all stuffed into a single post. I'll give some of them a try.
This is a list of devices we have in home.
MacBook Pro, with Retina Display OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)
iPad (3rd Gen) Wi Fi, IOS 9.1
iPad 2 Wi Fi, IOS 9.1
iPhone 3G, IOS 6.1.6 (due to upgrade within weeks then obsolete)
iPhone 5S, IOS 9.1
Windows Surface Laptop (partner’s) Latest Updated
I'm not a Mac person, prefer Linux myself.
1. STORING PHOTOS CLOUD FREE: Flickr - Can this be used on mac book pro as well? Can this is private use only?
why shouldn't it? In fact on it's front page it mentions the apple app store.
2. Facebook won’t work in typed into Safari since upgraded to El Capitan (10.11.1) on MacBook Pro 2014. Have tried downloading another browser as in Opera and works fine.
There ya go, that's why I suggested the Mac forum. Seems a problem particular to Safari. You could contact Facebook and mention this to them, maybe they can rework the page they have for Safari users. In firefox we have a user agent switcher that works at times like that, for instance pages that work OK in IE but won't in FF, so we spoof FF as if IE and the page works OK. It's because some sites have browser specific pages, but in situation like yours, spoofing an older browser version of Safari, or even another type of browser, allows the page to work anyway. So, check for extensions to Safari which might also allow spoofing "user agent" or "referrer" settings in it.
I want to use Safari - what settings would I have wrong? Or what has happened?
Facebook does work on Ipad as normal and newly updated to the latest IOS.
Same answer as above. It's either trick the site to give you a different version of the page, or Facebook and Apple need to get it fixed for you.
3. We air calendars as both chronically ill and medical appointments essential. Ideas for a note or list app ( as I can no longer physically write ) that we could use on the two computers - Windows Surface and MacBook Pro, both iPad’s and iPhone 5S and another new phone shortly to be purchased. We will be upgrading the Iphone IOS 6.1.6.
I'm a bit confused on that request, but if it's to share across all those devices, what's wrong with using a simple text file instead? Of course there's still paper and pencil to keep it from getting too complicated.
We wish to air this app. Would be simple like grocery list so if I see something we need I can add it, it goes to all devices so we both know, jobs to be done, etc in list format as reminders for both of us.
By "air" do you mean "put in the cloud" or have online somewhere for cross sharing? Several easy possibilities come to mind. A shared email site (like yahoo, aol mail, etc) and keep a Draft email, or better, one in the Template folder, that can be changed as desired, set each device up for that account with IMAP access, and have the email account synced on all devices. Actually, that would be the simplest and secure. Going past that is a bit more complicated, involving a hosted account you control, secure FTP access, etc.
Any thoughts on a suitable app that would work across all of those? Ease of use essential given health.
4. FAMILY SHARING - I DON’T UNDERSTAND EXACTLY WHAT THIS IS? Husband and I currently use same password to log in to iTunes.
We are finding getting all downloads/apps on all devices and some he wants that I don’t want. Only things aired is calendar and hopefully a Note App as above.
Is this a way we can have separate passwords to iTunes yet still be able to access apps on account?
Obviously the iTunes account is setup to be synced so what is done on one is done on all devices which use it. You could try turning off sync, and manually control what's downloaded to each device instead.
I don’t relish giving my Visa card details to Apple, preferring if I buy anything to buy a gift card voucher.
Use Paypal then. https://www.paypal.com/home
Can someone clearly explain how this works, and if it does mean we can have two separate passwords, but still am able to access the apps if we want on different devices that would be wonderful, how we do it?
5. We run on WiFi ADSL 2 , new doodackie not here for another 18 months, at end of phone exchange. In addition an extension modem in another room as long house so wherever within home it “should” choose the stronger signal and automatically change to use that. HOWEVER….it isn’t. It is very adhoc, with heaps of drop outs, which is very frustrating.
Too many variables on this and you don't say what they all are. Bridged by wifi? Not all devices will do that. Used a cable connect? Coax or Cat5 cable? Routers shouldn't be "ad hoc" but set up as "access points". You could spend an entire thread just on that one subject.
6. Recommendation for free or small cost APPS Photo Editing App and separate Movie Making. Find the Apple Ones too onerous. Am desperately trying to fix things to leave for family and running out of time. Ideas really appreciated please.
Free is where linux comes in. I use GIMP and Shotwell for that in Linux. For windows there used to be free photo editing softwares from Kodak and Walmart, not sure if it was also for Macs. I see Walmart still has online photo store use, don't see the software they used to offer for offline use.
at walmart they linked to this software for offline use on windows and mac both.
At kodak the Easyshare software is no longer available for download. However they seem to have some different editing software now.
Home Center Software
Irfanview at sourceforge.net is a perrenial favorite in windows and linux, not sure if it has a Mac version.
GIMP is used across Windows, Mac, and Linux
Here's a list of top 10 photo software that's free.