General discussion

AOL 9.0 Security Imposed Download

If anyone out there knows anything about this, please respond. I have a Dell 3000 home edition with MS office 2003 installed. I have installed one of my favorite games (Unreal Gold), but it's a pretty clean machine, as it's new and I haven't really had that much time to do damage. AOL is my ISP and I'm aware that they are invasive, but have not run across the recent occurrances until now.

When logged on, no problem, but when trying to log off, I get a message that someone else is logged onto the computer (No one else is logged onto this computer). This happened twice (once when I tried to force a shutdown because one of the splash screens AOL put up offered no other options except taking their download, then again after logging on. Should I be concerned? It's an AOL 9.0 security (forced) update. I already have Norton 2004, it's a new machine and I have only installed MS office and the game. I do not play online, only against the game itself and used the original cd to install and play, so I have not to my knowledge contacted any outside game servers, but have, of course been online.

I ran the Norton virus and got nothing.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: AOL 9.0 Security Imposed Download
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: AOL 9.0 Security Imposed Download
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
AOL Messup

AOL is an unreliable ISP. Do not for any reason trust their security messages. If you still feel unsecure download Zone Alarm firewall. This is a free tool that will keep your computer safe. It works to the best of my knowledge better than Norton. This should keep your computer safe.

Randy

- Collapse -
Thanks Much

AOL can be very invasive, as I suspect (but don't know for a fact) their downloads overwrite shared files. This is only my second machine, but I had to regularly reimage the first after suggested downloads. I'll try your suggestion. Thanks again.

CNET Forums

Forum Info