General discussion

Apologizes for the extend forum down time/read-mode only.

Dear forum users,

We're back! Grin Grin Grin

After an extended site down time due to some unforeseen technical difficulties while moving the CNET forums to a new database, we are finally out of the read-mode only and back up and running in full gear! WOOOO HOOOO!

Through this period of time, our team has learned a lot from this overall experience and we hope to be never placed in this situation again. Hats off to all the engineers involved as they have spent tireless amount of days and sleepless nights dealing with our sites database move. These folks honestly are second to none!

Anyways I just wanted to apologize to our members, readers, manufacture reps, and moderators for the extended forum downtime and I thank you for all your patience.

I hope the forum withdraws weren't too bad. Wink

Thanks again everyone! Enjoy the forums once again!

-Lee Koo
CNET Community manager

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Apologizes for the extend forum down time/read-mode only.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Apologizes for the extend forum down time/read-mode only.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
?????????
Through this period of time, our team has learned a lot from this overall experience and we hope to be never placed in this situation again.

LOL, Who'd you fire?
- Collapse -
Re: Apologizes for the extend forum down time/read-mode only

Would this explain why I had problems login'n in here today? When I entered my email it said no such email address on file, couldn't request a new password because I was asked for my email which your site said today wasn't on file. I then tried to re-register my account, I then was told my email address was already on file. What gives?

Big Steve
10/22/10

- Collapse -

I never log in. I stay logged in. Saves problems. Hint, hint.

- Collapse -
Re: Apologizes for the extend forum down time/read-mode....

Hint,hint what?

- Collapse -
Yes it probably was that.

If the forum servers were down altogether then it's likely your login would have failed. The same login serves all CNET departments so when you attempted to re-register with the same email address that is why you got that "email address was already on file" error.

Since you're posting now I assume you're back in? Or someone's impersonating you!! Devil

I don't usually allow web sites to keep my login, but with CNET I feel differently because I am here most days. When you login there is an option for CNET to remember your login. I use that.

Mark

- Collapse -
Re: Yes it probably was that.

I'm back in, I have checked "remember my email and password" but I still had to manually enter my login information in tonight, I always logout of a site when I leave, I just do it.

- Collapse -
Another way, perhaps

Browsers can also 'remember' login details. You may have to check your browser settings or watch for any option when you login in.

For example with my Firefox browser and CNET forums;

I login in to CNET with my username, (email address), and password. I click the option for CNET to remember my login. I then hit Submit, (or whatever the next step is), and CNET logs me in. My browser then offers me a bar along the top of the web page with the option to remember this login, and gives me a choice, yes or no. For CNET I chose Yes.

Different browser may do this differently.

Mark

CNET Forums

Forum Info