Laptops forum

General discussion

Apple iBook vs. Powerbook

by javiweb / May 3, 2006 3:28 AM PDT

What are the good/bad for both models, and how do they compare? Is the extra investment worth the Powerbook... If so, why?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Apple iBook vs. Powerbook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Apple iBook vs. Powerbook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do you remember the last CPU change?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2006 6:04 AM PDT

If so, you would not entertain the CPU that's being phased out.

Bob

Collapse -
No...
by javiweb / May 3, 2006 9:10 AM PDT

I guess I dont know what you mean. Im completely incompetent when it comes to different models, when they change, etc.. What is getting phased out?

Collapse -
Do more research about Apple's change of CPUs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2006 11:40 AM PDT
In reply to: No...

The entire line is being flipped to Intel (sorry but that's in the news) and my response is to look to the past to see and remember upset owners that paid dearly for the older CPU and in months felt they were left behind.

Bob

Collapse -
Don't listen in some regard
by jelgert / May 3, 2006 9:19 PM PDT

Its true apple is switching their entire line to intel chips this year but if your buying a computer today and like R Proffitt said you want to look to the future only one of those processors is truly 64 bit compatable and that is the PowerPC processor made by motorola not intel. He's right Intel is going to give you the more powerful processor but its not as future proof and if you want that your going to have to wait for the memron chip due out probably sometime in september of this year. PS I believe you get a better graphics card and faster RAM on the Powerbook and that is where the extra price comes from but your no longer given the option to upgrade from a 12 inch screen if that is what you go with.

Collapse -
MacBookPro...
by nathanpsz2 / May 4, 2006 8:45 AM PDT

...has a mobile X1600, which is a pretty decent graphics card. However, it's a shame that the Intel chips aren't 64-bit.

Collapse -
No but good news from Intel !
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / May 4, 2006 10:39 AM PDT
In reply to: MacBookPro...

The Yonah processor will be pin-to-pin compatible with the Merom processor which is 64-bits, has SSE4 instruction sets and which is dual-core.

You'll just need a retail box of the Merom ( as the Pentium M ) and the BIOS upgrade from your PC constructor. I think most of this last will put their BIOS Upgrade available in their download section. If not, Intel will do it...

Collapse -
Ghost is right
by jelgert / May 6, 2006 7:03 AM PDT

Ghost is right about this the merom processor is suppose to be drop in compatible I think is what is being used right now just a few updates needed for your system. However if you plan on doing this yourself you are going to void your warranty so if you need the computer now either don't get it or if someone has information about if apple will do it for you and let you keep your warranty that would be helpful. Anyways wait until september/october if you can otherwise as the processor should be intergrated into their systems by then assuming it comes out in early september.

Collapse -
Retail boxes of Merom will not be availble on Sept.
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / May 6, 2006 8:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Ghost is right

Maybe I did a mistake when I wrote my last post, but retail boxes of the Pentium M Merom will not be availble when the Merom will be in circulation in laptops. This will take a good year from now to see the first Merom in its retail box. And a good 1 1/2 to see it with afordable prices...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?