The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Apple forcing new software on people

by MrSkinny / September 24, 2007 1:16 AM PDT

I don't know if this has been covered already but I can't really find much mention of it, let alone a stink (which there should be), on the internet tubes.

On the windows at home, lets call that hwindows, I do the Quicktime+iTunes because the iPod gets synced there. At work (wwindows) I don't want iTunes to pickup and ask to "sync" my ipod to the blank iTunes at work, I only do Quicktime.

So an update comes rolling in for QT+iTunes and it pops up on both machines. At home yea, go... update... done. At work, thinking maybe it'll only update QT, I say go and POOF, I have iTunes. Ok, maybe I had an old copy of iTunes, registry entries, leftover directory and it got confused somehow. I un-install both and explicitly install the QT only package from the apple.

A couple weeks roll by, same thing. QT+iTunes patch.. on wwindows it patches QT and installed iTunes.

I know there are alternatives to QuickTime for my .mov files, I'll install one of those and blast QT (oh and iTunes now) but that's not the point.

The point is they are forcing a piece of software I explicitly don't want with an update <Molly>WITHOUT GIVING ME THE OPTION TO SAY NO</Molly>. We need to point this out and make a stink because next it might be a test with safari which leads up to a morning when you wake up to OsX. (I know some of you would like that but stick to the point... fooooocus)

This is not cool el-manzana.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Apple forcing new software on people
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Apple forcing new software on people
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well.
by benanzo / September 24, 2007 1:56 AM PDT

"I know there are alternatives to QuickTime for my .mov files, I'll install one of those and blast QT (oh and iTunes now) but that's not the point."

I think this is precisely the point. Download VLC or Media Player Classic and never let QT or iTunes touch your computer again. That will show them..

Collapse -
Not really
by MrSkinny / September 24, 2007 2:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Well.

Should I not be able to use QuickTime without iTunes?

Should I not be able to use Windows without Explorer?

Collapse -
Remember
by benanzo / September 24, 2007 3:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Not really

that Apple's not obliged to do anything for you -- such as provide QT without iTunes, or vice versa. If you don't like the way they operate (as I don't) don't use their software. I feel like people should stop clammoring about certain software companies' (Apple, MS) shady practices and just simply stop using their software. It's not enough to complain to Apple, or even get a thousand people to complain. They don't care. The solution is to just *stop using it* -- all of it.

Collapse -
In the end that's what I've done
by MrSkinny / September 24, 2007 3:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Remember

If they push like this I pop out the side and stop using them. Most however can't tell the difference and taking advantage of that lack of knowledge is really irksome. I'm wiling to bet for every one like us they lose they gain 3 (if not more) .. ehh .. basic computer users.

For web-browser plugin sake downloaded and use:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/QuickTime_Alternative.htm

So-far.. so good.

Collapse -
Yes
by Renegade Knight / September 25, 2007 7:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Not really

For me Quicktime is a parasite. iTunes has a purpose. I only want one. Not the other.

Collapse -
You can only get quicktime seperately...
by Nicholas Buenk / September 25, 2007 4:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes

As itunes is actually... based on quicktime and can not work without it.

Collapse -
Gack
by Renegade Knight / September 26, 2007 12:19 AM PDT

I was going to use iTunes to manage my music collection and start filling in the gaps.

But now Amazon has a store that's cheaper and DRM free. Looks like I don't need to deal with iTunes after all. (I'm wishing, I'll just borrow someone elses iTunes for the occasional iTunes only song).

Collapse -
Amazon, if they have more drm-free stuff than itunes plus
by Nicholas Buenk / September 26, 2007 1:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Gack

Then that's great.
And well the best part of itunes is it's podcast management feature. Honestly I'd rather use something like VLC or winamp (if it ran on my mac that is) though. But with an ipod there's not much point in using anything else.

Collapse -
I hear ya... apple soiled my computer long enough
by wthomas1h / September 24, 2007 2:19 AM PDT

So I installed Rockbox, and blew away itunes and qt forever.

Collapse -
Yea
by MrSkinny / September 24, 2007 2:32 AM PDT

Haven't tried RB in ages, was kinda klunky last time I used it.

Much better now?

Collapse -
Agreed
by wthomas1h / September 24, 2007 2:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Yea

I'll admit RB is a bit clunky, and seems like more of a hobbyist tool, but it's been fun getting it to work the way I like it to. As long as you don't mind getting your MP3s from somewhere else and dropping them onto your device, then it's really not that bad.

I made the switch because I also received some very annoying itunes/qt updates. I had the "stuttering" ipod for a few months after one of the apple updates. And one time, a qt update decided to associate a bunch of common file extensions with itself without asking permission, and I uninstalled it after that.

Collapse -
Cool
by MrSkinny / September 24, 2007 3:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Agreed

I had gotten it to drop the gap between songs, a small studder that can cause you fits.

I'll try it again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

GREAT SHOWS WITHOUT CABLE

Get live TV over the internet

Say goodbye to cable -- check out the top five live TV streaming services available now.