Computer Help forum

General discussion

AOL Hijack of Internet Explorer

I am using Windows XP Home Edition, and I recently had to do a System Restore. It seems that Compaq is in some type of agreement with AOL, and AOL is set as my homepage in Internet Explorer. I have tried to change it through all the normal options, yet it keeps changing back to AOL. It's like having a homepage hijacker on here. I mean AOL? Get real.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AOL Hijack of Internet Explorer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AOL Hijack of Internet Explorer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How To Change Microsoft Internet Explorer's Default Homepage

In reply to: AOL Hijack of Internet Explorer

Collapse -
That doesn't work

In reply to: How To Change Microsoft Internet Explorer's Default Homepage

I have tried that already. I know how to change the homepage, it's just this will not allow it TO be changed. It will continue to go back to the Compaq/AOL homepage. I guess I will just have to live with it for now. The only time I use Internet Explorer is to make sure my blog looks OK for people who are still using MSIE instead of Firefox or Opera.

Collapse -
just a thought...

In reply to: That doesn't work

Check in your Trusted Zone.
Internet Explorer - Tools - Internet Options - Security - (click on) Trusted Zone
Scroll through the list of trusted site.
Do you find free.aol.com?

Consider removing it if you do find it.

Collapse -
On the start menu

you should see "Set program access and defaults, this can also be reached by going to the control panel and opening "Add/remove programs".

Put the dot in "Custom" and click the down arrow to make the changes.

Collapse -
Re: AOL Hijack of Internet Explorer

mountaineer2006, Try changing your Homepage in SAFE mode. If you have Zone Alarm installed try uninstalling it then change your Homepage then reinstall Zone Alarm. Many are having Homepage problems with the newest version of Zone Alarm.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Tufenuf it worked!

In reply to: Re: AOL Hijack of Internet Explorer

Thanks Tufenuf for your suggestion! It worked! I went into Safe Mode, uninstalled Zone Alarm, then went into Internet Options and changed my homepage. I restarted, and when I opened Internet Explorer, my home page was what I wanted instead of AOL. I reinstalled Zone Alarm, and my hoem page remains. Thanks again!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Glad it worked & Thanks for posting back.

In reply to: Tufenuf it worked!

Collapse -
and msn dont care nither does aol

i contacted microsoft on this problem.
waste of time. they dont really give a hoot.
because to use msn browser you have to dump aol...
or you have to type in the url evertime you want to use it
just one less browser for them to have to deal with
as for aol
they simply hijack the msn browser and keep it..
if your and aol member, you proable dont worrie about it.

you can down load google chrome and set the home page to msn.com
works well.. its the only way your going to be able to go to msn with
out typing it in..

i have tried most everthing suggested on the net with no avail
if anyone knows of something that will work please post it..

Collapse -
That's not fair.

In reply to: and msn dont care nither does aol

If you run a security program that protects the IE homepage against changes, you shouldn't be surprised if you can't change it. That's not standard Windows. That's not AOL. That's not msn. That's your own security setting. Only yourself to blame.

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.