HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

AOL access problems with Windows XP upgrade

by dawmsvlca / January 22, 2005 2:45 AM PST

We have a H.P Pavilion XT856, which came with Windows ME. My wife tried tried to up grade to Windows XP home version(which she got from here Grand Father).I believe that she deleted everything on our computer before installing XP. but now when trying to install AOL I get a message of "AOL not responding" when looking for access phone numbers(dial up).I have had a message of connectivity problems and have tried differnt phone outlets,lines etc... . When checking system hardware it show my modem working correctly.Is it the XP upgrde?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AOL access problems with Windows XP upgrade
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AOL access problems with Windows XP upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tried updating AOL
by Yew / January 22, 2005 3:38 AM PST

If you're having problems getting online to download whatever the latest version is, surely you can find a copy in some retail store somewhere nearby.

Collapse -
Try this
by hounta / January 22, 2005 4:32 AM PST
In reply to: Tried updating AOL

Find the latest XP modem driver but don't install just yet then go the control panel or device manager and remove the modem.
Shut down the computer and start, XP will find the new hardware a load the driver, then try and see what happens if the connection is still low then update that driver.

Collapse -
Why don't you just get a decent Internet Service Provider?
by sp_100 / January 22, 2005 5:31 AM PST
http://www.dslreports.com/psearch

Then you won't need to load any JUNK (AOL) on your machine because Windows XP (as well as all other Windows) comes with everything you need to connect to and use Internet/E-mail.
Collapse -
RE: AOL access problems with Windows XP upgrade
by jacugi / January 22, 2005 12:05 PM PST

Sounds like an incompatible modem driver. I recently experienced the same thing with an older system that I upgraded to XP. I would uninstall the modem and let XP re-detect it, then use a driver that you downloaded from the manufacturer's web site (if you can). The other option is to try another driver from the list that comes with XP, but that can be an adventure in itself. Good luck!

Collapse -
I think you are correct
by dawmsvlca / January 23, 2005 10:28 PM PST

I have talked to some others and they also have said that this is a possible problem. I will try to do as you suggeted, Thanks. Will let you know.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.