Computer Newbies forum

Question

App or help finding computer with stuff I need on it.

by Smegmanometer / September 7, 2014 7:33 PM PDT

Does anyone know if there's an app. or a website which allows me to list what I need on new computer and it will tell me what's available or close to it on a certain model of computer ?
I don't trust or understand sales people. The school has asked my son to buy a computer with Windows 7 or newer, 802.11n 5Ghz capability, min 4GB RAM, min. 128GB storage, 6 hours battery life or more, Adobe Suite 6, MS Office 2013, plus antivirus protection.
I know I can get a computer made up with this stuff on it but is that the best option or could I find something with most or all of this stuff already on it. (preferably way under $1000 if possible). Sales people will say "yes", and lead me to a $2000 model I'm sure.
Also, he wants to do gaming on it so it would apparently a decent graphics card and whatever else those gaming Morlocks need on it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: App or help finding computer with stuff I need on it.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: App or help finding computer with stuff I need on it.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: laptop
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 7, 2014 8:05 PM PDT

Apart from the gaming, this seems a standard laptop, although the requirement for the battery life (given that batteries degrade over time, it has to be more than 6 hours to start with) probably makes it an 'ultrabook' (more expensive). But Windows, RAM, storage and WiFi shouldn't be any problem. For the battery life, however, get a written warranty that you can return it, if it isn't at least 8 hours during normal office-like use (that is, not looking at video, or - even worse - editing them continuously) in the first month of use.
Adobe suite, MS Office and antivirus most like must be bought separately, if a permanent version isn't included.

The requirement for gaming is not compatible with the requirement for battery life, probably. You better buy a separate gaming desktop (of dedicated console like XBOX or PS4), so he can game at home.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks
by Smegmanometer / September 14, 2014 10:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: laptop

Thanks Kees_B, Maggie776, Bob and James. I'll take all this into account. Yes, it sounds like keeping the gaming separate would simplify things. Also, from a minimal amount of research it looks like the 802.11 GHz takes it into a more expensive realm. Most of the cheaper models I've seen have a much lower GHz capability.

Collapse -
Answer
laptop buying help
by Maggie776 / September 7, 2014 10:17 PM PDT

Hi
Just like a person has a trusted family doctor same case there is a particular sales person that deals with it's customers in a most reliable way. I suggest you may either survey the market then buy laptop from where you feel satisfied you can also search the internet. You have already mentioned above the requirments in the laptop.

'The school has asked my son to buy a computer with Windows 7 or newer, 802.11n 5Ghz capability, min 4GB RAM, min. 128GB storage, 6 hours battery life or more, Adobe Suite 6, MS Office 2013, plus antivirus protection.'

I believe you may visit the shop and ask them to show models they have and select the one which you prefer more. You either take your computer expert friend or relative with you.

Collapse -
Answer
The requirement for gaming is not compatible with the
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2014 1:15 AM PDT

"The requirement for gaming is not compatible with the requirement for battery life".

On top of that, these batteries age quickly. The rating of most batteries is for 300 cycles which they consider the battery good if it has 50% capacity. So let's figure out how to get 6 hours after the first year.

Let's say they are unaware about battery life span and charge at night, run on battery during the day. So we'll need a 12 hour battery when new. And what about gaming? Let's take the #1 on the list at http://www.notebookcheck.net/Notebookcheck-s-Top-10-Gaming-Notebooks.98628.0.html and see what happens when we are on battery power and game!!!

Over 5 hours when WiFi surfing plummets to about 90 minutes when gaming.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-G750JS-T4064H-Gaming-Notebook-Review.116946.0.html

OK, that means to get 6 hours during gaming we need 4 times the battery power. That's going to add 8 pounds to the laptop weight.

Hope you can see why the new rule is ABC (Always Be Charging.)
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
that's a very minimum
by James Denison / September 9, 2014 4:57 AM PDT

requirement laptop which can be had for $350-450 price range of various makes and models.

Collapse -
Answer
Typically most PC's come with a trial version of Office
by orlbuckeye / September 15, 2014 1:46 AM PDT

so you will usually have to purchase it separate from the PC unless you buy the license with the PC. You can get the student addition of office usually throught the school. The 802.11n 5ghz means the wireless card must support duo band 2.4 ghz and 5.0 hz (2.4 is prety much the standard). There is a new standard thats hitting the market now and it's 802.11AC which is backward compatible but the 5.0 GHZ band has problems with walls and stuff. But the advantage of 5.0 less devices use it. Microwaves and other household appliances use 2.4 GHZ so the 5.0 band isn't as crowded. Basically all those other requirements are straight forware. Just expain you need a duo band wireless card. Intel makes a duo band card see link below.

http://www.intel.com/products/wireless/wireless_n/overview.htm

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.