Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

AOL Vs. Earthlink High speed

by hpinvent / June 22, 2005 3:29 PM PDT

I was on a trial with aol then earthlink but then i liked both of their services.And my trial for earthlink is almost up. So I want some people to help me on my choice. AOL or Earthlink.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AOL Vs. Earthlink High speed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AOL Vs. Earthlink High speed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
AOL just announced...
by Dick White / June 23, 2005 2:47 AM PDT

AOL will be terminating their broadband service by the end of next month, downgrading any remaining broadband customers to dialup. Perhaps they just helped you make up your mind?

dw

Collapse -
When...
by hpinvent / June 23, 2005 2:58 AM PDT
In reply to: AOL just announced...

when hey said that?? Cause they just started their own high speed service.

Collapse -
Today...
by Dick White / June 23, 2005 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: When...
http://www.modbee.com/business/story/10742545p-11522558c.html

It was reported as an email announcement to all their current customers. The service you may be thinking of that was just started is not AOL's own broadband DSL, but rather a partnership with COVAD to provide the actual DSL connection and using AOL as the ISP/portal. Availability is strictly a function of whether COVAD has arrangements with the incumbent local phone company for competitive access to the central office. It is not universal. But at the same time, recognize that COVAD is often the underlying DSL carrier for the Earthlink. So your question may boil down to which portal do you like - Earthlink or AOL? Either way, COVAD will run the signal to your house (presuming they have all the necessary agreements in place to operate out of your phone company's CO). But you'd need to explore exactly what is available on your phone lines; their breathless national advertising always has the asterisk and fine print in white ink on the white paper - "may not be available everywhere we advertise."

dw
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Friends don' t let friends use AOL.
by Coryphaeus / June 23, 2005 11:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Today...
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) AOL is a good company.
by hpinvent / June 23, 2005 1:33 PM PDT
Collapse -
I'm sure it is. . .
by Coryphaeus / June 24, 2005 3:09 AM PDT

I know they loved the 6 Billion dollar class action lawsuit filed a short time back. Yes, that's with a "B". They don't tell you that their software erases the MS DUN, they write their own, and they change over 250 files on your PC without your permission. They are very good. At invasion.

I tried them once a few years ago. I didn't like the way it acted and tried to uninstall it. After several hours of frustration, I had to reformat my HD to get rid of AOHell. And I do know what I'm doing.

Use them if you like.

Good luck,

Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to
use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about telephones,
internet connections, spyware, and data, and download free software.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What ever never heard such a thing
by hpinvent / June 25, 2005 6:55 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm sure it is. . .
Collapse -
The proof. . .
by Coryphaeus / June 25, 2005 11:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
.......Well that changes my trust with AOL
by hpinvent / June 25, 2005 1:02 PM PDT
In reply to: The proof. . .

I am shock. AOL be changing my settings on my computer..... i do not know what to say.

Collapse -
Welcome. . .
by Coryphaeus / June 25, 2005 10:33 PM PDT

to the world of the enlightened.

There are many ISPs that don't make any changes and allow you to use any browser or utilities you wish. All you need is a dial-up phone number, the TCP/IP settings, and a user name and password. You don't need to run their installation CD.

There is a phrase that I think I coined, ''Friends don't let friends use AOL''.

Wayne

Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to
use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about telephones,
internet connections, spyware, and data, and download free software.

Collapse -
DO Not Listen to Idiots
by baddog6915 / July 8, 2005 12:23 AM PDT

It is a shame that anyone would try to convince other people on something that occurred over five years ago and even then the case was dismissed. There have been FIVE upgrades since AOL 5.0 was released.
It is true that AOL is dropping its high speed offering, but that is because there is a thing called Road Runner. AOL offers customers the option of using AOL as a piggy back service to some other form of broadband for $14.95. I use SBCYahoo and AOl and I have not had any problems. I have used AOL since 3.0 and I have not had any problems except that with the included McAfee would exclude people from accessing AOL contents, but a patch was issued by AOL. The free McAfee Virus Scan is worth the price of AOL and that does not mention the content that is offered for free. If you are new to the Internet then consider AOL because it is like having training wheels on a bicycle.

