Resolved Question

Anyone knows why I can't make optical sound connection work?

Hello, I'm new to this forum (first time I post, but been reading for a long time).
I recently bought a Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium sound card and later I decided to buy a Yamaha YHT-294 sound system. The problem is that, if I try to connect the sound via the optical cable to the receiver, I have a few issues: mostly, if the DTS or Dolby configs are running, I can't listen to music (it just doesn't play music at all and the program collapses), and if I try to set up the 5.1 system without those codecs, I don't get any music either. I've tried setting that up as the default connection, and nothing. When I tried playing blu-ray movies, it wouldn't work at all, the movie would not even play.
I also have a GTX 480 and a LCD screen with HDMI so now I'm transferring the sound to the receiver thru the HDMI cable and the video, but it's a bit sad to not be able to use the optical connection (I practically don't even use the sound card, and when I used it on a regular stereo connection the sound was very good). My configuration is:
nForce 790i Ultra SLI,
GTX 480
Intel Q8200 (I think) 2.33ghz (quad core)
Creative Sound Blaster X-FI titanium
LG blu ray reader
3 HDD's
Windows 7 ultimate x64 bits
8 gigs RAM DDR3
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me on this matter!
Martin

Discussion is locked
Martinchox has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: Anyone knows why I can't make optical sound connection work?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Anyone knows why I can't make optical sound connection work?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Where is the optical output on this system?
- Collapse -
Sorry!
- Collapse -
Sorry.

I'm still a little light on details. Now that we see this has the optical out, the sad story is that without the DRIVERS and CODECS you can not expect that output to work.

All I have now is "collapse." It could be a driver error or that cracked copy of Windows 7 Ultimate I see at the shop counter all too often. THIS IS NOT TO SAY YOURS IS THAT but details about the "collapse" are a little sparse.

If this machine is fairly stock and the motherboard drivers then the audio drivers were installed IN THAT ORDER then when it BLUE SCREENS (I can't tell) then it's often a driver issue. But I can't tell.

If this is all good, then pack and return if Creative Labs does not have updates for the card.
Bob

- Collapse -
Some more info.

Some drivers were re-issued about 3 months ago, because it took Creative quite a bit to update them to be fully functional with Windows 7 64 bits environments, I meant with collapse that the creative program and the music player get to a halt state and they do not respond (I can just kill those tasks and back to normal). The codecs are the K-lite codec pack for 64bits. The BSODs came with the blu-ray movies, but it was due to a problem between the GTX 480 which was fixed by updating the drivers with a release to fix particularly that issue between the graphics card when playing blu rays on 64bits (or something like that).
I built this machine in 2008, and then updated the sound card, graphics card and OS, the OS came first, then graphics and then the sound card, I built this computer myself, so I might have messed up in some driver installation order.
With the HDMI configs, everything works like a charm, but for some reason the sound card continues to issue on the optical i/o.
The sound card is also out of warranty now, so I don't have any chance to return it to them.
Maybe my codecs are not good but I wouldn't know, all I could find for 64 bits OS as good was this. I'm sorry for the lack of information, I am a newbie at this and I am not sure if this is all the information you need. Thanks again for the reply and I hope this helps you a little more to understand my problem!
Martin

- Collapse -
K-lite.

I don't see that from Creative Labs. I do find those to be buggy at times PLUS you see too many corrupted encodings of media. To sort this out I always end up going back to no codecs save what the OS and the card installs and test as I add things.

There may be more clues in the event manager and given the machine age I wonder if there is a newer BIOS. Why that matters is that many makers had to catch up with 7 64 bit.

Here all is well in the land of 64 bit Windows 7. But I never installed K-lite because in the circles I run, it's been trouble.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks!

Thanks a lot Bob, I'll be trying to change the codecs soon and I'll see if it works or not! I've been a bit busy with exams lately Silly.
Thanks for the help!

Best Answer

- Collapse -
SOLVED!!!

Finally, now it works 100% with all configs with whatever I want to do, no issues at all. The solution was using a beta driver (and software) for win7 64bits, and Creative had a known issue with nVidia's SLI motherboards, they gave me some registry modification for it, and when I enabled it, worked 100% perfect. I also updated my BIOS, so that probably helped as well. Thanks for all the help!
Martin

