Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

anyone own a Toshiba Gigabeat F20?Pls help me wif these ques

by maykawaii / December 31, 2004 12:21 AM PST

Hi,
I am thinking of getting a 20G Mp3 player,
but i don't want to get an ipod.
I have read through a lot of posting and finaly narrow down to 2 players: Toshiba Gigabeat F20 and Creative Zen Touch.
However, it's difficult to find a review about this player(even if the review does exists, i think it'll most probably be in Japanese).So i just have a few questions on the Toshiba player, before i make my final decision, so i'll really be grateful if someone could kindly help by answering these questions:
1)How's the player generally?
2)is it easy/convinient to use?
3)All files can only be upload to the player using the bundle software,is it true? Can all types of MP3 be uploaded(including those that i record it myself)?
4)how's the quality of sound for this player?

Thanks =)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: anyone own a Toshiba Gigabeat F20?Pls help me wif these ques
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: anyone own a Toshiba Gigabeat F20?Pls help me wif these ques
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
New Toshiba Gigabeat F series
by benedicte / January 6, 2005 11:26 AM PST

Hi there,

This is not really the answer to your questions, but just to inform you. I've bought a Gigabeat F20 recently in Tokyo, and I've just realized that it can operate only with a PC with japanese environment. And my PC works with windows in english... So I'm actually unable to use it. (I've asked Toshiba if it's possible to get a version compatible with english windows, but I'm still waiting for their answer). What PC environment do you have ? Toshiba says that Gigabeat F series can operate only with Gigabeat software, even if you want to download music from your CDs (you have to go through the "gigabeatroom", on their website). They say it's a protection against piracy. Gigabeat software is operating only with windows Me or XP version.
Nevertheless, Gigabeat F series are really really compact and the "+" key seems to be really convenient. But they are still a bit expensive.
Keep in touch !
Benedicte

Collapse -
Re: Toshiba gigabeat
by maykawaii / January 6, 2005 11:33 PM PST

Hi,
My PC's OS is Windows ME.Does the software really been able to work on this OS? Because the gigabeat's site states that the softwares works on Windows XP and Windows 2000.So i am wondering will it works with my PC..
As i know, Toshiba is also selling this player in Hong Kong(I'm planning to get it in Hong Kong actually),so i bet they should have the software which is compatible with other Windows. ( People in Hong Kong shouldn't be using Japanese version Windows~)
Btw, really thanks for your reply and comments on the player.
=)

Collapse -
Noise between songs playback and also HDD runng
by kinghung / February 2, 2005 11:17 PM PST

Anyone has this experience: when we press next button to next song during playback, u will hear some "sound" (like a spark), especially when turn on SRS WOW. But it doesn't happen if we don't control songs playback (press next), let it playback by itself.

And also, I can hear a "kick" sound everytime when I select a new song or press next during playback from the HDD (not by earphone)

Are those issue normal ?

Collapse -
Re: Noise between songs playback and also HDD running
by cherrysnow / February 3, 2005 12:21 PM PST

I don't hear that sound when I press the "next" button, but I can't speak for the SRS WOW. I never use it.

As to the HDD drive noise, I think that's normal. I also had iPods before and they made that noise too. Every hard drive based MP3 player I've had made that noise.

Collapse -
Gigabeat F20 Noise during playback
by kinghung / February 3, 2005 10:12 PM PST

Thanks very much, but I really hear it, and also I have called Toshiba HK Ltd, the staff have tested it, and reported to me, their F20 also has this "spark" sound when press "next" during playback!
But thanks anyway!

Collapse -
Gigabeat F20
by Sofimuse / March 3, 2005 3:13 AM PST

Hello.

I'm not sure whether you are alright with the player by now but... I bought my Gigabeat from Hong Kong before christmas. It came with full english programs. The only problems I have had have been attatching images. Is there not a way to attatch album art in bulk? And files that are "not found" being uploaded.

If you're updating software from the Japanese site, use Altavista babblefish: it sorted me out.

Sofi x

Collapse -
Toshiba Gigabeat F20
by wkvong / January 9, 2005 11:53 AM PST

I have just bought this MP3 player in Hong Kong and I can answer some of your questions.

