iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

General discussion

Apple Component AV Cable not working with iPhone 3GS

I just bought from Apple's online store, their component AV cable which was supposed to allow me to play movies, slideshows etc from my iPhone 3GS (latest OS) on my Sharp wide screen television. I can hear the audio, but I am unable to see anything. I have turned on "widescreen" and selected PAL (the appropriate setting for my television) I've tried NTSC, just for the heck of it, but with the same result. I've rebooted the iPhone, I toggled between settings, I've rearranged the cable connections, I've changed from one set of input jacks on the television to a different set (although I know they work as my DVD player works with all).

What's the story? According to Apple's website this should work, but it doesn't.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. This should have been a "no-brainer!"

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Apple Component AV Cable not working with iPhone 3GS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Apple Component AV Cable not working with iPhone 3GS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Have you considered calling Apple?

In reply to: Apple Component AV Cable not working with iPhone 3GS

Collapse -
I am having same problem

I have a 64gb touch 3gs and am having the same problem. I am trying to play my ipod through my sony xbr. I also bought the composite cable and that seems to work fine on a number of tvs that i have tried.

Collapse -
AV Composite Cable not working with iphone 3 GS

Hi Did you got a solution regarding your problem ?
I have the same problem with a Apple AB composite cable...
I get the sound but not pictures on the TV....
Thank you for any help
Pierre

Collapse -
(NT) Anybody call Apple about this problem?

In reply to: AV Composite Cable not working with iphone 3 GS

Collapse -
AV Composite Cable not working with iphone 3 GS

Hi Did you got a solution regarding your problem ?
I have the same problem with a Apple AB composite cable...
I get the sound but not pictures on the TV....
Thank you for any help
Pierre

Collapse -
the AV Composite Cable problem

In reply to: AV Composite Cable not working with iphone 3 GS

Well, where I live we don't have any Apple Geniuses (Hong Kong), so eventually I went to a local authorized dealer from whom I've bought other stuff in the past and am known. They graciously hooked up the cable to a television in their shop. When it didn't work there either, they suggested that I take it to the local (Hong Kong) Apple authorized repair place. The folk at the repair place took the cable and said that they'd give me a replacement. Unfortunately, they didn't have any in stock, so I'm waiting for notification to pick up the new cable.

Luckily I had purchased the cable from the Apple online store, so I could log in and show the purchase details. I hadn't kept the box or receipts, because I never dreamt one could have a problem with something as simple as a cable. Once they saw the purchase, the didn't ask any other questions.

I did have some concerns that they might ask questions about scratches on the connectors. Frankly, while the connectors are attractive, the smooth metal cylinders are not very functional. Once you firmly seat the connectors, they are so smooth that they're hard to grasp with your fingers. With this problem, I had shifted them from one set of inputs (input #1) to another (input#2) and so forth to rule out problems with any particular input. I ended up resorting to use of pliers to pull out the connectors -- better that than pull on the wires and eventually pull them loose from the jacks. Here is one place where Apple's emphasis on good looking design made the product less usable (not to mention the defect).

I still can't see how a cable could be defective, but you live and learn. I'd have to suggest that you return your cable, as well.

Collapse -
It's not going to work

As far as I know, and I have tested this as well, the AV cable doesn't do video any more. The audio works fine but to support video you actually have to go through the connection in the bottom of your phone. If I remember right this ability was taken away as of the 3.0 update. 4.0 comes out today and maybe there will be a change back but 3.0 won't do it.

Collapse -
Apple AV Component Cable not Working

I have tried two Apple AV Component Cables, on two different TVs, from two iP4s, an iP3GS, an iPad and an iPod Classic. Both myself and the Apple Genius were unable to get any combination to work. It appears that there is at least a batch of faulty Apple AV Component Cables in the market, or maybe this problem is more widespread. The Apple AV Composite Cable works in all of the above combinations.

Please indicate any experiences--successful or not--getting the Apple AV Component Cable to work.

Apple, why aren't you responding to this? It seems like a fairly common problem.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.