Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

anyone use startlogic as a web host?

by jeremy128 / March 20, 2006 12:43 AM PST

If anyone uses startlogic, please tell your experience with them. I am considering them as a web host.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: anyone use startlogic as a web host?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: anyone use startlogic as a web host?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have been using them
by 4-HMom / September 28, 2006 12:50 PM PDT

I started using startlogic as the host for our 4-H group. The service department has been very courteous and helpful. However, they do not support what I need. I need an interactive calendar and they do not have one. You cannot just upload your images. You must first obtain the URL and store the pic somewhere like photobucket. You are very limited on what your site looks like with the builder they have and that was the one area where service could not help me. There are no tools to wrap text around your images, change page layout, etc. They do support sites built from FrontPage. Bottom line, there has got to be a better place for someone like me, who is not "in the know" to have a site built. They are nice, but at the moment they are completely down and when you try to access my domain name, it says it doesn't exist at all. So I will be looking for another host before my 30 day guarantee is up in a couple of weeks. Best of luck to you.

Collapse -
Not to bad, if you know what you are doing
by Martin1st / October 18, 2006 7:09 AM PDT

I have been using StartLogic for some time, and in the beginning there were some outages but nothing really big or long. Max a day if I remember.
The maintenance interface is vDeck. If I were completely novice about building web pages I would probably not go for StartLogic at first, or actually paid web host at all. They have got some software bundled(forums, portal system, and some other ''goodies'')
The bottom line is that if you know what you are doing (using ftp, managing DB's and generaly have worked on web pages before) they will work just fine, for the price they are not bad on their service. They have a good online support help desk and phone service ain't bad to.

Collapse -
Never use them! Wors' support ever!
by manilodisan / October 29, 2006 6:45 AM PST

My page has 15k and it takes 5 seconds to load. Tested it on my other server and takes 1 sec. To ftp is hell. And we're talking about a virtual private server. CPU - 99% all of the time. Never goes lower. My footer now says: " If you want your website to go this low chose Startlogic"

- it will always have this line.

Support: There's no support, you're talking with robots giving you the same reply, "post a ticket" and the waiting is very long.

Thank you,
http://www.roscripts.com

Collapse -
Stay away from Startlogic !
by x5l / November 15, 2007 2:19 AM PST

The worst service we have ever seen. Server is down frequently. Help line is a joke, hours of elevator music without a real person and it took weeks to get an email response. BBB already removed them from rec list due to too many complaints. The funny thing is that all the good reviews are from the site sponsored by Startlogic to make customers like us fall into the trap. If you look hard through the web, you will find thousands of complaints from so many unhappy customers... Be careful!

Collapse -
Negative Experience ... use caution
by thepoet2008 / February 1, 2008 9:57 AM PST

Beware of this company. The customer service and technical support is very poor. Search for complaints on them, and check the Phoenix Better Business Bureau. I wish I had before doing business with them. This is for real ... no joke.

Collapse -
i haven't
by JanetteLT / February 10, 2008 12:17 PM PST

=( sorry

Collapse -
They've gotten worse if that's possible
by foobah / June 25, 2008 10:38 AM PDT

I transferred my site over about a year ago when my Canadian hosting company raised their prices. Everything went very smoothly, and I was up and running in less than 48 hours. This time We started on a Friday afternoon to transfer a client's site and realized on the following Wednesday that the site was still on the former company's servers. When I contacted sales and then tech support they told me it was our job to go into THEIR Registrar and change the name server information. When I said that no one had told us this and if I hadn't called we'd have gone down when we shut down the other account, their response was: "Then you would have learned you had to do it." Wow! They are a bit cheaper, but not worth the hassle. I didn't mention having to spend about 6 hours in their chat window and on the phone nursing the whole initial process along. (Should I have suspected something was wrong when their tech support guy, Samson, didn't know what I was talking about when I asked how Delilah was?).

Collapse -
Startlogic, BBB, unauthorized withdrawl on our credit card
by darrelmcfadden / May 4, 2009 2:48 PM PDT

angry customer of startlogic, 04th 2009f May, 2009
we are very very disgusted with this company, startlogic. We signed up for a 2 year web site, but after a couple months our product failed, and so the web site was useless and unused. At the end of 2 years they billed us $185. dollars and charged it through our credit card without letting us know. No email, no notification at all. The web site they charged us for has been dead for a year and a half! We did not authroize them to go into our credit card and take money for another 2 year contract. This is fraud. This is not acceptable buisness practice and we are very shocked and disgusted with startlogic. We will be talking to the Better buisness breureau, BBB tomorrow and everyday for the next 2 years or until these charges are reversed. We phoned startlogic today, but they would not give us any options to cancel. angry customer of startlogic This is not acceptable buisness practice and we are very angry. We will be talking to the Better buisness breureau, BBB until these charges are reversed. We phoned startlogic today, but they would not give us any options to cancel. angry customer of startlogic This is not acceptable buisness practice and we are very angry. We will be talking to the Better buisness breureau, BBB tomorrow and everyday for the next 2 years or until these charges are reversed. We phoned startlogic today, but they would not give us any options to cancel. angry customer of startlogic

Collapse -
Always getting the runaround
by timmymason / May 13, 2009 2:43 AM PDT

I have trouble getting adequate support from these cats. I use several servers and while startlogic has a lot of great features, they simply lack in the area of support. I get excuses instead of results.

They say I have unlimited bandwidth and server space but when i tried to use it they sent me a violation email and threatened to shut me down.

They said I had to use youtube.com to store videos and 50mgs.com to store music files. BAsically all they permit is small companies who dont take up space.

Also the mail service for my websites do not get the capability to change their own email passwords. Thats a burden placed on me.

This company has near 50,000 websites under its belt, you thinks they would have this feature on lockdown like bluehost.com.

Collapse -
Startlogic Client
by totalpr / May 6, 2010 8:29 AM PDT

I would find another host. I've had problem after problem from being charged for items without notification to changes in prices when the contract stated that buying it a certain price would not change.

Not very customer friendly either. Staff are unprofessional when dealing with professional. I believe they are too young to have much experience in dealing with the public and have had very little training in working with the public.

I'm in the process of changing all my client accounts to another hosting site.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?