1) I like this MP3 player in general. It comes with an AC adapter, earphone (quality is ok but the look is bad ;p), Gigabeat Room (synchronization software) CD, USB cable and manual.

2) It is easy to use with the "+" button (the help of the "+" button are always shown on the LCD display). There are 4 buttons (power, menu, vol control, A) at the side and a key lock button at the top. The "A" button is a user defined quick function button. I didnt read the manual but I know how to use it after playing it for 10 min.

3) Yes all types of MPS files can be uploaded. However, you have to use the Gigabeat Room CD to upload the music files. The Gigabeat Room software can be used to rip music CD directly to the player but you cannot use it to rip CD into your PC. It is quite stupid IMO. Anyway, I am using iTune or CDex to rip the CD music to my PC first and the Gigabeat Room software for synchronization only. BTW, if you are familiar with the Microsoft Media Player 9/10, you can install a driver which comes with the Gigabeat Room CD. Then you can use MMP to upload your music files to the player.

4) Sound quality is good.

BTW, Toshiba said they will upgrade the firmware soon for viewing JPEG photo. (MPEG2 and MPEG4 movies later)

Cheers.

Collapse -
caution
by smcinnes / January 9, 2005 6:56 PM PST
In reply to: Toshiba Gigabeat F20

Just be careful that you are going to be able to run the software on your PC. I brought a Gigabeat F20 in Japan and have had quite a headache getting the software running (in the end it actually Runs in Japanese within my English version of Windows XP Pro). Once I got the software going however, I've got to say I love this little guy. the screen is so clear and the sound is crisp as!!

Collapse -
question about gigabeat room
by mmss939 / February 8, 2005 5:20 AM PST
In reply to: caution

SO are you guys saying that it still can install in english comupters?? **please say yes** and also still work but all in japanese right. Please respond to this r anyone who has the gigabeat room.

**i have windows xp home**

Collapse -
Gigabeat software
by benedicte / January 9, 2005 8:38 PM PST

Just a question, as I understood that you bought your Gigabeat in Hongkong : Do you have a software (Gigabeat room) that is compatible with non-japanese version of Windows ?
I've posted some message on this forum explaining that I'm looking for such software.
I hope you will answer me YES !
Benedicte

Collapse -
RE: Gigabeat software
by wkvong / January 10, 2005 10:16 AM PST
In reply to: Gigabeat software

YES!

I am useing Windows 2000 English version. The Gigabeat Room works fine on my PC and all drop down manu/help are in English Happy

I can send you the CD image if you like. Toshiba claimed that this is a FREE software and I guess it is ok to help another Gigabeat F20 owner... hehe

Cheers.

Collapse -
RE: Gigabeat software
by did_J / February 17, 2005 2:43 PM PST
In reply to: RE: Gigabeat software

hi wkvong,

I have got a Toshiba gigabeat F10, but the Giga Room is in Japanese.
Could u please send me the english version that u've got.

thanx a lot

Collapse -
Gigabeat Room 2 and new firmware have been released!
by kinghung / April 1, 2005 10:50 AM PST
In reply to: RE: Gigabeat software

Please check toshiba site!
They are available now!

Collapse -
new firmware released?
by calvin_ng_ / April 1, 2005 2:14 PM PST

Hey, are you sure its on the Toshiba website? I've been waiting this for ages - I basically check everyday and nope, I don't think I can see it

If youve got it, can you please post up the download links? I really look forward to the firmware update

thanks

Collapse -
calvin_ng_
by eshinkawa / April 4, 2005 12:20 AM PDT
In reply to: new firmware released?
Collapse -
Re:Gigabeat Room
by maykawaii / January 10, 2005 12:40 AM PST

Hi,
thanks for the reply.
I'll just like to know if the software work on Windows ME environment.It's stated in the web site that is works on windows XP, windows 2000 but didn't mention about windows ME.So i am wondering will it be compatible with my computer, which is woring on Windows ME OS.
Thanks. =)

Collapse -
Re:Gigabeat Room
by wkvong / January 10, 2005 10:24 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Gigabeat Room

I am not sure if it works on Windows ME since I am using Windows 2000. I guess it wont work on Windows ME.

