The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Anyone knows any prevention against identity theft?

I have recently been victimized by the theft of my credit card. But, due to favorable situations I could prevent it from being miss-used and was able to make thins go in the right way.Anyways , I would like to know that if there any services which keeps your financial information safe and make you secure about thefts.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anyone knows any prevention against identity theft?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anyone knows any prevention against identity theft?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Anyone knows any prevention against identity theft?

In reply to: Anyone knows any prevention against identity theft?

It?s quite necessary to protect your financial details and nowadays it?s becoming a practice to make things secure due to the increasing thefts. I had recently heard about services that keep your identity locked. They help you to protect your private information so that you can be relaxed about them being used to your loss. It?s a good way to make us feel at home about out things in spite of us using them in public. I believe that your question will be satisfied by this and you can make your self updated by taking the necessary steps

Collapse -
Preventing identity theft

The only way to prevent new account fraud is for the credit card provider to abort the credit application before the fraud occurs. The only thing I'm aware of that you can personally do to assist in this process is to place a fraud alert on your credit reports. You can do this by contacting one of the three nation wide credit agencies. According to the credit agencies, you can make just one call, and the information will be shared with the other two agencies. The down-side of this is that the fraud alert only lasts for 90 days, so if you wanted to make it last longer, you would have to call again after 90 days. These are the numbers to call - listen for prompts to "Initial Fraud Alert".

Equifax(R): 1-877-576-5734
Experian(R): 1-888-397-3742
TransUnion(R): 1-800-680-7289

There is a company in Hillsboro, OR, called Identity Profiles, LLC, that is setting up a nationwide registry in order to provide a similar service without the 90-day limitation, and protecting children as well as adults. The success of the registry will depend on the number of consumer participants. If you are interested in more information, take a look at https://www.identityprofiles.com

Collapse -
Protect yourself against Identity Theft

I decided recently that I needed an identity theft protection program because I was a victim of identity theft. After looking at the comparison chart in this <a href="http://www.lifelockreviews.net/">LifeLock review</a>, I was able to make a decision. Check out all of the different identity theft protection services, their features, and their prices.

Collapse -
Yes .........I know of the best possible protection

Alot of plans monitor your credit, and even alert you if your credit is compromised. But only one service does that and if it is breached, does a complete credit restoration at no additional charge. This plan is called Identity Theft Shield!!! The site below has more information.

http://www.squidoo.com/identitytheftsheild

Collapse -
A simple solution.

Yes, use gift cards instead of credit cards online. No third party providers involved to hassle with. No, large unused balances to have stolen. Very temporary, use them once, twice, maybe three times then get another.

The down side is they require some advanced planning and possibly a trip to the bank. Repetitive monthly withdrawals from the same location can cause some problems with some gift cards.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.