The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Apple iPhone???

by Dilbert278 / February 13, 2006 3:48 PM PST

See: http://www.amphetameme.org/?p=892

Heres a quote from the site on why (they think) Apple are making a phone:

# Apple recently registered to sell mobile phones and mobile service. They are officially a phone reseller now. Mobile virtual network operator, or MVNO. Shortly you should be able to purchase mobile service from Apple. (Let?s hope their business agreement isn?t with Sprint if they plan to piggyback on someone else?s network.)
# Apple has filed for a trademark for the phrase ?Mobile Me? and it?s good for a wide range of businesses. From Reuters, Jan 13, 06 : ?The areas that the trademark covers include computing devices, mobile devices, and mobile services including digital music, video, games, e-mail, and messaging across Internet, intranets, extranets, television, cellular, and satellite networks, the filing shows.?
# PortalPlayer, the manufacturer of controller chips for various iPod models has established two strategic partnerships. One with a Bluetooth technology company, and another that manufactures ?modems? that keep you connected to the net via Mobile networks 24 hours a day.

Interesting......

P.S Oh, and Tom, call me Will, not wmoisis Silly

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Apple iPhone???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Apple iPhone???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Something big
by MacHugger / February 13, 2006 4:04 PM PST
In reply to: Apple iPhone???

>>P.S Oh, and Tom, call me Will, not wmoisis

>>Thanks

It might help to sign your name as ''Will'' Silly

I can only hope rumors like these come to pass. After owning and using these things for over twenty years, I think I've got Apple's number (though they continue to surprise me sometimes).

I do feel something major is coming from Apple. I said it before but it bears repeating - Steve's ego will NOT allow something as big as Apple's 30th anniversary pass by without some very special present. It won't just be an 80 Gig iPod, I'll guarantee that much.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
Wireless Networks are making it easy to sell branded service
by scott_wilder / February 13, 2006 8:17 PM PST

So why not jump on the train?

I just hope Apple joins the party with a service that's truly differnt that what's currently offered. Or what's the point?

If all they bring to the table is an itunes phone with a larger limit than 100 songs, I'm gonna be really disappointed.

Scott

Collapse -
iSight
by jemsbarr / February 14, 2006 12:47 AM PST

How about a new iPod phone complete with iChat and one of their tiny (but very good) iSight cameras built in. The video function of the new iPhone (or whatever) works for both iTunes videos and, if in a wifi enabled area, can become your iChat connection (iChat could be improved to include voip features ala Skype). Lots of press these days regarding Microsoft's new push into the mobile area..

Who knows? I really thought they'd announce the Mac mini with DVR capabilities at the last MW Expo. That's the great thing about Apple... they keep you guessing.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.