Mac OS forum

General discussion

Apple Care...worth it?

by ekn111 / November 24, 2006 9:47 AM PST

Hi everyone,

I've been hearing suggestions on extending my warranty for my MBP by buying the AppleCare plan. How good of an investment is this? If I do get it, is it only possible to get it through Apple Store directly?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Apple Care...worth it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Apple Care...worth it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Get one of your friends,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 24, 2006 9:49 AM PST
In reply to: Apple Care...worth it?

to sit on your machine, crack the LCD and you will find that AppleCare is the best thing you could have thought of.
Laptops are very prone to accidental damage and, as with all laptops, are expensive to repair.

Get the AppleCare and relax

P

Collapse -
=)
by ekn111 / November 24, 2006 10:03 AM PST

Thanks! That just about seals it for me..

So are there ever deals on the plan? Or is it always standard price? =D

Collapse -
I think it's always Standard price
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 24, 2006 10:07 PM PST
In reply to: =)

been so long since I had a new machine Happy

P

Collapse -
Deals?
by batavier / December 1, 2006 2:20 AM PST
In reply to: =)

Yes, there are - sometimes.

I got one on my iBook by entering iBook AppleCare in Google. Found one place that had several at about 25% off. This was about a year sgo, so I don't remember where I got it, but I think it was AtomicPark.

Collapse -
Apple Care...worth it?
by MJM / November 30, 2006 7:31 PM PST

You can get it from Apple over the phone, or from a retail Apple store, or, I believe, from the Apple corner in a CompUSA store. I get my renewal for $70, not the $100 that's advertised. Worth every penny. MJM

Collapse -
price
by shinshoryu / December 1, 2006 4:29 AM PST

I saw the applecare package for the macbook on amazon at two different prices, $50 difference between them. Apparently the only difference is that one comes in a new box in the other one in the old box. Can anyone tell me if that is the only difference, are there's actually a logic explanation for the price difference. Than you.

Collapse -
accidental damage
by jimg34465 / November 30, 2006 10:26 PM PST

Planning to get a MBP for my wife for Christmas. Had the same questions. On the Apple site,found a link to download a copy of the Mac warranty. The warranty will only cover defects in material and workmanship.
"b. Limitations The Plan does not cover: Damage to the Covered Equipment caused by accident, abuse, neglect, misuse (including faulty installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider), unauthorized modification, extreme environment (including extreme temperature or humidity), extreme physical or electrical stress or interference, fluctuation or surges of electrical power, lightning, static electricity, fire, acts of God or other external causes;"

Collapse -
Still worth it
by nevido / November 30, 2006 10:58 PM PST
In reply to: accidental damage

Stuff happens. I had both hard drives go it my Mac Tower and they were replaced under Applecare. The plan also covers phone support, so when you haven't a clue what your machine's doing,
Who ya gona call?

Collapse -
Still worth it
by jimg34465 / November 30, 2006 11:54 PM PST
In reply to: Still worth it

AppleCare does cover defects in material and workmanship. I thought it important to correct the statement that it also covers accidental damage...it does Not ! As the Moderator stated "Laptops are very prone to accidental damage and, as with all laptops, are expensive to repair". I think that it's important to know what you're receiving for your $349 US. If the extended warranty covered accidental damage it would be a no brainer...but it does not !

CNet has a lot of "How to's" on the site, including replacing hard drives. I'm 61 yrs. old, with no tech. experience and had no problem swapping out hard drives on two machines with CNET's help. $349 seems a little steep for 2 hard drives

Collapse -
Yep, stuff happens
by NM_Bill / December 1, 2006 12:36 AM PST

at 2 1/2 years down the line, my powerbook screen went black. The toughest part of the whole affair was waiting on hold to make arrangements.

DSL overnight airfreight was at my house in 2 hours, with box & shipping labels. It was fixed by an Apple repair facility in Houston, Texas the next day & received back here in Albuquerque the following morning.

Less than 3 days elapsed time. I was fairly impressed. The $349 Apple Care was worth it.

As to the Apple Care giving you the hotline for problems, it varies a bit depending on which individual person you get on the other end of the line. Some are infinitely patient in trying to lead you through your problem & some are brusque.

