PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Anyone using a physics card? What do you think?

by Dango517 / June 22, 2008 3:10 PM PDT

These are primarily for graphics enhancement aren't they? Do they boost overall performance in any way? How?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anyone using a physics card? What do you think?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anyone using a physics card? What do you think?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Last years shiny thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2008 11:57 PM PDT
Collapse -
My connection speed is 758kb/second maximum
by Dango517 / June 23, 2008 6:13 AM PDT

with little chance of that improving any time soon. What I'd like to do is improve the "stand alone"/off line performance of this PC with a hardware enhancement that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg. Remember the Pentium D processor I have can't be upgraded either because of lack of other D's being available (obsolete). This motherboard only runs Pentium Ds. If I replace the motherboard I still have the cost and connect problem. A physics card runs around a hundred bucks or less. If I get a mother board I'll get a good one $200.00 or so, plus the CPU ($300.00+). I could then move the physics card to the new board providing

.... does a physic card do more then improve graphic performance? If it doesn't then for me it would be a waste of money. If it does improve the CPUs and RAMs performance then it's mine.

Currently I have one PCI-e slot that is running my Nvidia 8600 GT video card this too will be up graded in a year or so. The physics cards run in PCI slots and I still have one available. We budget for annual system up grades. I still have money for this year. The question is how to spend it and get the best bang for the buck. My goal is optimum system performance at a very low cost while preparing to build a new system in a year or 2 or 3.

Current specifications:

<<< System Summary >>>

> Mainboard : Hewleet-Packard Asterope3
> Chipset : ATI RS400/RC400/RC410
> Processor : Intel Pentium D 820 @ 2800 MHz
> Physical Memory : 2048 MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM ) CAS, latency of 2 <<< very fast, money well spent, $40.00
> Video Card : Nvidia Corp GeForce 8600 GT <<< Vista performance index 5.9 out of 6
> Hard Disk : WDC (320 GB) EIDE <<< new 5/08, repairs are not included in our budget.
> Hard Disk : WDC (40 GB)
> DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-H20L ATA Device
> Monitor Type : COMPAQ COMPAQ FS7600 - 16 inches
We run dual Ethernet Adapters......
> Network Card : D-Link Inc DGE-530T V.B1 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev 11) <<<<< This has been a great improvement, BTW.
> Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RT8139 (A/B/C/810x/813x/C+) Fast Ethernet Adapter
> Operating System : Windows Vista (TM) Business Professional 6.00.6000
> DirectX : Version 10.00
> Windows Performance Index : 4.7 <<<< CPU and hard drives are the problem here. I want 5+. There is little I can do to improve the CPU but we can move up the hard drives ratings.

So, I'm also planning on adding a very small (40GB) raptor drive to this system to improve my performance, about $80.00. I'm planning on loading my OS in it and a few essential programs and my photos then "mounting" the remainder of my files and programs to a larger/slower 7200rpm drive for storage. In effect create a RAID system.

What's not being shown here is that currently I have a 250 watt PSU. This will be upgraded very soon (hopefully this weekend) to 500 watts.

In short "I want it and I want it now!" MischiefGrin

Collapse -
If you need to know...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2008 6:16 AM PDT

I did see that shiny system at a trade show a few years ago. Today's Tomshardware items could win a speed race today. However at the 10K it cost back then I thought it was a bit much.

Collapse -
All of this failed to load into the Jive program
by Dango517 / June 23, 2008 6:18 AM PDT

slower 7200rpm drive for storage. In effect create a RAID system.

What's not being shown here is that currently I have a 250 watt PSU. This will be upgraded very soon (hopefully this weekend) to 500 watts.

Cnet really needs to shut down this system for a few days of maintenance.

Many, many, many problems. Things are degrading accross the board with Cnet forums software. Time for a freash software installation for Cnet forums.

Collapse -
(NT) Or Linux.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2008 6:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
Whatever it takes.........
by Dango517 / June 23, 2008 8:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Or Linux.

Wow, system melt down it looks like to me. I'm not sure any of it's working right. Wow, I'd hate to have to straighten out that mess.

We run faster then the others they might not even know there's a problem, yet. Easier to see the shadows when your running at light speed.

