Thank you for being a valued part of the CNET community. As of December 1, 2020, the forums are in read-only format. In early 2021, CNET Forums will no longer be available. We are grateful for the participation and advice you have provided to one another over the years.

Thanks,

CNET Support

General discussion

Apple iPhone

Dec 9, 2008 3:59AM PST

Any news about an upgrade to the 3G before or shortly after Christmas?

Discussion is locked

- Collapse -
Can you please elaborate?
Dec 9, 2008 5:22AM PST

There already are 8 & 16GB 3G models available. I doubt we'll see the 32 before Xmas. Or are you referring to the $99 Wal Mart rumor(?)

-Pedro

- Collapse -
Upgraded Capabilities
Dec 9, 2008 6:59AM PST

I was hoping for a longer battery life, better camera, better MP3 player before buying one. I'm in no hurry; didn't want the first version, and wanted to wait to see if there were some improvements to the 2nd version before Christmas.

- Collapse -
increasing the memory capacity...
Dec 9, 2008 7:33AM PST

...is their easiest way to turn a profit and capture more sales since over time that addt'l capacity becomes cheaper and cheaper to produce/sell. Some of the software updates fix a few things but AFAIK none on your list unfortunately. Regarding camera improvements on handsets in general, keep in mind relatively decent digital cameras with *real* lenses are inexpensive now. In this sense, there's no real incentive yet to make even a high end phone such as an iPhone perform similarly, unless they can defy the laws of physics at a competitive manufacturing price.

I'm surprised you would want to improve the MP3 functionality of the iPhone, or maybe you are alluding simply to adding more flash memory(?)

-Pedro

- Collapse -
Extended Warranty?
Dec 15, 2008 5:15AM PST

Is it worth it to purchase the $69 extended warranty for the Apple Iphone?