General discussion

Apple laptop Hard Drive on PC

I have a adaptor to hook a laptop HD to a desktop is it possible to connect my apple laptop HD to my desktop PC to find out what wrong with the apple HD?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Apple laptop Hard Drive on PC
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Apple laptop Hard Drive on PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
To do this I would...

1. Never expect to sort out any file system issue.

2. Try the drive maker's test utility to see if the drive passes or not.

3. Consider SPINRITE (google.com) if I must try to recover said drive and it's not dead.

Bob

- Collapse -
thank you

I have tried using the disk check in single user mode many times done just about everything I could A hardware test cd for my model of laptop seems to be quite rare even on ebay.

How do I go about hooking it up to my Pc?

- Collapse -
You've confused me.

First you note that you tried check disk then you ask how to hook it up. That's confounding to me how you would do that then ask that.

-> Too bad you didn't reveal the make and model of the drive. Such hard disk test programs are usually free. But you ignored the forum note so I'll drop a hint what's needed next.

Bob

- Collapse -
yes

I can see how you are confused I am too! but anyways. the hard drive is a Fujitsu 30gb laptop drive from a apple laptop its seems to be messed up because it wont boot up the laptop. I tried all the single user tests like applejack and fsck on the lappy nothing seemed to help. I wanted to test it further on my pc to see if I need a new drive. I have disc wizard on my pc. and a 2.5 to 3.5 ide adapter.

basically I want to know if it is possible?
Will It tell me more than what I have tried?
How is it done?

- Collapse -
Ahh.

As to how to plug it into the PC, one just uses the adapter and puts it on some second IDE cable connections.

As to testing, see http://www.fujitsu.com/us/services/computing/storage/hdd/support/utilities.html

"
basically I want to know if it is possible?
Will It tell me more than what I have tried?
How is it done?
"

See above, but remember I offer only basic directions. This is just above newbie level so I think you'll do fine. Is this worth getting SPINRITE?

Bob

- Collapse -
one more question

thanks for the help! those are great resources that I will definitley use.

Will there be any problem with it being apple drive plugged into a PC?

- Collapse -
Just one. You won't see any files on the drive and..

You should not format it, check disk it or run any repair tools that are PC based except SPINRITE. It is a foriegn file system so while I don't think of this as a problem, some may not be ready for the oddity.

Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info