HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

Anyone other than Bob have a comment on battery life

by what_now3 / March 19, 2004 9:39 AM PST

Sorry Bob I have read your valid opinions but it does not compute with what is reported on the Apple discussions on iBook batteries. That is why I wanted PC input.

I am trying to find out if the PC notebooks have a better track record than the iBook. And which ones are better.

If not my next pc might as well be a desktop. But there are alot of road warriors who use their machines 10, a 100 times more than I do. I can't see them tolerating this situation.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anyone other than Bob have a comment on battery life
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anyone other than Bob have a comment on battery life
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Anyone other than Bob have a comment on battery life
by blacklion213 / March 19, 2004 1:23 PM PST

I have just purchased my first notebook. I have been looking into 'notebook' information for about a year. There are a thousand things I probably missed in gathering the information before making my purchase, oh well.

One thing I am pretty sure of, the battery duration time you see quoted on the model reviews are very generous. Each company claims their own statitics when listing the model options. All my friends that own notebooks (about six people), state their notebook batteries have never made it to the published longevity. Most of them tell me their notebook batteries last about 1hr to 1.5hrs less than the claimed duration. Also, four of these people have owned notebooks for years, and they state the battery's lifetime average about 2 to 3 years. All this depends on usage and recharges too. Finally, read the reviews of various notebooks, record the stated longevity and ask around to see if the stated longevity matches the ACTUAL performance.

Collapse -
Re:Anyone other than Bob have a comment on battery life
by glb613 / March 19, 2004 8:21 PM PST

My sister has a Sony TR Series. The battery life is excellent. She also purchaced the extended battery and it lasts about 6 hours. But, you are talking about an small, 12 inch screen, computer.

I have three notebooks, including a small Toshiba tablet/notebook I use for work, and none have the battery life claimed by the company.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Anyone other than Bob have a comment on battery life
by cnet007 / March 20, 2004 6:01 AM PST

take a look at sharp MM20 the battery last for 9 hours

Collapse -
This is not just battery run down and recharge,
by what_now3 / March 20, 2004 10:03 AM PST

these batteries (or motherboards or ?) lose it the minute they are unplugged in 10-15 minutes. Some said that to unplug it was to immediately die (battery wise). Those of us with this challenge now have a small "desktop" machine.

I understand I have an older machine, that once did 3hours before charge but rarely tested, and expect to need to replace the battery. Unfortunately, that has not sovled the problem for those others who have tried everything and I am not good with a soldering iron. I am not willing to buy battery after battery only to continue to "die".

I accept that my ibook is just a small "desktop".
I now am looking to buy a dirfferent laptop and I thank you all for your recommendations. I am just hoping these machines, whether a "normal" 2 to 3 hours, keep that capability and not die in 10 minutes in a year or less.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.