Laptops forum

General discussion

Apple Powerbook G4

by DanMan1234 / September 17, 2004 10:45 AM PDT

I was looking into buying a 15 inch Apple Powerbook G4 and was wondering if anyone could give me some info on it. For example, Will it last me a while or Would you recommend going with a windows pc instead. Also any information on the Apple Company would be appreciated too. For example do they make a quality laptop product? Thanks!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Apple Powerbook G4
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Apple Powerbook G4
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Apple Powerbook G4
by KenSanramon / September 17, 2004 1:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Apple Powerbook G4

Apple is rated #1 for both repairs (notebook quality) and technical support.

It is mainly the issue of whether the Apple will do what you want and whether you want to deviate from the PC's most people use at work and home.

If you have friends or some other support with Apple products they are outstanding.

Note, the 15" powerbook LCD model had a recent battery recall (very recent) so make sure you know you have a good battery if you buy this.

Actually, the 17" LCD powerbook only weighs 6.9 pounds (PC 17" LCD models are over 9 pounds) and it does not cost much more (and it did not have the battery recall) so you may want to consider that.

Steve Jobs had the 17" LCD in the hospital while recovering from the pancreatic (non-terminal type) cancer surgery.

This 17" LCD powerbook is at or over $2500 but if you have settled on the 15" model you are over $2000 already.

For a PC the 15.4" widescreen is the effective portable limit due to the weight (for example my 15.4" widescreen Compaq X1000 series weighs 6.5 pounds).

You can't find a mainstream notebook backpack that will hold larger than the 15.4" inch widescreen or 15" square screen but if you are willing to pay the $ check out the Apple 17" LCD powerbook and you can find a satchel for it.

Collapse -
by DanMan1234 / September 19, 2004 9:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Apple Powerbook G4

Thanks for the info Ken, i will look into the 17 inch also! Do you know how the apple wireless connection is and all that? do the powerbooks has wireless built into them? sorry for all the questions but im not too up to date on the whole wireless internet, especially with apple. Thanks!!!

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / September 20, 2004 5:51 AM PDT

The Apple Airport wi-fi seems to work very well from what I have heard. See the reviews here on C-net in the wi-fi area.

I assume the Powerbook line has built in wi-fi as if you are spending over $2,000 if better have it. Also, has I stated, Steve Jobs was using the 17" in the Bay area hospital he was recovering in so he was probably using wi-fi there as well.

The Powerbooks are obviously some of the most popular notebooks to use in Starbucks (with Tmobile Wi-fi) as they have all aluminum cases (most PC's try to copy this but with silver paint that eventually rubs off) and very attractive. They also have the DVD/CD-RW slot loading drive (Panasonic) instead of an opening tray that can break off.

And, again, I don't think you can find a 17" LCD notebook anywhere close to the 6.9 pound weight of the Apple Powerbook (that is very close to the 15.4" widescreen Pentium M Compaq X1360US I have at 6.5 pounds).

My friend is an Apple fanatic (works at a Photographer and does digital photo editing and retouching on an Apple desktop) so he would be able to answer more. Perhaps I will try to get him to post an answer here.

Collapse -
by DanMan1234 / September 20, 2004 1:37 PM PDT

Thank you Ken! You have been a big help! I'm pretty sure my purchase is going to be the 15 inch notebook. Only thing that is holding me back is the many complaints i've read about "white spots" on the LCD screen and how the notebook seems to have a flaw in the latch which is used to open and close. I've read from many reviews that the notebook doesnt seem to close entirely. Most of the reviews that claim this were older ones from last year so im not sure if apple has corrected the problems or not. If you have any info on this please post! Thanks for the help Ken, i really appreciate it!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?