Collapse -
gigabeat room english
by ka713 / January 10, 2005 8:44 PM PST
In reply to: Re:Gigabeat Room

hi
i also hav a japanese version of gigabeat room, wkvong. i hear that you have a english version...how do i go about getting this?

Collapse -
RE: gigabeat room english
by wkvong / January 11, 2005 9:22 AM PST
In reply to: gigabeat room english

OK, let me try to find a place to host it.

Cheers.

Collapse -
gigabeat room software for English windows
by benedicte / January 11, 2005 11:43 AM PST

This is a great idea, to try to post the files somewhere. I know more and more people looking for this software. The problem may be the size of the files, because they can't travel via email...
Here in japan Toshiba customer services are just asleep and doesn't seem to answer to any demand regarding this. Really annoying...
Any way many thanks in advance for making it available for us !
Benedicte

Collapse -
gigabeat room english
by ka713 / January 11, 2005 7:05 PM PST

orrite koool thanks heaps man

Collapse -
not enough disk space...
by wkvong / January 12, 2005 12:38 AM PST

The size of the disk archive is 19M... too big to host in my ISP home disk... where can I place it? Sad

Collapse -
host
by ka713 / January 12, 2005 5:55 PM PST
http://www.streamload.com/About/Home.asp
try this you can sign up for a free trial account you get download 100mb free but unlimited storage...errm my username is ka713 and email is dunno_anythin@hotmail.com... i think you need those like u send me an email through that site wid the uploaded cd and ill be able to download it...
thanks heaps man your a life saver!!!
Collapse -
RE: host
by wkvong / January 13, 2005 9:56 AM PST
In reply to: host

OK i will upload it tonight.

Collapse -
bad host
by ka713 / January 14, 2005 7:46 PM PST
In reply to: RE: host

sorry to bother you but the steamload site will only allow freeloaders to download @ 10mb @ a time Sad ...i do have a gmail account i was wandering if you could send it there....ill send you a email from my gmail wkvong....again sorry Sad

Collapse -
Gigabeat g21 software
by spencermont / March 30, 2005 7:49 PM PST
In reply to: RE: host

HI, I'm praying you can help me. I bought a 2nd hand G21 in Japan, but cannot use it, as I can't get hold of the right software (English version) absolutely anywhere. I've tried everywhere on the net, but can only get later versions for latest models. Do you have a copy? Please reply, as I'm desperate!! Many Thanks, Spencer

Collapse -
Gigabeat software for english Windows
by benedicte / January 13, 2005 8:37 AM PST

This is to propose you some places to host the files :
- Try www.xdrive.com, they have 5GB storage for free trial.
- Or you can open an Yahoo Mail or Google Mail account.
Now they have over 200GB storage for email
I hope it will work out .
Thanks,
Benedicte

Collapse -
RE: Gigabeat software for english Windows
by wkvong / January 13, 2005 9:55 AM PST

Hi Benedicte,

I've got a Gmail account. Please send an email to wkvong@gmail.com if u dont want to post your email address here.

Happy

Collapse -
gigabeat room software available - english version
by benedicte / January 16, 2005 11:15 AM PST

Now that I have finally got the english software (many thanks to WKVONG !), I can propose to any gigabeat user to download it. I have created a special email account on Yahoo to to it, so if you need the software, please post a reply in this forum or send an email to benedicte.f@gmail.com and I will give you the information to access the account(or send the files directly to you).
You will need also to use Winrar application as the files are in a compressed version. You can donwload the Winrar software at www.rarlab.com/download.htm (free).
Note : Gigabeat room software works only with Windows XP or 2000. Toshiba noted in the booklet that it's a "Free" software so I felt "Free" to make it available to other users.
Keep in touch,
Benedicte

Collapse -
Gigabeat room for english users
by benedicte / January 18, 2005 10:23 AM PST

This is to announce that the software Gigabeat room for english windows has been posted (or will be shortly) on this website, for those interested.
It will be located here :
http://perso.club-internet.fr/alcahest/perso/g20/dl/gigabeatroom_english.rar
Don't forget to decompress it with Winrar before installing.
So you don't need anymore to send email to me for having it...
Ciao !
Benedicte

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!