Collapse -
That's correct
by likimikix / July 8, 2005 1:25 AM PDT

Some people would just base their beliefs on others'judgment. First thing is first, I 'm an AOL user
and somehow it is true that they change your settings. In other words, they make it dificult for you to use an other ISP especially if using DIAl-UP. Once I installed AOL on a computer and then I couldn't get direct connection from verizon DSL. However, I currently use AOL in addition to road runner and they are cutting my budget $ 59.00 for road runner and 9.95 for AOL ( in a service called Bring your own acces) the service is optimal. my internet connection is always on so I use Aol for the antivirus, the firewall , email, and the adware -spyware remover tools in addition to Spybot search and destroy. the conetent that aol offers is extremeely valuable .For instance, there was live coverage on the attacks to london. my last advice is use AOL if you like if not get something else (note they would offer you anything to stick with them when you call them up to cancel your menbership.)

Collapse -
by infinitelink / July 9, 2005 1:23 PM PDT

A bunch of providers provide anti-virus now. By the way,I too use McAfee, but now I mostly disable their own virus scanner and use free scanner that works really well (McAfee takes too much CPU etc.). Anyways, AOL really IS horrible. They compress content when it goes over their servers to save bandwidth (though you're not paying them to compress, for instance, pictures you want to view and then sending them in some arcane and dumb format few have ever heard of). It IS a pain in the butt to eliminate all that AOL installs on your PC, and when I DID use AOL once, I couldn't even connect without using THEIR crud software that advertises to you even when you've already become their customer. Furthermore, theirs no reason you should have to use THEIR software when it's running atop Internet Explorer. They ARE forcing their users to do what they want: example: if you want to use firefox, you'll have to open their browser, and that one. Not that you might want to use another browser, but a lot of people do. You'll also find it annoying, that if you use their services, it must be their way (by the way, AOL still DOES make modifications in your system I think). Ever use their Music service? You can listen pretty well from their own player and the library of songs you've payed for in THEIR software, but it's a pain to actually find where YOUR music is located on your computer. Strange? Maybe they've changed this since I last experienced it (my own father used to use it), but you quit their service, and the songs you've paid for one by one may no longer be accessible, playable, or whatever.

AOL is a control-freak as a company. They've bought-up and then sat on great companies and watched them die, and now that their old business model is failing (it actually is, their losing customers and subscribers who can get all and more that they offer completely for free, before getting more services when they get a new provider) they're changing some, but not as much as need be. A company doesn't become an angel very quickly-even in 5 years. If you're considering it, run, and if you're using AOL: DITCH IT!

Collapse -
Better off with older versions of AOL
by SpamHater / July 11, 2005 12:38 AM PDT

I've found with each upgrade, AOL just becomes more invasive. AOL upgrades are only better for AOL - not for the user.

Collapse -
True!
by SpamHater / July 8, 2005 12:31 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm sure it is. . .

AOL is fine if you never want to leave them - and if you like someone else making all your decisions and watching everything you do. But if you ever decide you want something more and try to uninstall AOL, it WILL cripple your computer! I have had to fix far too many computers for just this reason. Most require HD reformat do undo all the damage AOL has done. Well, that's with dial-up. No one in this area has AOL broadband, but with the damage their dial-up service can do, I'd really be scared of their broadband.

Also, AOL requires you to use their software and they provide you with all the ads & popups you could possible want. They install adware on your computer without asking if you want it. AOL litters your desktop with unwanted icons. If you want to use Firefox browser, you can, but you still have to open AOL (I.E.) browser and leave it minimized in taskbar. If you want firefox for security, that kinda defeats the purpose.

Many people do not know that AOL routes all your browsing through their servers, like a proxy server, but not for your protection. They do this so they can monitor your surfing habits and sell more advertising.

I've been with Earthlink dial-up for many years and we finally got cable run in our rural area last fall, so I could finally get Earthlink cable. I like Earthlink because I am free to chose what I want & don't want. They have good programs, but I prefer firefox browser and Incredimail for e-mail. I'm sure Thunderbird (e-mail) is just as awesome as the firefox browser, but I already had Incredimail and like it very much. So far, I've never experienced any outage on the cable, but I can use my 20 hours of dial-up when I'm away from home. At a friend's house, all I need is a phone line, a local access number for Earthlink (and they have plenty) and my email address & password to get online. I don't need to install any software to log on. I can also connect using my cell phone & a data cable purchased from ebay.

I don't tell people they should or should not use Earthlink, but I will tell you to use anything but AOL.
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this by some people who, for some twited reason, like AOL, but I'll just consider the source (AOL users) and ignore them. I know what AOL does to computers from experience. I even tried it myself, many years ago, for a few days, but didn't even keep it the full month. I had to reformat my hard drive to get rid of it. Anything that can't be uninstalled without crippling a computer, I don't want near my computer!

