The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Apple rumors and more...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Apple rumors and more...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Apple rumors and more...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This would be pretty radical if it were true

In reply to: Apple rumors and more...

The thought of bringing back jobs to the US when everyone else is outsourcing more and more could be turned into a marketing advantage (sort of like American Apparel has done).

But the cynic in me says that this is probably not a smart business move for a consumer electronics company trying to stay competitive when they already have a price premium working against them. So I give it a 1 in 10 chance of being true.

Collapse -
Ahh

In reply to: This would be pretty radical if it were true

But due to the price of oil, outsourcing is less profitable than it used to be. Infact outsourcings days are numbered, peak oil will occur sometime between now and 2030 if it hasn't already. This will mean a return to manufacturing in the USA, using robotic automation rather than cheap labor, as robots will be cheaper than supply lines that run over the pacific ocean.
Steve's old company NeXT built the most highly automated factory in the world in the 80's, Steve is interested in this stuff. Infact this old demo video is pretty cool look at it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhfUKEu7sJ0 Kind of sums up the perfectionism that company was run with. Wink
Also of note is that Al Gore is on Apple's board of directors, and he would be encouraging Apple to do something like this. (Al Gore's powerbook is the second character in inconvenient truth practically, and the presentation is done on Apple's Keynote, not Powerpoint Wink )
Remember this? http://flickr.com/photos/mcmeeno/1557809629/
It would be great for Apple's brand name. It would show Apple as revolutionising manufacturing industry in a green way, give steve the control over manufacturing and quality that he's always been into and save Apple money by having a low cost entirely automated factory running off it's own power source so no power bills and lower transportation costs.

Collapse -
I hope you're right.

In reply to: Ahh

And in the long term it might just work.

I do know that in the short term have more expensive Macbook Pros and Macbooks is not a good thing during a down economy, no matter how green they are.

But if they can keep the price the same or even drop it and still do this that would be pretty freaking cool.

Collapse -
Outsourcing.

In reply to: This would be pretty radical if it were true

All outsourcing does is get a CEO a big fat bonus now, at the expense of the company later. Worse it trains your competitor to take over your business. Lenovo an IBM outsource partner swallowed IBM's computer division. HTC is now a brand name in PDA's and Smart Phones. HP used to outsourc to HTC. For all I know they still do.

If you want control (and Apple does) and you want to be in the game for the long run. You build your own. If you have to pay someone more efficient to build your products...what the heck good is your company?

Collapse -
Ok...

In reply to: Outsourcing.

Then let them build EVERYTHING inside the Mac, too. You know, the actual real parts of the computer, like the motherboard, video card, memory, etc. Devoting billions of dollars to the shell? Doesn't sound like smart business sense to me, when I'm sure there are any number of high-tech fabrication plants around the world that can do this kind of work. Kind of locks you in to one material, too, no?

Collapse -
I was just...

In reply to: Ok...

... simply wondering when Computerworld turned into yet another Apple fanboi rag.

Collapse -
Hmm

In reply to: Ok...

I don't see the rumor saying any where that the factory is just for building the case, that seems a strange idea.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!