General discussion

Apple replaces my DVD drive 4 times

I have an MacBook Pro 2.6 MHz with 4GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM running 10.5.8 My DVD drive keeps going bad and Apple keeps on replacing it. Three times so far and they want to replace it a fourth time. But I am afraid that my warranty will run out and Apple won't say what they will do then. Is this computer fixable with a new drive?

I have demanded that Apple replaces my computer with a new one with no luck. Does anybody have an idea about why the drives keep on going bad, and should Apple replace this computer. Apple says that this fourth drive replacement will be a revision and should fix the problem. Again what happens when the warranty is out!

Thanks

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Apple replaces my DVD drive 4 times
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Apple replaces my DVD drive 4 times
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
At this point

At this point, I'd say the odds of you simply getting every bad drive out there is next to impossible. Something else is clearly wrong.

Schedule an appointment at an Apple store or some other repair shop, and tell them to run Apple Service Diagnostic on it, both the EFI and OS tests, and to do it in front of you. If they don't have a clue what you're talking about, or won't do it with you present, go somewhere else.

My personal guess on this would be you have a dodgy power inverter. It's sending way too much power to your DVD drive and keeps frying them. Actually, while you're at it, have them run the battery and power adapter diagnostic. You look to have a pretty recent model MacBook Pro, so they should have that available too, or be able to download it via Apple's GSX website.

Just make sure this is all done with you there, so if anything fails, you're a witness and they can't just give you the easy answer. It'll be about as much fun as watching paint dry, but it's necessary.

- Collapse -
Fixing DVD

Thank you so much for taking the time and telling me what to do and how. I really appreciate it and I will follow your instructions.

I have to say that, I have in the past asked Apple if I can watch them run a dialogist on other computers, and they have always said no! But this time I will be more persistent.

Sincerely;

Philip
Seedo55

CNET Forums