Laptops forum

General discussion

Apple MacBook (Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz) Windows counterpart

by vt_hero / March 27, 2007 1:25 PM PDT

Again, here's a college kid looking for a laptop. I really like the features for the Apple MacBook (Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz) and have been thinking about getting one for next year. However, I have been a windows user all my life and can't quite bring myself to convert yet. I still have a fear that I won't be able to run the programs that I have used with windows.

Can anyone give any examples of Windows based laptops with similar features to the Apple MacBook (Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz)? I want a relatively small screen 14" or smaller with a core duo preferably. The rest isn't that important....good battery/graphics card (enough to play games like counterstrike...nothing fancy)
price range between 1,000 and 1,800.
THanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Apple MacBook (Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz) Windows counterpart
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Apple MacBook (Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz) Windows counterpart
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Games means graphics power.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2007 9:26 PM PDT

You've instantly moved to the Macbook Pro so you get the dedicated GPU and it's memory. As to running Windows, that's done with BootCamp if you are a gamer.

Bob

Collapse -
Very True
by StargateFan / March 27, 2007 10:13 PM PDT

I also have been a Windows user my entire life. Now it is time for me to buy a new laptop and for the first time I am asking myself Windows or Mac? I am an anomaly in the IT world, I like both platforms. If it makes you feel better we have had an upsurge of qustions on this forum about people wanting to know all about the Mac. And in the past year to six months I believe the amount of purchases going to Apple has increased drastically.

In my case I have beta tested Windows Vista and wasn't that impressed with it. Sure I'll eventually upgrade over if Vista is successful but for the first time I am not as excited as I usually am about a new version of Windows. don't get me wrong i would never give up and stop using Windows, I am just choosing to stay with XP for a little bit.

But about the Mac, Apple and the Macintosh Platform have been impressing me for quite some time now. I actually got to look at their technology. They have beautifully built and designed machines. and the Mac OS has got me excited. I think Apple is well on it's way to gaining market share once again. I would love the oppurtunity to learn to Mac OS and truly prove that for an IT guy like myself, this OS is not just a toy for novice users but an advanced OS that can rival Windows. Basically very techically advanced.

If you are going to go after the Mac, go ahead. If you decide you don't like it you can always sell it on eBay. They go for as high as $4,000 on eBay depending on condition and specs. But I must agree if you want to be able to play games you will probably want to go with the Macbook Pro. It has a dedicated video card with dedicated memory, much better then the Macbook's scaled down Intel GMA 950 chip.

Software is also a big issue but as the Mac becomes more popular, I am sure more developers will begin to wither write their code for on begin to port their code over to execute on the Mac Darwin platform, not to mention software is starting to pop out that will allow end users port their Windows based prgrams so they will execute on the Mac, however thus far they are only for developers and pretty expensive, personal versions of this software will undoubtingly follow. Until then via either Apple Boot Camp, Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac, or Parrallels you can run Windows on a Mac with absolutely no lag or consequences, Windows and Mac will run beautifully side by side on the Macbook Pro. In Windows is where you can run all your Windows based programs until the future when we are ready to port. If you are going to use this method I suggest you use either Virtual PC or Parrallels so you can run both the Mac OS and Windows simulataneously. Good Luck

Collapse -
Apple and me...

Apple, Apple, Apple ... Yes, it becomes more and more popular... But for me, never.

I find it too complicated. Shortcuts aren't the same, softwares are completely differents ... Mac OSX is simply not for me. I've grown with Windows since I'm 5 ( I've runned under Win95, 98, 2000, XP, Vista, I'm now 15 ) so changing the platform for me is difficult. Yes, I acknowledge, Mac OSX is a good platform, but it is simply not for me. Beeing limited to Apple hardware ( often more expensive ) annoy me. I like to be free. And Mac isn't really generous with their models. They limit poeple to 3 models : 13.3", 15.4" and 17", and only the Pro series have a good GPU, you can't even upgrade to an ATi X1400 like the Dell Inspiron E1505.

Another bad thing is the software compatibility ...

And with Apple, you pay for the logo on the screen pannel... Sad

Personnally, I prefer to have an antivirus software with a firewall and an antispyware and run XP/Vista than have a platform like Mac OSX. I prefer Linux over Mac. I find it less complicated since a live DVD like Ubuntu Ultimate Edition has all the programs you need pre-installed. Yes, installing a program with Linux may be complicated, but when you know how, this is the samething as a .exe under Windows.

The models I know with a dedicated GPU and a smaller screen than 14" is an Asus W3J I think. It has a GeForce Go 7400 with 128 MB on-board VRAM + 128 MB shared ( TurboCache Technology ).

So Mac isn't made for me and this is my opinion on this operating system, but it is certainly not yours. Everybody has different opinions Wink

Collapse -
hmmmm
by vt_hero / March 28, 2007 8:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Apple and me...

Maybe I should clarify, the most gaming I will probably do, is playing n64 or playstation roms on the laptop. Nothing major.

Will the Mac book handle that with the graphic accelerator? And another question, would I be able to run bootcamp or similar progs smoothly from the Mac book without any delays or crashes?

Collapse -
Yes
by StargateFan / March 29, 2007 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: hmmmm

The Intel GMA 950 onboard chip is not bad. But in today's gaming world we want the best we scan squeeze from a Video Card. But to answer your question the Macbook will run Emulated ROMS with little difficulty.

Collapse -
(NT) Dell Latitude D620. It has very similar features.
by Cyborganizer / March 30, 2007 9:58 AM PDT
Collapse -
Second the D620.
by fbbbb / March 31, 2007 4:30 AM PDT

The base-model version with the GMA950 is a far superior notebook to the Macbook. It's slightly lighter yet quite a bit more durable with an all-mag shell and steel hinges.

The Asus W3J is a popular choice for a gaming-capable laptop. It has the GPU from the Macbook Pro in a Macbook form factor / weight.
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2995&review=Asus+W3J

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?