Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Laptops forum

General discussion

Apple Powerbook or Light Intel Laptop?

by will333167 / November 3, 2004 3:18 PM PST

I'm looking for a new notebook: a nice 15 inch screen or smaller, relatively light & portable, and good/great memory and graphics capability. I will be using it primarily for digital image/video editing, some gaming, and Internet access.

I have previously owned maxed-out Dell Inspirons but don't like the size and weight of the current high-end models.

A friend recommended an Apple Powerbook (15 inch, 1.5 mhz chip) for the portability and power. I am unfamiliar with the performance capabilities of these machines vs. the current crop of comparable size and weight Intel notebooks....does anyone have any advice? Do the Powerbooks compare favorably in performance with the Intel models for the tasks generally described above. If not, what are the best portable (under 7 lbs.) Intel machines available? Also, is the Mac OS-X OS more stable than Windows XP?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Apple Powerbook or Light Intel Laptop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Apple Powerbook or Light Intel Laptop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Apple Powerbook or Light Intel Laptop?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2004 9:07 PM PST

Since I know to not allow SPYWARE on my machines and have a current set of Antivirus, drivers and such, both offerings are stable. No clear winner here for me but the Apple fails for me since my customer base is WintelXP now.

If you don't have to interoperate at that level then the Apple may be a nice change. Have you tried it at an Apple store.

Bob

Collapse -
by will333167 / November 4, 2004 1:16 AM PST

Thanks for the reply. I haven't tried the Apple....no stores in my area. I've heard that migrating from XP to OS-X is not overly difficult.

Will the Powerbook rival the better WintelXP laptops in performance? Thanks.

Collapse -
Re:Apple Powerbook or Light Intel Laptop? as to performance
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2004 1:45 AM PST

For me, it's been a dead heat on many benchmarks if we take some average over the past year. Of course there is the week that one is in front of the other, but its not like one "wins" and stays there for long.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Apple Powerbook or Light Intel Laptop? as to performance
by will333167 / November 4, 2004 11:54 AM PST

Thanks for the help. What are the specs on your wintel laptop and on your Powerbook? Thanks.

Collapse -

I am a little biased...I am a Mac user..
I have a 12inch PowerBook. With it, I run Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, SPSS,...and manage my home movie and photo collection. The 15inch powerbook is more than enough for your needs.
It has an option to upgrade to 128mb video memory and a 5200rpm hard drive for increased performance. It is 5.7lbs...very light for a 15incher...comes with 802.11g wireless, bluetooth, Superdrive( (DVD-R/CD-RW), USB 2 and Firewire, a backlit keyboard......iPhoto, Graphics Converter, iDVD (movie making software), iMovie (more movie making software)...and more.
I work in an all-PC environment and have absolutely no problems with compatibility. In fact, I have almost no downtime compared to my fellow workers. That is the reason I use a Mac. I actually bring in my PowerBook to work because of this. The uptime on my PowerBook is currently 28 days. I only shutdown for system updates...with no perceptible system degradation. I also have at least 8 applications running at a time.
I have 8 friends that recently bought iBooks or Powerbooks...all of them are very happy with their decision.
Word of advice though...if you go for the PowerBook...get as much RAM as you can afford. Also, if price is an issue, the 12inch PowerBook is a dream. If the screen seems small for certain projects, you can hook it up to any display and use monitor spanning.
I highly recommend finding a store that sells them though and seeing them in person.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/70203/wo/OlqyCrRXIcZZ28kDyvq29qcXQSs/0.0.9.1.0.6.21.1.1.1.1.0.0.1.0

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / November 4, 2004 4:04 AM PST

The Apple 17" powerbook is amazing as it weighs only 6.9 pounds which is in the territory of the Compaq X1000 series 15.4" widescreen I have at 6.5 pounds. But it is over $2500.

Apple is #1 in service and notebook quality but you are paying a premium for it (my notebook was $1299 -- for a 15" Apple powerbook or above you are in the $2000-$3000 dollar range.

If, in fact, you don't have work issues that need the PC software than Apple is a great alternative. Apple has the 6 pin powered firewire for Video editing while many PC notebooks like the HPZT3000/Compaq X1000 (see X1000forums.com) have the 4 pin -- 2 extra pins for power have to be plugged into A/C (notebook will not power Firewire device by itself).

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!