Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Anyone know what this is?

by dhazari / March 2, 2006 1:23 PM PST

I get this when I start up the laptop. Everything loads up normally, it's just that this pops up. I click the OK and go about my business. Doesn't seem to affect anything, mostly a nuisance. Its a small info window that is titled
" The requested control is not valid for this service"
Inside the "box" there is what appears to be a round red button with an X on it (which does nothing if you click on it) and the text is "ControlService", and of course the "OK" button

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anyone know what this is?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anyone know what this is?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like an intrruder
by phantazy / March 2, 2006 6:29 PM PST

I might be wrong but I doubt this is a valid message from XP or your applications and services. I would run some anti-spyware programs to try and find out a bit more information.

Collapse -
You may be able to find out more
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 2, 2006 6:31 PM PST

by checking the Event Viewer.

Right click the ''My Computer'' icon and select ''Manage''. In the Computer Management console, click Event Viewer on the left and you will see 3 options below, Application, Security, and System.

Highlight Application and see the list in the right pane whether any entries have an error or warning against them. If so, highlight the entry, right click it and select Properties.

Do the same for System.

This will show an Event ID, and a description of the problem, and may help you narrow down what service is attempting to load.

Collapse -
by dhazari / March 2, 2006 11:39 PM PST

Thanks Phantazy and Mark, I'll try your suggestions...

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?