General discussion

Anyone willing to pay extra for "Made in the USA?"

Would anyone here be willing to pay a few extra dollars for their LCD if they know American workers actually built it? I realize Samsung is not an American company. But, I would personally pay more for a good quality TV (even if it is not an American brand name) if I knew it was made in the US then buy a American brand that was made else ware.

Does anyone else share my feelings?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Anyone willing to pay extra for "Made in the USA?"
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Anyone willing to pay extra for "Made in the USA?"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
It's a bit more complicated than that

It's a bit more complicated than you might think. What does "Made in America" really mean? If by that you mean "all the parts were put into the case in the US", then that really doesn't bring a lot of wealth creation into the nation - most of the money still goes overseas.

If you mean "Chassis assembly + fabrication of the circuit boards", that still doesn't add much to the US economy - stuffing circuit boards doesn't take "labor" (as in "humans working"), it just takes time on the pick-and-place machine.

If you mean "Chassis assembly + board fabrication + components themselves built in the US", then you are starting to talk about a meaningful amount of wealth creation brought back into our country. Of course, now not only are you wanting Samsung to build plants here, you are wanting all the various chip vendors, the makers of the LCD panels, the passive component vendors (resistors/capacitors/inductors etc.), and so on to build plants here. Again, that would be great for the US economy. It would ALSO cost hundreds of billions for the companies to do.

That isn't going to add "a few dollars" to your TV - that is going to add thousands of dollars.

I work for an electronics manufacturer. We still do a lot of work right here in the US. But all the components we use to build our stuff are built overseas, because there are no US fabs for them.

You don't like that? Write the people who made it happen - your Congresscritters.

- Collapse -
any is better than none.....

right now our US dollar-slice of the pie is a truck and a warehouse retailer. We have to start somewhere, I'd settle for on shore assembly, and phone tech service back here where we more fluidly communicate....
I must add Samsung is actually the best with their offshore phone support, (LCD)which I would like to think is actually home (Korea) and not India.
I love my TV, hopefully someone will respond to my thread preceding.

- Collapse -
I agree.

I disagree with the notion that only having assembly in the US does not help the economy. Our economy is driven by people buying stuff. In order for people to buy stuff, they have to have a job to do it.

When someone buys from an American brand name that was manufactured elsewhere, does that really benefit the US economy? When that company makes a profit, who actually gets those dollars? The only people who make money are the share owners. But, until those share owners sell and take their profits, those dollars really are not adding to the economy. Plus, you have to buy those stocks first (which can't be done without an income to begin with).

Now, lets take a foreign brand name that assembles their product in the US. Sure, when that company makes a profit, those profits go into a foreign market. But, those US workers are getting paid for their work. Those workers in turn spend their wages to buy stuff, putting those dollars made on a foreign brand name into the US economy.

It is true that the US has let it's manufacturing die and moved overseas. And it is true that it will be expensive to rebuild the factories. But, the real threat (I believe) to the US economy now is the 10+% unemployment we have just hit. That is more then 1 in 10 people. When people loose their jobs, and there are no jobs to be found, those people stop buying stuff. This in turn will cause companies that make the stuff people are no longer buying to go out of business. Which in turn means more people are out of a job. The only way I see to stop this cycle is to put people back to work. This means making stuff here in the US again.

I consider myself very lucky to still have a good job. If I have the choice of buying foreign brand A who is keeping a fellow American in a job, versus American brand B who is putting keeping a foreign employee in a job, I will pick brand A. I even am now willing to pay more to buy something from a local business man then buying from the internet for the same reason. It is really sad to see business after business go under. People out down Walmart for putting local small business under, but I have yet to here someone criticize internet business for putting store after store, even national chains out of business.

- Collapse -
I would be willing.

I'm not a protectionist who believes all products should be made in America, but I am a realist; I believe too many manufacturing jobs have gone overseas, and a lot of Americans no longer have those jobs. No matter who a company phrases it, when the job is not available here, but is available in Mexico, China, India, then that means an American is out of work.

CNET Forums

Forum Info