Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Apple, Google or Amazon? Where should I buy my movies?

by JuanmaLorente / April 17, 2014 12:23 PM PDT

Hi guys,
I'm kind of new in this, hope my question is not too stupid.
In a few months I will be moving to the UK and will be able to invest some money in buying TV Shows and Movies and say goodbye to illegal downloads.
There are three options that I'm interested in, Amazon, Google and Apple. Where should I buy my movies and shows?
If I start buying my movies with Amazon Instant Video I will get the Amazon Fire TV. Chromecast for Google TV and Apple TV for iTunes.
I can see that the prices of the movies and shows is kind of the same in any of these options. The hardware changes a little leaving chromecast as the cheapest option. But that price is not a big concern for me because the difference is not huge.
I would like to know which option has more future, where should I invest my money? I will not like to start buying movies and shows in amazon and then after a couple of years have to switch to something different.
I know that it is a difficult question to ask because we never know what it is going to happen in the future but at least I can find out what the majority says of choose.
Hope you guys can help me.
Thanks so much.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Apple, Google or Amazon? Where should I buy my movies?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Apple, Google or Amazon? Where should I buy my movies?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Let me share.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2014 12:26 PM PDT

I use Amazon Prime and didn't bother with the others so the good part about the big gorilla is that the Kindle Fire HD we use for this is connected to the HDTV over HDMI and works great. HOWEVER I know how to change the DNS to avoid ISP DNS issues and went through 3 routers before finding one that could stand up to WiFi use like this.

OK, for me the Amazon Prime and how the movie can download to the tablet for later play means a lot less interruptions.

I only rent and am not a collector.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
'Investment' it is not
by Pepe7 / April 17, 2014 1:08 PM PDT

In reality, it is spending your disposable income on a hobby or interest.

That said, for long term collecting, I wouldn't choose any streaming/download options if Blu Ray was available. It's easy to see why/how one system could lock you into a format that you didn't want to deal with, and wouldn't let you easily switch to something else. Blu ray doesn't do this per se. It would be pure speculation as to which of the online vendors of streaming media/downloadable full length feature films will continue to offer what you require/prefer.

If you absolutely need to utilize a streaming/download service, you *could* possibly get away with buying an AppleTV and streaming Amazon Instant video using Airplay from an iOS device via their app. Appletv offers netflix too. Keep in mind with such arrangement though, things could change on a whim, and has w/ Apple with other services.

Chromecast hardware isn't particular robust, for what it's worth, so I'd probably avoid that particular device/method.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!