Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Apple laptop Hard Drive on PC

by Vonmoldy / January 10, 2007 3:07 PM PST

I have a adaptor to hook a laptop HD to a desktop is it possible to connect my apple laptop HD to my desktop PC to find out what wrong with the apple HD?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Apple laptop Hard Drive on PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Apple laptop Hard Drive on PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
To do this I would...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2007 9:50 PM PST

1. Never expect to sort out any file system issue.

2. Try the drive maker's test utility to see if the drive passes or not.

3. Consider SPINRITE (google.com) if I must try to recover said drive and it's not dead.

Bob

Collapse -
thank you
by Vonmoldy / January 11, 2007 4:45 AM PST
In reply to: To do this I would...

I have tried using the disk check in single user mode many times done just about everything I could A hardware test cd for my model of laptop seems to be quite rare even on ebay.

How do I go about hooking it up to my Pc?

Collapse -
You've confused me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 11, 2007 5:48 AM PST
In reply to: thank you

First you note that you tried check disk then you ask how to hook it up. That's confounding to me how you would do that then ask that.

-> Too bad you didn't reveal the make and model of the drive. Such hard disk test programs are usually free. But you ignored the forum note so I'll drop a hint what's needed next.

Bob

Collapse -
yes
by Vonmoldy / January 11, 2007 6:26 AM PST
In reply to: You've confused me.

I can see how you are confused I am too! but anyways. the hard drive is a Fujitsu 30gb laptop drive from a apple laptop its seems to be messed up because it wont boot up the laptop. I tried all the single user tests like applejack and fsck on the lappy nothing seemed to help. I wanted to test it further on my pc to see if I need a new drive. I have disc wizard on my pc. and a 2.5 to 3.5 ide adapter.

basically I want to know if it is possible?
Will It tell me more than what I have tried?
How is it done?

Collapse -
Ahh.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 11, 2007 8:38 AM PST
In reply to: yes

As to how to plug it into the PC, one just uses the adapter and puts it on some second IDE cable connections.

As to testing, see http://www.fujitsu.com/us/services/computing/storage/hdd/support/utilities.html

"
basically I want to know if it is possible?
Will It tell me more than what I have tried?
How is it done?
"

See above, but remember I offer only basic directions. This is just above newbie level so I think you'll do fine. Is this worth getting SPINRITE?

Bob

Collapse -
one more question
by Vonmoldy / January 11, 2007 8:46 AM PST
In reply to: Ahh.

thanks for the help! those are great resources that I will definitley use.

Will there be any problem with it being apple drive plugged into a PC?

Collapse -
Just one. You won't see any files on the drive and..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 11, 2007 8:57 AM PST
In reply to: one more question

You should not format it, check disk it or run any repair tools that are PC based except SPINRITE. It is a foriegn file system so while I don't think of this as a problem, some may not be ready for the oddity.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!