Collapse -
Right!!!
by Thorobred / July 8, 2005 8:24 PM PDT
In reply to: True!

There are many ISP's out there that provide great service. You didn't indicate if you are going to go with broadband eventually or stay with dial-up. Ever since getting cable, I have never looked back. Netzero also provides a good service at a reasonable price. AOL does not provide a broadband connection and configuring a wireless router to work with AOL and whatever broadband company it is attatched to, is a pain. When going out on service calls, we cringe when people have AOL sitting on top of a broadband connection. Why pay the extra money? A broadband company will always provide you with a browser and numerous e-mail addresses. I prefer to use Internet Explorer with an add-on (I use Avant Browser)that blocks pop-ups, wipes your trails and provides tabbed window browsing. Firefox is also very good and secure.
I also have had to fix many computers after people have decided to change there ISP from AOL. It does alter system files and AOL won't tell you what they are. On a home visit where the person was using AOL with Verizon DSL and trying to set up a wireless router, I ran into some setting issues and called AOL.
I later found that she had already been on the phone with AOL and they had her uninstall and reinstall AOL 5 times before giving up on her and telling her to call a computer store. When I got on the phone to talk to them, I finally reached someone who knew what they were talking about and was told " I could tell you what the problem is but, this call is monitored and I could lose my job over it". Yes, it was those altered DUN's files.

Collapse -
AOL SUCKS! Period!
by Tara Diddle / August 9, 2005 1:46 PM PDT
In reply to: True!

I had new Dell and thought what the hell I will try AOL as I was new to the internet too!
Now a little more versed I had to get a new computer as "True's" statement is correct, they infultrate your system, now with this new Dell (love Dells)
it came with an option to get AOL, which I cannot
seem to get off my system with any uninstall program, as it says to remove it I must insert the CD-ROM!
What CD-ROM? I never got a fricken AOL CD with it cause if I did I'd take that Damn CD and smash it into a trillian pieces!
Now the real problem I had with AOL was that ANY, and I mean ANY question I had for their "HELP" menu, or web-chat was never found, NEVER!
They SUCK! the end!

Collapse -
AOL is a good company.???
by jcrobso / July 12, 2005 7:13 AM PDT

I don't let my friends install AOL

Collapse -
AOL just announced
by ksgale49 / July 8, 2005 2:50 AM PDT

Actually, AOL isn't discontinuing there broadband service. They just changed the name to AOL high speed. I was using the AOL branded DSL and got the notice. I called and they set me up with the new service, which is cheaper and faster than before. I was paying about $50 a month now it's $30. With the new DSL modem I'm getting 900 kbsp. I was only getting 550 kbsp before.

Collapse -
AOL Just Announced
by scooter65 / July 13, 2005 8:55 AM PDT
In reply to: AOL just announced

I'm really surprised to see that you were paying $50 for 550 kbsp with AOL's DSL (or did I misunderstand?).. Now, after AOL changed their name to High Speed you are willing to pay $30 for 900 kbsp. Why? when you could have SBC's DSL for $14.95. I just tested mine, using Cnet's speed test during a high peak time, and am running 1230 kbsp. Go figure!

Collapse -
Re:Aol just announced
by BAWA1002 / July 9, 2005 4:50 AM PDT

Just to let you know. I was on DSL with Aol. True that AOL eliminated their DSL accounts, but they refered all those customers to their local DSL providers (SBC in my case) who can then take over their DSL accounts. In fact Aol now has me on a lower priced account of $9.95 a month for the same unlimited hours Aol service (previously was $24.95) and SBC has partnered with Aol to provide DSL service at $14.95 a month. All of this results in a much much cheaper package between the two than when I had straight DSL with AOL before.
I must congratulate SBC and AOL for it all going so smoothly. The only bump in the road was waiting on the phone for 65minutes listening to the same stupid song over and over again with SBC before they got to my call. ''Extreme overload of new customers starts'' was the excuse.
So I personally am staying with AOL.

