HolidayBuyer's Guide

Cameras forum

General discussion

aperature settings on digital lens NIKOR

by tiger1 / March 19, 2007 5:40 AM PDT

I am wanting to change from 35mm to digital and will stay with Nikon since that's what I have used since '69. I understand that some of my AI lens will work on the D200 body but there is a sacrifice in focal length. I figure the main lens to start would probably be around an 18-200 f2.8 if it's available but I am not clear as to the f stops on these digital lens. If a lens indicates f-2.8-4.5 where did the stops up to and including f32 go? Do I not need them with a digital camera?
Thanks for 101 in digital photography.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: aperature settings on digital lens NIKOR
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: aperature settings on digital lens NIKOR
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Film to Digital - Nikon
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 19, 2007 7:26 AM PDT

If you visit the Nikon website you can find if your lenses are compatible with the digital cameras. Most will be.

The change in focal length is a sacrifice on the wide angle end, but a plus on the longest focal length setting.

If you have a 18-200mm focal length lens the digital Nikon will see it as being 27-300mm focal length.
You use a multiplier of 1.5

The aperture specifications on a lens:

f-2.8-4.5 means:
If you use no zoom at all....the lens will perform as a f2.8 lens.
If you zoom all the way out the lens will perform as a f4.5 lens.
When you zoom you lose light.

A zoom in-between the two extremes will result in an aperture setting somewhere in-between. But it changes quickly once you apply any zoom.

You can find some lenses that are f2.8 all the way from wide angle to full zoom, but they are very expensive.

To find if the lens can stop down to F16, f32 or whatever, you have to get the specifications for the lens. The Nikon site would be one place to check out the specifications for a lens.

Collapse -
Thanks
by tiger1 / March 19, 2007 11:20 PM PDT

Snapshot2,
Thanks for the info. I have the Nikon catalog but in reading the specs for the specific lens they never mention how far the lens can stop down to but I'll check the url and see what they say.
Digital is quite a change from film, I'll say that!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.