares to the Ipod and the Sansa E200 series... Hope it helps!

Also, CNET just awarded the Z5 as their top "Audiophile" recommendation out of all the current MP3 players that have been reviewed! Check out their MP3 buying guide for further details -- You'll find the Audiophile designation under the section called "What kind of (MP3) User Am I?"

Collapse -
Ok ya convinced me ....
by cacross / April 21, 2006 3:48 PM PDT

I shouldn't get the nano now I can brag to all the other hundreds of people who have one how mine is better .I loved your Comparison between the Z5 and the E250 Slydini. If it is true that there might be a new Z5 coming out with FM and Video I would definetly get the Z5. Since I personally have a lot of video I would like to carry around I still haven't decided between the two. How loud is the E250 PMR since I will be listening to it on a very loud bus.

Collapse -
YP-Z5F
by PMR / April 21, 2006 11:03 PM PDT
Collapse -
Hopefully, the pink is a prototype colour...
by bevtarlow / April 22, 2006 6:26 AM PDT
In reply to: YP-Z5F

I have to agree with you on that pink colour... but I think it's safe to assume that there will be a colour choice like there is on the regular Z5. After all, this will be their flagship model when it comes out.

Collapse -
wow!
by wastedyuthe / April 22, 2006 3:20 AM PDT

Hi Slydini. Just read your review on here 'Why I chose the Z5'. Terrific detail there, and I for one completely agree with most of what you said. The only thing I disagree with is that I actually prefer the black version. From the pictures online I preferred the silver, but when I saw the black one in the shops, I thought it looked slick and bought the 4gb (my wife bought the 2gb black one too). I look at the silver ones online and actually prefer the black one still. Wierd eh? Still, each to their own. At least we have a choice.

Collapse -
basically
by rbovani / April 21, 2006 4:20 PM PDT

IPOD sucks. scratch that.

Sandisk - more space, higher screen res for 1.8" display, FM Tuner, Voice recording?

Samsung - easily beats out he sandisk in terms of sound quality, READILY AVAILABLE LOL

the last point is why i chose the Z5.

Collapse -
Samsung YP-Z5 for me....
by Night Surfer / April 22, 2006 1:03 AM PDT

I checked out the e250 at Best Buy on Monday. I was unimpressed. I had grown tired of waiting for the e270 to come out so I bought a Samsung YP-Z5 with the intent to "trade" it in for the Sansa.
After spending about 30 minutes w/ the Sansa I have decided to just stay with the Z5. While I did not notice any noise on the Sansa at any setting, the sound quality and volume on the Z5 is superior, hands down. In the end, that's what it's all about. Sound quality.
The video on the Sansa worked well but I found that watching it on such a small screen was less than thrilling. I find the screen on the Z5 to be brighter and crisper than the Sansa. The Sansa seems kinda "washed out" by comparison. One nice thing about the Sansa though is that the album art takes up the whole screen making it larger than the Z5.
The controls on the Z5 are fine, despite some reviews.
Since I am not really interested in video, voice recording, or FM radio, I am going to stick with the Z5.
I will miss the 2GB (potentially 3GB) extra storage though.

Collapse -
Thanks for all your help
by cacross / April 22, 2006 2:26 AM PDT

Even though I really want the video capabilities I am gonna go with the Samsung. Now all I have to do is pick a color. Thanks Again

Collapse -
Lyrics?
by cacross / April 22, 2006 4:02 AM PDT

I almost forgot can you view lyrics on the e250 or the Z5?

Collapse -
No lyric display on any of the Nano sized players...
by bevtarlow / April 22, 2006 6:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Lyrics?

I just wanted to let you know that the Z5 doesn't support lyric display. I'm almost positive, however, that lyrics aren't supported on the Sansa E200 or the Nano. Maybe a firmware update can address this? I'm not sure if it's worth the extra strain on battery life though...

If you want a different kind of flash player that supports lyrics, check out the Samsung YP-T8 or the YP-D1. They don't sound as good as the Z5 though and they look too much like a cell phone. More importantly, their capacities are relatively low (512 up to 2GB max).

Collapse -
I think the Nano can
by Tallcoolone / April 22, 2006 10:43 AM PDT

I read somewhere that you can get lyrics on the Nano. But this certainly shouldn't be a deciding factor in which mp3 player to buy, especially when the screen is as small as the Nano's.

Collapse -
I know...
by cacross / April 22, 2006 12:24 PM PDT
In reply to: I think the Nano can

the nano has lyric display because it says it on the website and my friend has one but I still think I am gonna go with the Z5 I really don't need the lyrics

Collapse -
My apologies....
by bevtarlow / April 22, 2006 2:37 PM PDT
In reply to: I know...

I honestly didn't know that the Nano had lyric display capability... my bad. Anyway, as you already pointed out, it shouldn't be a deciding factor for your MP3 purchase. The prolonged backlight and additional processor performance would definitely take it's toll on battery life.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?