Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

AOL Explorer

by willbill91 / August 21, 2005 8:25 AM PDT

Has anyone seen this masterpeice?!? Its a thing of beauty! Its a simplified firefox and a cleaner IE. Its the everyday web surfers deram. Tabbed browsing, Antispy ware, e-mail preview, an intergraded desktop search, RSS and XML reader and of course an in built search box. And oh yeah, its all for free. AOL Explorer is a browser that even huge Firefox or even Opera devotees should take a serious look at. Bottom Line....

Look out IE theres a new boss in town!!!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AOL Explorer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AOL Explorer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Im with you willbill91
by hpinvent / August 22, 2005 11:45 AM PDT
In reply to: AOL Explorer

AOL Exlorer is the best. Its like firefox and IE. But some people dont trust AOL. ...Firefox freaks!!!

Collapse -
Glad it works for you but it is not right for everyone.
by Prandy / August 29, 2005 5:15 AM PDT
In reply to: AOL Explorer

First - I absolutely love AOL 9.0SE so no bias against AOL. I am sure the new beta AOL worked fine for you but what good is it for someone that already gets instant response from SBC DSL pro for a DSL connection and pays only $9.95 per month for 9.0 SE (low rate since I carry my own broadband in an area that does not have an AOL DSL connection)? See my profile. Everything on my computer is squeeky clean.

Prior to installation of AOL's Beta Browser, AOL 9.0 SE worked fast and direct sign on to IE explorer which brought up SBC/Yahoo in a flash. Downloads and web browsing took place in a flash as verifoed by SBC's "DSL Speed test" run at www.sbcis.com which found I had close to a T1 connection at the DSL pro pice of $24.95/month.

I installed the AOL browser beta "just for fun." Found it is totally non user friendly, has more advertistments then a ANY website ever visited, and won't import "favorites" from regualar AOL9.0 SE. The new email configuration looks just like Yahoo which is not as easy to decifer as regular AOL Email. Further, it screwed up my ability to sign on to Yahoo and slowed sign on and web page loading when on regular AOL9.0 SE.

All works well now that I deleted it throuhg the add/remove program spot in the control panel. I don't doubt it worked for you but for the average AOL user that is totally satisfied, I say WAIT until AOL works out the bugs in the beta version.

Collapse -
Not trying to be mean but thats your problem
by hpinvent / August 30, 2005 8:56 AM PDT

Thats you o.k.

Collapse -
Not according to AOL tech support.
by Prandy / August 30, 2005 11:00 PM PDT

I just got off the phone with AOL tech support after receiving your copmassionate response, thinking I had missed something or done something wrong. In addition to having me remove all the files that were not removed when I used the add/remove programs, he informed me that there is no "fix" for the problems I described and that AOL has been inundated with complaints and comments similar to mine. He further recommended I go to keyword 'suppgestions' and write to AOL about my own personal experience. I am not going to waste my time since the regular version of AOL still works fine for me.

Thanks

Collapse -
Amazing AOL Support??????? NOT!!!!!!!!!!
by taboma. / August 31, 2005 4:51 PM PDT

Prandy, Do not believe that poster. I have AOL at the present time, where is all this amazing stuff and a new browser coming from? Thin Air!
Does not exist. I have the newest Mac version of AOL presently. Anti-Virus and spam blocking does not work on the Mac versioms. Plus the fact there are no new viruses for the Mac since 1998!

Not a good service and plan to drop them like a brick this coming month. Too many years of beimg booted off repeatedly. Losing my connection, and really poor service. Sending suggestions and receiving zip for a reply, and having to talk to Bombay, India Tech Support. What a joke!
Have a try at it. The tech group from Bombay have some really bad advise! Every tech person has their own version of how to help you. NOT!!!!!

AOL is lousy and is never going to get any better.

As an AOL member sending to another AOL member, I can send an attached download up to 12 Megs. I cannot send a non AOL member any files over 2 Megs or receive any files from a non-AOL member higher than 2 megs.
AOL is bad and getting even worse.

New York State AG's office is suing AOL for it's efforts to keep it's citizens from quitting AOL. Class Action Suit. Fact!
AOL has not paid New York State a dime at this time.

AOL is owned by Time Warner. Maybe the reason why AOL has been on a slide downwards.
Do not believe this crap about AOL getting better!

Kevin

Collapse -
You're on a Mac, Kenin. I am not.
by Prandy / August 31, 2005 9:45 PM PDT

I don't doubt what you say as it applies to Macs, Kevin. But venting to me (not sure why) would be like me complaining about the graphic design capabilities on a WINDOWS PC. Sounds like AOL ignores Mac users as a nuisance and just never updated the Mac equivalent of AOL 5.0. If there is such a thing, you need an ISP that caters to Macs is all it sounds like! Does CNET have a MAC forum?

My own personal experience with AOL 9.0 SE using XP, high speed broadband, up to date equipment and a "squeaky clean" system has been top notch. Yahoo comes free with my SBC DSL connection and I NEVER get pop ups whether on Yahoo or AOL, have never had a virus, rarely get SPAM on either one and can send large MP3 files on AOL with no problem.

Collapse -
Not Venting?
by taboma. / September 2, 2005 3:22 PM PDT

to you at all. Just trying to list the facts with AOL and the problems that I have had for the last five years with AOL.
Just be easy about the facts and learn about the forums and posts.
Prandy, Yes, there is a Mac Forum within the CNET Forum.
The Mods are listed as mrmacfixit and Bob Proffitt.
Very good forum issues.
If you ever concidered to drop Windoze and go to a Macintosh system, there are other Mac Forums set up for you also to post to.
Actually, any forum has Mac information on them as well as PC help from members.
Mac forums has PC help also from their members. Visa/Versa. Yin and Yang.

We all help each other out on the CNET Forums. We have to. Without helping, there would be no place for you to post to here.

-Kevin Smith

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.