Collapse -
I have Earthlink cable
by Steven Haninger / June 26, 2005 12:03 PM PDT

but Time Warner owns the cable. Of course TW also offers their Road Runner service in my area. Earthlink has agreements with other cable companies as well. I did not install the Earthlink software. I use my FireFox and Thunderbird for surfing and e-mail respectively. I generally get about 4500kbps down and 400+ up. Earthlink was once called Mindspring. I had their dial up service years ago as well. They have always had good support but I've not needed it that often. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
A teeny correction to your post
by love2win / July 7, 2005 10:06 PM PDT
In reply to: I have Earthlink cable

Earthlink was not formerly Mindspring -- ELN bought Mindspring. In the beginning was Earthlink only as a company that later went public. Mindspring is just one of their acquisitions. Time Warner (owned by AOL currently but which may be sold) leaves Earthlink alone to keep on operating its own way.

I'd be curious to know more about Thunderbird that you use for email -- I haven't heard about it.

Collapse -
Thunderbird
by Steven Haninger / July 12, 2005 10:31 AM PDT

is fairly well known and available through the mozilla folks who also have Firefox and the Mozilla browser itself. I used Eudora for a long time but its paid software for the full version and I think it cost me about 40 bucks. My needs are simple and Thunderbird has been working fine. You can google it and it's a free download. It sets up easily and will convert your configurations from other e-mail handlers. It did so with my old Eudora program. Thanks for the clarification on Mindspring. I believe they were out of Atlanta. Actually, I started with CompuServe. They bought a company named Sprynet and I used their service for years until they were acquired by Mindspring. I believe Earthlink was the next name in ring but I've had continuity from CompuServe days until today. When Earthlink offered broadband through TW, I jumped on it as DSL was not on the horizon. I heard cable could be iffy but I've been totally satisfied for quite a while and we've had 2 bumps in speed with no increase in cost so far.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ELNK hands doewn!
by Egg Fu Young / June 26, 2005 2:50 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What kind of talking you doing?!
by hpinvent / June 27, 2005 2:54 AM PDT
In reply to: (NT) ELNK hands doewn!
Collapse -
(NT) Earthlink Rules!
by love2win / July 7, 2005 9:59 PM PDT

I've been an Earthlink subscriber since January 1998, when they were still a little company in Pasadena, California, and their service is superior! My friends with AOL sometimes have problems with messages being deleted before they reach their mailboxes (not spam or ones with viruses, but emails that come from the same person in close succession). They have other frustrations, too, with service.

When I switched to broadband with Earthlink two years ago, I was concerned because the carrier for the service is the local cable company -- but the support comes from Earthlink, service is prompt, and problems are resolved quickly 24/7. In the event that the cable modem ever goes out, there is 20 hours of dial-up back-up service you can use until the service tech gets there. To me, there's just no comparison -- go with Earthlink!

Collapse -
Unlimited Dial UP
by baddog6915 / July 8, 2005 12:27 AM PDT
In reply to: (NT) Earthlink Rules!

With AOL as a broadband offers unlimited dial up, but I would be hard pressed to ever use dial up service. Not being a novice I cannot comment on the service because I never call for support from AOL. When I last had a problem it was because of a AOL software problem and it was handled as soon as I started to describe the problem.

Collapse -
Aol vs Earthlink
by gblayne / July 7, 2005 11:41 PM PDT

I have been using Earthlink DSL via Sprint for about two years and I "LOVE" IT! I have only had 1 problem with my connection,but between sprint and earthlink they found the problem and fixed it! It turns out that there was a loose wire on the phone pole out side that every time it was windy would loose its connection. There support teams(Sprint&Earthlink) are very easy to talk to and will keep at fixing your problem if any happen to pop up! My Sister was using AOL and was having many problems with her computer,i'am sure they was not all caused by AOL but many was,I took her off AOL and got everything fixed and she has not had any more problems. Hope this helps you decide!

Collapse -
AOL vs. Earthlink Neither
by fogfire / July 8, 2005 12:48 AM PDT

I know people that are happy with both. I know people who hated both.

You should know this. AOL and Earthlink are both Nanny ISPs. They spend a lot of time trying to take care of you, that includes filtering some ports to prevent YOU from spamming etc. Also using your own email server.

Note: Earthlink no longer advertises that they provide the WHOLE internet anymore, because they don't.

This means you might have problems using an email server outside of their service. I recomend setting up your own domain and email server. It can be done on thousands of webhosts for as little as $5 a month. But what it means it when you do change ISPs your email address doesn't have to change. You are always name@yourdomain.com. Godaddy.com can get you the domain for $9 a year and the email account / web page for I think as little as $3-$4 a month for personal use.

Look to ISPs that treat you like an adult, something like Easystreet.com (I don't use them or work for them) I buy my DSL line from Qwest and use a smaller local ISP that gives me great service and I am supporting a little guy.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.