- Collapse -
Answer
More info now

Ok, I changed the codecs (I think the name of them is shark? something close to that) and I've tried the optical conection instead of the HDMI cable, although at first instance it worked, (I could get a 5.1 clear sound on every signal), I found a problem soon enough. The "volume panel" of this sound card, or the config panel software made by Creative had an issue and it would not recognize the connection as an usable one. Also, the music would not play, nor any sound at all would come out after rebooting the system. It stated that there was something else using the sound at that time. When I checked, there was a service of creative that was conflicting with it. When I disabled it, it worked again (but the volume panel still wouldn't work), so I reinstalled the drivers. After doing so, the volume panel started working fine but with 2 issues now: it detects that I use a 5.1 system, but if I go to autodetect it just stays at whatever I put as system, say, if I place I'm using a 7.1, the autodetect also says I'm using a 7.1, and then if I try the channels on the 5.1 config, it starts testing the first 3 channels, FL, C, FR, SW and then when it goes to the rear ones, it just plays the sound on the central and FR, FL, respectively, not the RL, RR especifically. The other problem is that if I try to use the dolby digital live config or DTS connect, it just doesn't work. The reason is because I disabled the service that makes this work, but then if I enable it, I get no sound at all. Another problem I've just found is that if I disable the "Speakers" of the sound card (since I'm using the optical output, I don't need that working) the software won't run at all, saying I don't have the required hardware. This is quite a maze and I don't know how to solve it!
Thanks in advanced for any help you can give me!

- Collapse -
Forgot something!

I forgot to add that when I go to the windows sound area, where you choose which one to use as sound, if I put "try" on the DTS or dolby digital formats, it uses all 5.1 channels, each of them individually, and when I go to advanced options, if I put try on any of the configs, the test uses only 2 channels (on HDMI, I had the 5.1 channels tested) and on the balance area, it only sees 2 speakers (how is it making the 5.1 test in the first place?).
Martin

- Collapse -
My maze is much smaller.

I never installed klite, shark or such codecs. I'm left to guess why such are needed.
Bob

- Collapse -
So...

Which codecs should I get?

- Collapse -
(NT) For the first tests, none save what the OS+drivers install.
- Collapse -
Ok

Ok, so far I've done this and I think I know the problem, but not the solution:
I uninstalled everything related to my sound card, and reinstalled the main drivers (also uninstalled all codecs). The first trial, without any codecs, was a fail, music would not play. What was conflicting with the music beeing played: CTAudSvService, once I disabled it, worked again, but still on 2.1 config. The sound card should be able to compress anything to Dolby Digital or DTS, but that ain't happening, if I try to put that configuration, since I disabled that particular service, I can't get those configs to work (if I re-enable it, no sound again). I installed first the AC3 filter so I could try some movies. I can make movies work on 5.1 only if they are already encoded to DTS or Dolby, else all I get is 2.1. So far I'm only using this filter and FFDshow, and I can actually get 5.1, but only in that particular scenario, everything else is 2.1.
Another interesting thing is that even though I'm using the digital output, windows still recognizes another output, "speakers" of this sound card. I can't configure the speakers of the SPDIF connection, I can only configure the "speakers" option. But the speakers option is the regular connection of speakers (orange, black, etc) of the sound card, and if I disable that option, I can't use the creative software to configure the sound card, it just says I'm not using a compatible hardware connection that works with the software (there is only one software made by creative?).
Martin

- Collapse -
About that AC3 filter. I wonder.

Do you have a bona fide decoder or just some hack/download? A friend lost 2 months trying to avoid buying the usual bluray software.
Bob

- Collapse -
Hmm

I have never even heard of bona fide decoder, honestly. What I have as AC3 filter is called "AC3Filter", version 1.63b, it is freeware (at least it says so on the program and website). The blu ray software I have came with the blu ray reader that I bought, it's an LG blu ray reader, and the software that came with it was Power DVD.

- Collapse -
Answer
freeware with bugs means you get to deal with that.

If the but was in PowerDVD then you might get them to cough up a patch or fix.
Bob

- Collapse -
PowerDVD is the issue?

I'll try but does PowerDVD have much to do with CTAudSvcService.exe conflicting with my audio? The problem was already there when I deleted everything, even without codecs I couldn't listen to music, but when I disabled that service, music would play normally. There must be something else conflicting with that service... I googled bona fide decoders and I didn't find anything related to it, can you give me some sort of link or something so I can take a look? Thanks!
Martin

- Collapse -
Sorry for the bona fide.

I have to guess that English is not the native tongue here. You can google bona fide to your language now.

If CTAudSvcService.exe when stopped is fixing the issue, report that to Creative Labs. Remember that we can not fix that issue. It's their code.
Bob

- Collapse -
Oh!!!

Ooh! Sorry! Bona fide means good faith! I'm sorry honestly! I'm from Argentina (spanish is my native tongue) and there's a place that sells chocolate called Bona Fide and I couldn't find anything other than that! Sorry Silly !
Thanks, I'll trying to find my sound card serial number but it's hard to find it, as soon as I get it I'll ask Creative to give me a hint, thanks for all the help Bob!
Martin

- Collapse -
My friend is in Columbia today.

And his advice is to never park under a mango tree.

Chocolate would be an easier subject than dissecting what is amiss with this sound system. Sadly all I have today is a gift from my friends of Red Vines.

Good luck,!
Bob

CNET Forums