Networking & Wireless forum

Question

apipa ip issue in wirless networks

by Sreejit_Menon / January 23, 2015 1:36 AM PST

hi!!!hey i work for a wireless broadband company and i get a lot of complaints where customer is using LAN and they get APIPA address instead of a valid ip even though the network connectivity and system is fine....some cust complaint that their system frquently aquires and leaves the valid ip !!!the wirless technology we use is WI-MAX inckuding ap and cpe ...can anyone explain why this problem occurs!!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: apipa ip issue in wirless networks
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: apipa ip issue in wirless networks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
There are some hundred reasons.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2015 1:42 AM PST

So I can't list them all here. Over time your techs should collect them all but your techs should get some top 10 to work with. It's not a mystery at all but given the rather long list of causes I won't type them all here.

Here's a thing though. I'm finding folk are growing impatient with how things work. If the machine boots up and takes a minute to get a good IP then some will call that a failure. You may have to develop a good script to talk about how things are sometimes not instant.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
maybe your customers
by James Denison / January 23, 2015 2:09 AM PST

just have a funny accent. You'd be amazed at some of things I thought I heard on a tech help call obviously routed to India.

Collapse -
Answer
Is this funny or what?!
by James Denison / January 23, 2015 2:53 AM PST
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/A/APIPA.html

"Short for Automatic Private IP Addressing, a feature of later Windows operating systems. With APIPA, DHCP clients can automatically self-configure an IP address and subnet mask when a DHCP server isn't available. When a DHCP client boots up, it first looks for a DHCP server in order to obtain an IP address and subnet mask.

If the client is unable to find the information, it uses APIPA to automatically configure itself with an IP address from a range that has been reserved especially for Microsoft. The IP address range is 169.254.0.1 through 169.254.255.254. The client also configures itself with a default class B subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. A client uses the self-configured IP address until a DHCP server becomes available.

The APIPA service also checks regularly for the presence of a DHCP server (every five minutes, according to Microsoft). If it detects a DHCP server on the network, APIPA stops, and the DHCP server replaces the APIPA networking addresses with dynamically assigned addresses."

What another waste from Microsoft. More interference than anything. If there is no DHCP just give yourself a static IP address in the range of the router and be done with it. Seems this looks ONLY for windows computers and one must serve the function of a DHCP server among those windows computers. As for his customers, seems he only needs to direct them how to turn on the DHCP part of the router.

A better approach might have been to use the same IP as the gateway except for the last number in the IP address, and then change the subnet to avoid duplicating any other system like Linux or Apple computers already on the LAN with static IP addresses.

What's wrong nowadays with them checking the router and seeing what's available to use for a static IP instead?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!