But I figure Apple Care is pretty much mandatory for a laptop.

Collapse -
AppleCare - worth it?
by raymondl / December 1, 2006 7:58 AM PST

I have never used it but I just met someone whose laptop was chronically problematic from early on after purchase.

After multiple attempts at repairing it, Apple sent him a new Mac Book Pro (and he had a much older machine) as a replacement.

He's grinning from ear to ear and is sold on Mac's now!!!

Collapse -
As for me Apple Care do works
by 2lolo / December 1, 2006 8:04 AM PST

I'm new to any/all computers. I took a class on PC's and my first was an Dell I paid $1600. 00 + And paid for a class from DELL Learn.. From day 1 (one) *#^^#!!!!! #*"^#* !!!!! I send the DELL back !!!!!! Now I own an 2005 APPLE 17" Mac . I still don't know much about my Apple but I love it.. As for Apple Care .. My mother board , mouse , and key board went down and all I did is to call Apple ( 800 number ) Apple change my mother board ( FREE ) a new mouse and new key board ( FREE ) And if anything happen with my computer all I do is call Apple.. for $179.00 for 3 years..Ay times I call Apple ( 800 number ) and ask how do I do this.. Apple is happy to help me... Now that's COOL !!!!!

Collapse -
It certainly was for us.
by yahooer / December 1, 2006 8:20 PM PST

We had G3 iBook. It was our first laptop and the only computer we ever bought AppleCare for (3 desktop Macs from 7100 onward). Over the first two years, Apple had to replace 3 major laptop parts. One was the screen, one was the CD-R, last was the hard drive which was replaced with a brand new G4. And our first purchase for the G4 was a new AppleCare. We haven't needed the protection but I think it's worth it for the peace of mind we get from 3 years of phone support.

Collapse -
A little now or a lot later
by Chiatzu / December 1, 2006 8:34 PM PST

I believe it's worth it. I have purchased AppleCare for my PowerBook laptop, iMac 20" desktop, and even my 80GB video iPod. If something goes wrong with any of them during my warranty coverage period, I simply give support a call and arrange service via carrier. Or I tote my Apple product into an Apple store and handle it there. Say your hard drive would die during the warranty period, Apple couldn't help you replace your lost data but they would get you a new hard drive at no cost. Chances are you'll never need to use AppleCare, but like insurance on a car it's good to have.

Collapse -
(NT) It's good for the RSS.
by Ryo Hazuki / December 1, 2006 11:21 PM PST
Collapse -
I'm wondering too
by cassiepaige / December 2, 2006 1:21 PM PST

I'm going to be purchasing a macbook in a week or so, and Applecare is expensive. I am already over my budget, and I'm trying to decide if it's something I really need. Seeing everyone talk about how they have used it, and how fast they solve problems is nice, but still...the price isn't. I've had my Dell for 2 years, and my HP for 5 years and have not had problems with either of them.

Collapse -
It's insurance
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 2, 2006 9:44 PM PST
In reply to: I'm wondering too

I've had fire insurance on my house for 25 years, it is expensive and I have never had to use it. That does not mean that I would be wise not to have it.
Try replacing an LCD on a laptop, any laptop, and you will find that the price of AppleCare (or anyone else's Care for that matter) is very cheap.

However, it is a personal choice. You have seen the Pro's and Con's, the decision is yours.

P

Collapse -
I'll get it
by cassiepaige / December 3, 2006 2:03 AM PST
In reply to: It's insurance

I forgot all about student discounts. I am not in college, but my cousin is and he'll order it for me. Brings the price of Apple Care down from $249 to $183.

Not too shabby. Plus it brings down the price of everything else. Still comes in over budget at almost $1,400...but more manageable than almost $1,600.

Hopefully I won't need it at all, but my luck I won't need it if I buy it but if I wouldn't have I would need it all the time.

Collapse -
Thanks everyone!
by ekn111 / December 4, 2006 6:55 AM PST
In reply to: It's insurance

Wow...haven't checked the thead in awhile...so many responses!

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and stories. I'll most definitely be getting the Care package now. Thanks again!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?