Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Anyway to delay a printer?

by GusGusGus / April 2, 2007 12:55 PM PDT

I've have a computer upstairs, networked via wifi to a downstairs printer. Sometimes I'd like to be able to change the paper in the printer before it prints - but that would mean going downstairs, changing the paper, then running back upstairs and clicking "print". Is there any way I can set the printer to wait a minute or so, to allow me time to change the paper? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anyway to delay a printer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anyway to delay a printer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Nothing simple
by jackson dougless / April 2, 2007 1:45 PM PDT

Best I can come up with, is installing some sort of remote control program on the downstairs computer. Something like VNC. You could use this to stop the printer from processing documents, change the paper, then tell it to start up again.

That, or rig up some kind of a switch that will turn the printer off and on.

If you had a print server of some kind, you could probably access it via the network, and tell it to stop processing queue documents.

Otherwise, don't think of it as having to make two trips, think of it as exercise. Couple of trips up and down a flight of stairs will get the heart going, burn some calories, tone muscles, all that good stuff.

Collapse -
just an idea
by jonah jones / April 2, 2007 4:42 PM PDT

after clicking 'print'
double click the printer icon next to the clock
in the window that opens click 'pause print job'

change/check paper and when convenient, click continue

jonah

Collapse -
No ideal solution
by joe_news / April 2, 2007 5:12 PM PDT

I don't think there is really any ideal solutions better then actually doing what you are now (running downstairs and back up) to your problem aside from actually getting a printer with two paper trays. If your in the market I'd suggest the Cannon PIXMA MP830.

Collapse -
Delaying a printer....There is a way...
by Papa Echo / April 2, 2007 6:04 PM PDT

There may be something at the "Printer spool". If you are googling, I think you will get much better results with delay print job. Here is a quick idea: Turn off the printer, and/or set it not to automatically turn on. So, when you click on "Print", you will get the error "Printer not ready";"Printer not on line"; "Printer error"; or similar messages. You will be "forced" to go downstairs to turn on the printer - just change the paper before doing so. Most printers will be able to continue.

Collapse -
To GusGusGus,
by Papa Echo / April 3, 2007 1:52 PM PDT

Have you been able to change the papers at your printer ? How did it work out ?

Collapse -
Thanks for all the suggestions
by GusGusGus / April 7, 2007 12:18 AM PDT
In reply to: To GusGusGus,

Thanks for the various suggestions, although none are really what I'm after. Before posting this, I'd googled for a solution including <i>delay printer</i> and various iterations. I suspect the solution I'm after isn't out there.
Gus

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!