Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Anyone seen Avatar the movie?

by Dango517 / January 24, 2010 9:14 PM PST
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeh2KILn7O4

The special effects in the movie are outstanding! Last I heard it was close to topping the best selling box office of all time. This film is a "must see" motion picture if for no other reason then to "see" it. Stunning piece of work by James Cameron, stunning.

The film is nearly three hours long, can be seen in 3D and in 3D Imax.

Watch this one on the big screen!
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anyone seen Avatar the movie?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anyone seen Avatar the movie?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This is not an advertisement
by Dango517 / January 24, 2010 9:23 PM PST

this is an endorsement for a fine film, by the way.

Collapse -
My son saw it
by Angeline Booher / January 25, 2010 12:02 AM PST

.... at one of those super-duper 3D IMax theaters, and said it was great.

Angeline

Collapse -
My son age 23 saw it, and although I would have expected
by Ziks511 / January 25, 2010 1:42 AM PST
In reply to: My son saw it

it to be right up his street, he didn't like it. Wish I could remember the movie that he said it was a copy of without much variation. I'm not really interested for some reason. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Rob

Collapse -
That's the first time I've heard copy
by Roger NC / January 25, 2010 6:52 AM PST

I've heard several people's comments, and most are favorable. A few weren't thrilled, and a few comments were made about apparent agendas within the film. However, others I know that I would expect to complain about agendas in the movie liked the film and didn't think that aspect was that strong. But I've not seen or heard anything suggesting it was a copy. Indeed, nothing I've heard or read even hints at derivative of something else. If you remember what it supposedly copies, I'd be curious to know. I will note that if you're a big SciFi and/or fantasy reader, there isn't many stories that can't be compared at least in part to others you've read in the past. So perhaps it is something similar here. My wife with the 3D set up. It seems to cause her headaches watching 3D in the past. I just have annoyances with trying to wear their glasses along with mine. Don't know if the newer techniques and glasses will cause her less trouble. I suspect it's something about the 3D effects and the glasses interacting badly with her contacts, particularly since one contact is sized for closeup work and the other for distance. I also have problems with that long in the theater seat, even the newer one we go to with nice seating. Often my hip or leg will start to ache and I can't find a comfortable position. I still go to movies occasionally (couple of times a year), but it's getting more difficult with the longer movies. So even though many say you have to see it in 3D, I'm not sure whether we'll see it until we watch it in 2D at home.

Collapse -
One claim I've seen...
by EdHannigan / January 25, 2010 7:22 AM PST

is that it's a ripoff of the novel, Call Me Joe by Poul Anderson. I've also seen it said that it steals a lot of elements from the Halo video game. Some have also cited Disney's Pocahontas and Dances with Wolves. And there was another movie that was also claimed (don't remember what it was).

The thing is with Science Fiction, especially Sci Fi adventure movies, is that there are so many themes and elements that are shared (alien life forms, space/time travel, Galactic empires, robots/androids/artificial beings, etc...) that it's hard to come up with something truly original or unique. And if you did, it would probably not get much of an audience. A movie usually has to hit certain marks to be commercially viable.

If you read or watch enough of the stuff some influences may seep in without your realizing it. Look at Star Wars... basically theft of he sci fi canon and other things all the way, and no one seems to care.

I haven't seen it. I'm not that interested in it, but maybe once I see it (probably at home) I'll change my mind. Not worth it to me to put on those glasses.

Collapse -
Delgo
by EdHannigan / January 25, 2010 7:55 AM PST
In reply to: One claim I've seen...
http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00028333.html

Soon after the release of the film's teaser trailer in August, "Avatar" was hit with a potential lawsuit from Fathom Studios after many pointed out similarities of the movie with "Delgo". Of it, a spokesperson for the studio said, "From what we have seen, we are amazed by the visual similarities between the two films and we are reviewing what legal options may be available to us."
Collapse -
I had free tickets so didn't see it in 3D
by Diana Forum moderator / January 25, 2010 12:11 PM PST

and still enjoyed it. No funny glasses.

Diana

Collapse -
Halo video game...
by J. Vega / January 26, 2010 2:02 AM PST

The ring shaped setting in Halo reminds me Larry Niven's book Ringworld in 1970.

Collapse -
Yep! A direct ripoff, IMO.
by EdHannigan / January 26, 2010 2:37 AM PST
In reply to: Halo video game...

But it's becoming a Science Fiction standard, like Dyson Spheres.

Collapse -
i believe there is a Russian movie
by jonah jones / January 25, 2010 7:55 PM PST

that has the same plot (and, if i'm not mistaken)
the planet is called Pandora

Collapse -
here's a link
by jonah jones / January 29, 2010 5:57 PM PST
http://scifiwire.com/2010/01/was-avatar-ripped-off-fro.php

The British Guardian newspaper reports that Russian audiences are noting the movie's similarity to The World of Noon, or the Noon Universe, created by popular Soviet fantasy writers Arkady and Boris Strugatsky, a cycle of 10 best-selling science fiction novels written in the mid-1960s.

Collapse -
Hey!
by Dango517 / January 29, 2010 6:19 PM PST
In reply to: here's a link

Isn't that a switch/ Aren't they accused of stealing our stuff most of the time through bootleg, knock off CDs/DVDs. Turnarounds fair play I suppose. Well it might not be fair but it's the way it is.

Collapse -
It's eye candy
by Dango517 / January 25, 2010 12:05 PM PST

to be seen.

The film is, I believe, PG 13 and intended for a teenager/young adult audience. The story line reflects this audience. It's sort of a mechanical warrior verses the Indians theme, odd but true. Yep, seems to be a bit political in content. Visually the characters could have been a little more lifelike to match the superb environmental elements.

All this aside, the special effects are WOW! WOW! WOW! So near lifelike it's incredible. A technological master piece. A must "see".

Collapse -
Sniff, sniff, I smell a data rat.
by Dango517 / January 27, 2010 9:42 PM PST
In reply to: Avatar is #1

Hmmm, about those data adjustments. Avatar has only been out for about a month the other film data cited was for total sales during the "run" of the films listed but of course that wasn't said. Looks like someone is not happy with Avatar's success and wants to toss a 'wrench in the works".

http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/wrench+in+the+works.html

Collapse -
i like the way this guy thinks
by jonah jones / January 29, 2010 4:45 PM PST

The latest target for the search for hidden meanings has been Avatar, James Cameron's sci-fi extravaganza pitting the ruthless mercenaries of a mining company against the native inhabitants of a beautiful tree-covered planet called Pandora. Yet putting to one side for the moment as to whether Avatar is secretly an ode to the tree-hugger lobby, an anti-war diatribe, a comment on the military-industrial complex or really a cunning ploy to sell more popcorn and 3D glasses

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/with-movies-often-what-you-see-is-all-there-is-20100128-n1bt.html

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.