Collapse -
Linux reminds me of these guys,
by Dango517 / June 23, 2008 11:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Or Linux.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gfZnWVoqZ8

just dead. Linux's best chance is to pull back to some place like this and gain strength

http://geology.com/world/india-map.gif

or one day they will wake the sleeping giant and then, SPLAT! No ... more ... Linux. Windows is changing hands as we type. Gates is a smart man, perhaps a wise man but tough isn't his game, sooner or later the game will get tough. The next guy, the one after that, sooner or later, Splat. Then Linux will be just a name in the history books like the Spartans.
Collapse -
hmmmm
by symon1980 / July 8, 2008 11:17 AM PDT

Oh really? why is it you say that? because people like paying $300 + for a crap operating system? businesses like paying licences for every computer they have that runs windows? People/businesses Want to fork out Cash to upgrade the hell out of their pc's just to run the latest windows? People like Paying for Software when you can get it all for free? People like being easily infected with viruses and spyware? People like the fact that the current o.s is crap and the next one is no better? People like being stuck on windows xp until support runs out?

Its the other way around mate, Windows cannot compete with Linux. Why do u think they have joined them??? ie Microsoft/Novell
Obviously Microsoft thinks linux is good enough to replace windows, or why would they make such a move? It is infact a losing battle for Microsoft...
You can't compete with Freedom and Free! Maybe you should take a look on the other side of the fence and see where all the REAL innovation is at. I would recommend Linux Mint, Pclinux, OpenSuse to start off with Wink
I ditched windows 2 years ago and have never been happier.
heres a little homework for you by the way

http://www.panug.org/news/articles/innovation.htm

symon.

Collapse -
more homework
by symon1980 / July 8, 2008 11:31 AM PDT
In reply to: hmmmm
Collapse -
And where did you go to school?
by Dango517 / July 8, 2008 10:27 PM PDT
In reply to: hmmmm
Collapse -
err? and your point is?
by symon1980 / July 9, 2008 2:10 AM PDT

ermmm. My post had nothing to do with the current status of the Market Share of Operating Systems, Yes we all know that Windows is still currently dominating in the market for Desktops/Businesses.... apart from servers..... doesn't take a genious to figure that one out. I was merely talking about the future for the Desktop/Business market share where Linux is rising and the real innovation is developing....i didn't say that linux is dominating the market currently, I am saying that it has the ability right now, and is on the rise as we speak.... Microsofts Monolopy is only tempory, it cannot dominate forever, especially against a better quality Operating System that is Free, the software is free, is just as easy to use, has a software replacement for everything windows has, and isn't run buy a major corporation who bullies its way and buy's out its competition to remain on top... Linux is playing it smart, its a battle Microsoft cannot defeat in the long run......
no matter what you say or think Wink

Collapse -
oh
by symon1980 / July 9, 2008 2:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
So
by Dango517 / July 9, 2008 3:17 AM PDT
In reply to: oh

Let's see Vista runs two mid-high range video applications at one time and a 2D gaming program with them and it's running Aero at the same time at a higher resolution. Linux opens one low resolution video application and a few windows. Even your own video shows Vista as being better. Even shows all that hardware at work. BTW, mostly it just looks like an ad for Linux. You can't fool me.

Collapse -
What you think no ones going to look at the link?
by Dango517 / July 9, 2008 2:30 AM PDT

I wouldn't count on it. Yes, they've been rising from what, zero? At .80% of the total OS it might take them awhile. Grin Your not fooling anyone. I bet you didn't know how few people are using it. The point being ... so few people use it must have problems. Certainly not the grand, glorious and wonderful OS Linux user speak of. You simply like it because it's free.

Collapse -
don't knock it til you try it.
by symon1980 / July 9, 2008 11:56 AM PDT

for 1, this is not my video. its a random from youtube. There are lots of other ones, 2.... I have Windows xp, and Vista on a different computer, and Linux on this one. I have been Using windows All my life until recently, I have experienced both worlds.. have you? All im saying is, instead of being arrogant and totally dismissing Linux because of the market share figures you see, atleast give it a try for yourself and then give your opinion. Your opinion about linux is blind and Invalid because you don't have a clue about what your talking about. But hey, its ok... Im not trying to turn windows users into linux users or anything, im just saying that it has ALOT of potential and is the better operating system in my opinion, because i have used windows and Linux. You havn't. So i dismiss your opinion.

Collapse -
;)
by symon1980 / July 9, 2008 12:52 PM PDT

oh, just for the record.... Happy
I don't want to go into a big list of details myself why i think linux is a better o.s than xp/vista, so heres a link for you to read the differences between
windows and linux. And what linux can do Happy If you are still not curious to try linux after reading this information then im gob smacked as to why.......
http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/

and this is my last post... Too busy this week to check back for a while.
I'll read your future criticisms and invalid statements when i get the chance
bye Wink

Collapse -
I use Vista and Linux.
by Dango517 / July 9, 2008 1:28 PM PDT
In reply to: ;)

Vista is much better but costs more.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!