Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Apollo Astronaut Says Gov. Is Covering Up UFOs

http://www.wpbf.com/technology/16990637/detail.html

The Apollo 14 veteran said that he believes the U.S. government has been covering-up the truth for more than 50 years.

"Military pilots, airline pilots, mostly, from all over the world, for 50 years, have reported these things, but they've quit because they're told to shut up and not talk about it by military and intelligence people," Mitchell said.

The 77-year-old said the deception began after the alleged alien landing in Roswell, N.M., in 1947.

Uh oh! Sounds like nuttery to me. Are ALL the governments on Earth covering up this info? Or is the US the only one that knows about it?What about the former Soviet Unbion? Surely this would have come out in their records.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Apollo Astronaut Says Gov. Is Covering Up UFOs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Apollo Astronaut Says Gov. Is Covering Up UFOs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dr. Pournelle's comments...

In reply to: Apollo Astronaut Says Gov. Is Covering Up UFOs

http://www.jerrypournelle.com/view/2008/Q3/view528.html#Mitchell

Good night last night. Unfortunately I missed the opening of George Noory's Coast to Coast, which had Richard Hoagland's take on Captain Mitchell's latest statements on UFO's

LINK

I've known both of them -- Mitchell and Hoagland -- a long time. Richard Hoagland is a strange combination of hard headed rationality, considerable if untrained ability in understanding technology, and amazing credulity even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. If there ever was an example of an intelligent man overcome by the will to believe, Hoagland is it.

Mitchell I don't know well. I was responsible for having him be the presenter of the SFWA Nebula Awards in the 1970's and had erratic contact with him since. I followed his sporadic attempts to demonstrate distance viewing and telepathy at Stanford over the years (there were, as usual in such matters, no unambiguous results but lots of "intriguing data".

I never heard him mention Roswell before (that may well be because I haven't been paying attention) but that certainly does not raise his credibility in my estimation. So far as I am concerned the late Karl Pflock, who accepted a commission from the UFO organizations to write a book on Roswell, and then chased down the evidence to discover that there was no alien presence at Roswell in 1947, demonstrated beyond much doubt that what happened there was a cover up, but not of UFO's; and there was no new technology, alien or otherwise, found at Roswell. (See my short comments and a reference to Karl's book in mail.)

In any event, I came upstairs to get something (flashlight and magnifying glass to examine the dog's foot, actually) just as Hoagland was coming on Noory's show, and he seemed a bit skeptical; which is intriguing. But I had to get back downstairs and missed. I presume the show is on the web somewhere and I'll try to make time to listen: it should be in the first quarter hour of the show's beginning; and I would be interested in Hoagland's take. When he's not overcome by his beliefs, **** Hoagland can be informative (and he's almost always interesting).
**** Hoagland is the "Face on Mars" guy, by the way.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_C._Hoagland
Collapse -
My workmate listens to that show here.

In reply to: Dr. Pournelle's comments...

I heard parts of it when he was out on patrol. Your take on the people matches mine in my brief exposure to the situation. Also something about the astronaut 'can't remember his moonwalk, and a therapist found an unbreakable mental block' in trying to talk him through it.

Interesting, but so is life on Earth. ("Interesting" as in the Chinese curse ...) Happy

Collapse -
RE: Surely this would have come out in their records.

THEN you would believe it.

Collapse -
I might, if there were any credible evidence.

In reply to: RE: Surely this would have come out in their records.

Like the outline of the KGB coverup plan or photos of the aliens or anything.

Collapse -
(NT) The US government is never wrong !

In reply to: RE: Surely this would have come out in their records.

Collapse -
Did anyone say that?

In reply to: The US government is never wrong !

Evidence is evidence, regardless of its origin. If there's any real evidence I'd like to see it.

I just think it's odd that NO other government has encountered these aliens, apparently, OR that every other government on the planet is also engaged in a similar coverup. Strains credulity.

Collapse -
nuttery... i like that word :-)

someone once said that since we entered the age of the pocket digital camera and cell phones that can take pictures it's amazing that the number of UFO sightings has dropped to almost nil

Collapse -
The "sightings" also match well with

In reply to: nuttery... i like that word :-)

the national mood. Cold war showed a spike, e.g.
BTW I found a great CD of The Day the Earth Stood Still. I remember it as a kid, and it hasn't lost its touch. The special effects don't match today's, but the storytelling is excellent.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.