Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

appcompat.txt

Most of the time I use Internet Explorer I get an error message that says that internet explorer has to close and details say it is in the file mshtml.dll and eventually leads to appcompat.txt. I have read every post I have found for troubleshooting this problem. Occasionally it does happen in outlook express but not near as often. I use xp sp1 and even going to sp2 does not help. I use avg antivirus with kerio firewall and run adware se and spybot search and destroy which do find assorted things but does not help this problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have even started over completely with reformatting drive and reloading xp. Recently I switched to mozilla as internet browser but actually do not like as much and problem does not occur.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: appcompat.txt
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: appcompat.txt
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: appcompat.txt

In reply to: appcompat.txt

Siamese,

The EXACT "MSHTML.dll" error would certainly help.

In the meantime, just a suggestion here...

Make sure to use a spyware removal tool such as the free ones at the links below. (Use them all):

Ad-Aware

Collapse -
appcompat.txt

I found that i had this problem & i read it had something to do with certain RAM.

Now when you build a PC and have your RAM say for example 512mb DDR400mhz RAM it's inserted into a certain slot on MotherBoard and it stays there for some time.

My experience is that i've had my computer for sometime & have done lots of things like upgrading, changing & reinstalling it all over again and never removed the RAM. What I did was swapped the RAM to the other slot and hey presto booted it up, gaming, e-mails the lot and i haven't had this problem for a long time now.

Now only do this if you know what your doing.

For people using 2 or more slots try swapping them around.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
x

"Error Message: Invalid Page Fault in Mshtml.dll (Q169747)."

"INFO: Explorer Caused an Invalid Page Fault in... (Q175379)."

"Clicking OK in About Internet Explorer Causes Error Message (Q178689)."

"Multiple Error Messages After Installing Internet Explorer (Q179636)."

"Illegal Operation" or "Application Error" Opening a Web Page (Q185512)."

"Mshtml.dll Error When Closing Window Before Rendering Finishes (Q193847)."

"Illegal Operation Error Message When You Try to Print a Web Page (Q194176)."

"Various Error Messages Displayed and Slow Windows Performance When Virtual Memory Is Enabled (Q239094)."

"Errors in Issue Tracking Solution When You Use Arrow Keys and TAB Key to Select an Item in the Sort Item By List (Q250332)."

"Invalid Page Fault Error Messages If You Install Internet Explorer 5.5 and Gator Software (Q253364)."

"Error Message in Mshtml.dll While You Browse the Internet (Q265244)", using Windows Millennium Edition.

"Unrecoverable Errors Such as "Invalid Page Faults" or "General Protection Faults" in Internet Explorer (Q276393)."

"Access Violation in Mshtml.dll" Error Message When You Use the Keyboard to Select Items in Drop-Down Lists (Q288285)."

"Error Message: Explorer Caused an Invalid Page Fault in Module Mshtml.dll at 015f:70cbb044 (Q298098)."

"An Access Violation Occurs in an HTML Page with a Table When You Scroll in a Small Window (Q309456)."

"An Error Occurs in Mshtml.dll in Internet Explorer 6 on Windows Me (Q318153)."

"Internet Explorer or Outlook Express Quits Unexpectedly with an Error in Mshtml.dll (Q816506)."

Collapse -
found it.

I had the same problem and found this.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q310414

Which pretty much says to shut off the feature. I did and kept it on for critical updates. I wasn't able to us ie before now it's working fine. but I hasnt' been very long since I turned it off. GL Happy

To access the settings for the reporting feature: 1. Click Start.
2. Right-click My Computer, then click Properties.
3. Click the Advanced tab.
4. Click Error Reporting.

To configure the error reporting feature: ? By default, error reporting is enabled. To disable it, click Disable error reporting. To continue to be notified when errors occur without being prompted to report the errors, click to select the But notify me when critical errors occur check box.

? Specify whether you want to use error reporting for the Windows operating system, for programs, or for both Windows and programs.

? To report errors only for selected programs, click Choose Programs, click All programs in this list, and then click the programs that you do not want to include.

? To add a program that is not listed, click Add, type the name of the program, or click Browse to find the program on your computer.

? If many programs are listed, you may want to create an exclude list. In the Do not report errors for these programs box, click Add, type the name of each program that you want to exclude from error reporting, or click Browse to find the program on your computer.

Collapse -
Me, too! What does it mean?

Siamese, and others:
I have lately been having a similar, and very vexing problem. Whenever I attempt to reply or forward an email in my Hotmail account I get the same error as you, Siamese. I can read my emails, I can send emails, but not reply or forward.

I've been experiencing this for a couple of weeks, now, and it is growing progressively worse --meaning it was intermittent at first, and now it's virtually every time.

I get this address when I check for 'more information':
c:\Document1\Rich\Locals~1\temp\173f_appcompat.txt

"Rich" is my user name.
"173f" is a variable from one instance. Other instances have yielded different numbers.

I have searched through support at microsoft, and not gotten a clear indication of the cause and solution.

I'm not a techie.

Please.... what can we do?

Thanks,
Radiomanok

Collapse -
"What" have you learned from the other threads?

In reply to: Me, too! What does it mean?

Many users question what the file "appcompat.txt" is -- open it in any text editor such as Notepad or Wordpad and look. "IMO", this file is generated based on compatibility application problems and becomes part of the error reporting memory dump information when using Dr. Watson for Windows and consist of data as follows, [Q310414] and "Data Collection Policy":

? Application instructions being executed at the time of a crash

? Data values stored temporarily by the application

? Program files and drivers that have been loaded into memory

? Full memory dump (dependent on type of error encountered)

Note: IMO, to circumvent such notices from occuring and the file being created, simply do not use Error Reporting or Dr. Watson [#2 reference above].

Collapse -
appcompat.txt

In reply to: "What" have you learned from the other threads?

Cursor Cowboy,
Thanks for your reply, but I feel I may not have effectively asked my real question. I understand that 'appcompat.txt' is part of the error reporting info that goes out when I choose to report the error. What I really need to know is what causes the error in the first place, as I desribed it. Do you have any idea why, when I try to reply to or forward a Hotmail email, I get a popup that says Internet explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close?
Thanks again,
radiomanok

Collapse -
"Hotmail" and "Appcompat.txt"

A. I get this address when I check for 'more information':
c:\Document1\Rich\Locals~1\temp\173f_appcompat.txt

B. I get a popup that says Internet explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close?

1. As previously mentioned, you should not get "A." above if Error Reporting is turned off and hopefully your system may deliver a more comprehensive error or one that someone understands and can find a solution for. Isn't the complete information concerning this file something like: "The following files will be included in this error report:" -- which you shouldn't be concerned with anyway? However, did you open the file to see what type of information it contains?

Note: The Appcompat.txt file is generated by the WinXP compatibilit

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.