Phones forum

General discussion

Apple iPhone - Next Generation???

by BA_Mack / March 12, 2008 6:14 AM PDT

Hi

I'm not an early adopter. I?m considering purchasing the iPhone, but with my luck they?d come out with a next generation model the month after I buy it. Does anyone know if there is a new generation in the works or due to come out?

BA

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Apple iPhone - Next Generation???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Apple iPhone - Next Generation???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not likely
by Jimmy Greystone / March 12, 2008 6:41 AM PDT

Apple is generally pretty reliable in their update schedules, but the iPhone is selling rather well right now, so I doubt they have any significant plans to update it any time soon.

Also, most of the major updates take place around major events for Apple. So like the Mac World conference or something similar is when MOST announcements of new products or significant hardware refreshes take place.

About the only possible thing I could see being added, is some form of 3G support. Which might be useful if you really like to use all the multi-media functions of the phone to stream music and videos, etc, but is otherwise really not all that useful.

You might also want to think long and hard about having an all touch screen interface. If you have large and/or long fingers, and lack a surgeon's dexterity, you're likely going to end up pressing the wrong key more than once. It also takes power to run the sensors that make the touch screen work, so there goes some of the battery life... Same with all the other things that make the iPhone so neat and shiny. They will suck your battery dry in no time.

So, just be sure to give it a good long and hard think about whether or not the iPhone really offers you something significant enough over your current phone to be worth both the price, the service lock-in with AT&T, and all the other potential drawbacks like probably having to replace your battery every 6 months to a year due to the frequent need for charging. Don't get it just because it's shiny, new, and one of the latest status symbols for conspicuous consumers.

Collapse -
It's known to be real soon now.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 12, 2008 7:55 AM PDT

The leak is out there with a purchase of 3G chips and more. The other killer might be the iPhone nano. At the current pace I'd say this year.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!