Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Anyone own a Tempurpedic mattress?

Hi, I'm looking to buy a new mattress and have a few thousand dollars I'm willing to spend. I suffer from quite a lot of back pain at times and read from this Tempurpedic Mattress guide that they are one of the best mattresses on the market for pressure relief.

Does anyone own one? They seem quite a lot of money, but are they worth buying? If you also suffer from back pain, are there any other mattresses you'd recommended?

I'd appreciate any opinions. Thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anyone own a Tempurpedic mattress?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anyone own a Tempurpedic mattress?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wouldn't be without it.

In reply to: Anyone own a Tempurpedic mattress?

We bought one with some of my retirement money after trying it in a store. It works as advertised: Every part of you gets just the right support in any position. I sleep much more soundly and my wife has fewer back and shoulder pains.

There are now other "memory foams" on the market, either mattresses or mattress toppers. The action is the same, but IMO the original material is better. You may be satisfied with one of the newer ones, especially since you'll have more money left to stuff in the mattress. Happy

One complaint I have is the aggressive pricing. The Tempurpedic was sold only as a complete set: Mattress, foundation, bedstead. The literature says the warranty is for twenty years, which I can well believe, but 'only if used as a set'. That's bogus; the mattress supports itself. When you get to handle one or lie on it you'll see what I mean. Eventually I'll just build a platform bed for the memory foam part and get rid of the rest.

Collapse -
Love it!

We have the brand sold by QVC. They are great to deal with and have good return policies.

Memory foam mattresses take some getting used to.

Dan

Collapse -
I don't, but

..... I still have and use a foam mattress we bought over 35 years ago from Sears. It was originally purchased for our son's bed when he was about 10 years old. After he grew up, left for college and then his own home, I have used it as it offers excellent support still. All that has suffered has been the cover, a problem easily served by a mattress cover.

So I suspect that if the mattress foam from the 1960's held up so well, that the one used in Tempurpedic ones
willl also.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Thanks everyone

In reply to: I don't, but

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've read that memory foam mattresses do take a little while to get used to, but also that the support is second-to-none. I think I'm going to give the Tempurpedic CelebrityBed a go as it seems to have many good reviews. Quite an expensive purchase, but if it lasts as long as I hope and helps with my back problems it'll be money well spent.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Collapse -
(NT) Try BedInABox.com

In reply to: Thanks everyone

Collapse -
(NT) You're naughty, Cindy . ;-) rob

In reply to: Try BedInABox.com

Collapse -
(NT) ???

In reply to: You're naughty, Cindy . ;-) rob

Collapse -
Why is Cindy naughty?

In reply to: You're naughty, Cindy . ;-) rob

Collapse -
Yup.

In reply to: Why is Cindy naughty?

And the foam is made right here in my hometown. It's also where I ordered my own bed, so I don't quite get the comment either.

Collapse -
Sorry, I thought you were trying to talk them into a cheaper

In reply to: Yup.

model, and were teasing. My, the things you can't convey through a typewritten interface.

I must say, I'm considering a Tempurpedic mattress topper because I'm not enjoying my bed anymore.

Rob, and sorry for the misunderstanding and not catching this earlier.

Collapse -
Only a suggestion.............

Collapse -
(NT) That's a possibility. 3 inch is minimum IMO.

In reply to: Only a suggestion.............

Collapse -
We looked at them but didn't buy one

I don't know how true it is of newer ones but I know that one of the complaints about older ones is that they trapped so much body heat that some folks said they were uncomfortably warm. I believe this to have been true as the ones we looked at that were rival brands of the Tempurpedic expressly stated that their ventilation technology made them better than other types. Some people just naturally seem to produce more body heat than others and this heat also affects the way memory foam compresses under weight. Perhaps others here have personal experiences to share with you in this regard. From what I gather about these is that some love them and some cannot tolerate them but you want to make sure it's that much better before paying three times the price for other quality brands.

Collapse -
Bed.

I ordered mine from BedInABox.com on Monday and it arrived on Wednesday.

It was about a third of the price of Tempurpedic. Good warranty, too. I bought the one with the goosedown pad.

I slept on it for the first time last night. It was awesome.

I also have a referral code to give out that is worth 5% off your entire order, so if anyone is interested in that, let me know. Happy

Collapse -
worth 5% off your entire order,

In reply to: Bed.

does that include the bike?

Wink

Collapse -
Thanks; got mine.

In reply to: Bed.

BTW are you saying bedinabox has an 'imitation' Tempurpedic?
If you're happy with it, then the substitutes are indeed now worth it. (Sleeping on it always tells the tale.)

For a while they weren't, and the one or two inch toppers weren't worth it. Anyway, my wife and I are still happy with our purchase because we've been sleeping soundly for the last six years. Happy

Collapse -
Hi Doug

In reply to: Thanks; got mine.

For my entire adult life my favorite sleep was on my old free-flow waterbed. As the years progressed I went to a baffled waterbed (hated it) to an air bed (not bad) to a regular mattress (oh my aching everything!) to the air mattress with 3" of memory foam on top. Foam toppers do not work well this way, you sink so much it was like sleeping in a hammock, and changing position involved really lifting yourself out of the hole you created!

This bed is "imitation", but there are only so many places that make foam--the foam for this bed came from a plant about a mile from my house. This is the most supportive, comfortable bed I've ever had. No tax, free delivery, about a third of the price of the brand name, and I'm helping my local economy. Win-win. Happy

Collapse -
Good deal. I've noticed that the imitations

In reply to: Hi Doug

are getting better, so that's what you have.
As I said, lying on one tells the tale. There's no "hole" with Tempurpedic or any good imitation.

Here's what I think FWIW. The chemical of the "real" foam is a complicated one, and patented, of course. Someone could change the formula just enough to avoid infringement, but the results would be unsatisfactory. That's because the Tempurpedic folks also would have pateneted any useful variations they could find. Now someone has made a change that's legally safe and structurally the same.

In my mind I thought this might happen, so I'm always hesitant to be an early adopter. If only we had moaned in agony for five years, we could have saved a bundle. Happy

Collapse -
My understanding

In reply to: Good deal. I've noticed that the imitations

is that the recent imitators could in theory actually be better than the original Tempurpedics. There have been advances in foam quality so that it is more supportive (no holes!) and also are cooler; some of the original Tempurpedics (and early imitators) got very hot and uncomfortable for some people and did compress (holes) more than more modern foam.

Of course as you say, suffering until the prices came down wouldn't really be an option. I'm already kicking myself for not pulling the trigger a year ago when I was considering it. Happy

Collapse -
Worth every penny

My wife and I bought the <a href="http://www.bestchoicemattress.com/tempurpedic-originalbed.php">Tempurpedic OriginalBed</a> a few years back. At the time it was an incredibly expensive purchase for us and we thought long and hard before buying. But I can honestly say it was one of the best purchases we've ever made. I don't find that it sleeps hot and I don't feel like I'm sinking in it either. The OriginalBed, if I remember correctly, is a firm mattress (which I prefer) but I believe Tempurpedic has brought out softer, pillow-top versions. Anyhow, we both sleep well in out mattress and hope this helps anyone who's thinking of buying Tempurpedic.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.