The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Apple fires employees who admit to download Leopard

by cars4less201 / August 22, 2006 3:23 AM PDT

"At least five employees of Apple's retail stores have been fired after downloading copies of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard from the Internet that were distributed to developers at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference two weeks ago. "Dozens" more also face termination, Think Secret has learned.

The axed employees had apparently been overheard discussing their acquisition of Leopard with their co-workers, prompting Apple "corporate" to investigate after word reached Cupertino. The staffers were dismissed after admitting to acquiring the software illegally.

"All of us know that we violated our NDA and ethics policy. Therefore, because we had the character to tell the truth and to face the consequences of our actions, we were terminated," said one of the fired employees, who spoke with Think Secret on condition of anonymity.

"My only question is, if we all lied and denied it would we still be working at Apple today? Even more so, is that the kind of person that Apple wants working for them?"

It's not known whether the employees collaborated on sharing copies of the unreleased operating system or if they acquired copies individually."

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0608retailleak.html

--
Oh no! I wonder what would happen if they downloaded Liger...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Apple fires employees who admit to download Leopard
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Apple fires employees who admit to download Leopard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Intellectual Property Protection, I agree with Apple
by Skeeteron_mypeter / August 22, 2006 3:56 AM PDT

All of us in the tech industry know the "rules of engagement" when dealing our prospective companies intellectual property rights. Many of us, including myself, sign non-disclosure agreements so that the companies that we work for can progress forward with their projects in order to remain competitive.

If Apple had let these employees off, then when a more serious offensive had occurred, they would not have any real enforcement abilities to prosecute the offenders since they would have set precedence for non NDA enforcement. Apple had to terminate the employees in order to maintain enforcement capabilities of the NDAs that were signed by its employees.

Apple has to protect their intellectual property. It is unfortunate that these individuals have been or will be terminated but this process will strengthen the position the company has with employees as well as maintain appropriate behavior.

That is my opinion...what's yours? Wink

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I agree. btw; nice tag line: "...whats yours ;)"
by udayan71 / August 22, 2006 4:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
Character
by adkinsjm / August 22, 2006 6:01 AM PDT

So one employee had the character to tell the truth but not to download software illegally?

Collapse -
Pleading guilty doesn't make you innocient
by djcoty / August 22, 2006 7:24 AM PDT

I'm amazed that these people thought that admitting to doing what they had been caught doing might have meant they'd get away with it.

Collapse -
Confessing is the new innocense plea.
by Zattacker3701 / August 23, 2006 1:08 AM PDT

I completely agree. Why would they think that being truthful about a crime would clear them of the wrong-doing? I especially like the part where the employee asks if Apple wants the people that lie about stealing as employees or the ones that tell the truth. Hmmm...how about the employees that don't steal and break the rules.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Extactly, stealing is stealing no matter what.
by djcoty / August 23, 2006 2:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
Plea bargain first
by adkinsjm / August 22, 2006 10:04 AM PDT

If I were the employee's, only fess up if you they promise not to fire you. Usually in the U.S., if you plea bargain, you get a lighter punishment.

I guess these guys aren't becoming lawyers anytime soon. And why didn't they let their names be known on Think Secret.

All these unnamed sources are BS to me, I can't use them in what I write.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!