Computer Help forum

General discussion

Aol vs IE

by karenblixn / October 9, 2005 8:17 AM PDT

I updated AOL about 6 months ago and since then, IE will no longer load or refresh if I am connected on AOL.

Windows XP Pro
AOL 9.0
Pentium III

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Aol vs IE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Aol vs IE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Karen, Have You Checked For Malware?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 9, 2005 11:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Aol vs IE

First, because you mention AOL, is this on a dial-up connection or broadband? Your other printer question which referred to wireless made it appear like you're using broadband. If using broadband connection can you still using Internet Explorer when not using AOL...In other words, can you simply double click on the Internet Explorer icon (the blue "e" on the desktop) and will it connect correctly?

Because this issue and your other problems could be related to malware, if you haven't already, please download, install, update, then run the free spyware removal tools from the links below:

Ad-Aware

Collapse -
Grif
by karenblixn / October 10, 2005 2:27 AM PDT

Broadband - adelphia cable modem.

Yes, IE works when AOL is not online. It can be open, just not connected. The wireless laptops do not have this problem, I can run AOL and IE simutaneously.

I do have a spyware program installed (pc-cillin) and it does schedule runs, as well as having spybot installed on the desktop, which I will run.

This problem specifically occurred with a download of a new version of AOL, so I figured it was a problem with AOL trying to be King over IE. My problem is I don't know where to look in the setup of AOL to stop it from being a bully. (I went to AOL tech when I first started having this problem and they told me to call Microsoft.)

Thanks again,

Collapse -
Karen, Tryt IEFix
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 10, 2005 8:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Grif

Unfortunately, AOL can take over a machine and it's one of the reasons I don't use AOL. But it's up to you...Either way, Internet Explorer should still be able to run correctly with AOL on the machine. Click on the link below and download the IEfix utility to your desktop. Once there, run it..See if it will rectify the Internet Explorer problem..

IEFix Utility
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm

Next, if that doesn't help, then run the WinsockXPFix from the link below to repair the connection issue.

http://www.iup.edu/house/resnet/winfix.shtm

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Grif

Collapse -
I have to agree. . .
by Coryphaeus / October 10, 2005 9:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Karen, Tryt IEFix

AOL doesn't play well with any other browsers. It changes over 250 files on your PC without your knowledge or permission. As you've found, you're now having trouble.

If you can use IE, why are you using AOL?

Collapse -
why aol
by karenblixn / October 10, 2005 2:22 PM PDT
In reply to: I have to agree. . .

As a pilot, there were times when my only connection in the world was an aol dial up. Now, most towns do have some sort of internet "cafe" for the internet, but its hard to trade in a 10 year old email address.

Will try the ie fixit links.

thanks

Collapse -
Karen, Why NOT AOL
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 10, 2005 3:04 PM PDT
In reply to: why aol

Unfortunately, AOL makes new users dependent on it's "fluff". There are lots of Internet Service Providers that can be used which are CHEAPER and less INTRUSIVE and many have "webmail" that can be accessed from any computer in the world..I happen to have three such ISPs. Two of them, which are dial-up connections, are free. In fact, with some of the new deals now, you can get half-speed for less than AOL costs. Since you live in Southern Cal, just like I do, just watch the advertisements for the $14.95 version of DSL..SBC/Yahoo or Verison are both producing such. My DSL account includes e-mail that can be accessed through an e-mail client such as Outlook or Outlook Express AND by using their webmail site which can be used ANYWHERE in the world as long as the computer is connected to the net.

I've changed e-mail addresses a number of times and it only takes a single message to each one of your current contacts which includes your new address.

It's entirely up to you as everyone has their own preferences but it's worth thinking about.

HOpe this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
tried
by karenblixn / October 11, 2005 10:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Karen, Tryt IEFix

Well, I tried both of these and still can't seem to get them to work side by side. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Collapse -
Re: AOL
by Tecumseh / October 11, 2005 2:52 PM PDT
In reply to: tried

Karen ...

I hate to tell you this, but there are many, many documented and unresolved issues with AOL's incompatibility with Microsoft's Operating Systems that go back over ten years. It's time to move on, select a new ISP (Earthlink is good if you need a dial-up connection) and change your email address. Heck, would you fly with a defective Autopilot?!!

Collapse -
this may be
by spy HH / October 13, 2005 7:17 AM PDT

Could it be that the new Aol requiers an earlier version of Internet Explorer. What IE version you HAve>??

NOte: you should know that AOl browser its the same as ie.

Collapse -
re: AOL
by Tecumseh / October 13, 2005 9:04 AM PDT
In reply to: this may be

"NOte: you should know that AOl browser its the same as ie."

Not exactly. It has the same engine, but all else is AOL.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ok
by spy HH / October 13, 2005 12:24 PM PDT
In reply to: re: AOL
Collapse -
AOL
by karenblixn / October 24, 2005 3:06 PM PDT
In reply to: this may be

I have the same versions of AOL and IE on my laptop and so far they coexist fine.

Thanks

Collapse -
try keyword
by vikas_k204 / November 8, 2005 4:17 AM PST

try few keywords,,,mentioned below if u have issues with IE or browsing with AOL...like KW-browserfix,,,,or KW-webutil.let me know wht happens.

Collapse -
key word
by karenblixn / November 8, 2005 9:08 AM PST
In reply to: try keyword

Thanks, I'll try the keyword fix.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.