Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Anyone know the drop-out requirements for Arizona?

by MrKassner / January 28, 2010 2:07 AM PST

Probably not the best website to ask this on but figured I'd give it a try.
I'm 16 and I've been searching all over Google for what the requirements are to be able to drop-out in Arizona, some websites say 14, 16, 18, must complete 10th grade, and so on. Most of those web pages saying they haven't been updated since 2006. So does anyone here know what the requirements to be able to drop-out in Arizona?

Also I don't want to hear any of that crap about I shouldn't drop out of high school, after I drop out I WILL be getting my GED once I turn 18 and the GED is exactly the same as graduating high school, look it up if you don't believe me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Anyone know the drop-out requirements for Arizona?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Anyone know the drop-out requirements for Arizona?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This one says
by Angeline Booher / January 28, 2010 3:16 AM PST
Arizona compulsory education laws require students to complete the 10th grade before they can "drop out".

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_kids_drop_out_of_school_at_17_in_Arizona

The law doesn't say how those who drop-out support themselves.

I assume you are not depending on your parents, grandparents, guardian, or other adults to support you. because you are smarter than they are. But take heart! You will be surprised how much they would have learned 5 years from now!

You could check with a national chain, . like McDonalds. to see if a GED qualifies a worker to be promoted past cook Also look into technical schools for their requirements. I say that because you are misinformed. Not all accept the GED as the same as a high school diploma. If you have a particular future in mind, be informed beforehand!

Angeline

Collapse -
Well I got most information from my father...
by MrKassner / January 28, 2010 4:02 AM PST
In reply to: This one says

He has a GED and he's making enough to support me, my mother, and himself just fine. True he never got any of the "high up" jobs but he was never stuck scraping the bottom as something like McDonalds burger flipper or trash truck guy, etc. and the one time he did work in a fast food place he loved it but the place went out of business.
I can't see how I'm smarter then them either. I never said I was smarter and I hate it when people assume I'm just another teen with a hard head that thinks he's better then everyone else, I know I have a lot to learn still. The main reason I'm dropping out to get a GED is because I'm a 16year old freshman (9th grade, supposed to be 11th grade but 1. My parents put me in school a year late as a kid. And 2. I was in online school for awhile and the online school refused to transfer my credits when I went back to normal high school.) that doesn't want to be 21 when he graduates.

Collapse -
One different track you may want to look into
by Roger NC / January 28, 2010 7:10 AM PST

Many school systems have a program to take community college classes while taking high school classes. The requirements are probably stiff, but what would it hurt to look? If you could get into such a program, then when you finished high school you'd also either have a 2 year degree or nearly so.

I can understand the problem of being 16 as a freshman. Totally out of your peer group, also everyone who meets you assumes you've failed classes and were forced that way to repeat grades.

Also, are there in charter or magnet type schools in your area? While established for different reasons, some may also offer you an opportunity to do more than you can in the local district school.

Collapse -
Both my boys got their GEDs
by Diana Forum moderator / January 28, 2010 3:33 AM PST

One thing it didn't do is get them was a scholarship to college.

Diana

Collapse -
True. But,
by MrKassner / January 28, 2010 3:51 AM PST

that doesn't mean you can't go to college. Most will still accept you, though the really high up colleges you could/probably would have trouble getting into.
At this time I don't plan on going to college, but this country is turning more into another "finish college or your ****** getting a job" kind of place so I may end up having to later in life.

Collapse -
Ask your guidance counsellor?
by EdHannigan / January 28, 2010 3:38 AM PST

Collapse -
My school doesn't seem to be too organised with that...
by MrKassner / January 28, 2010 4:11 AM PST

Whenever I try to find someone to talk to about this stuff they're never in their offices and when I ask someone where they went/when they'll be back no one knows or they won't be back for hours. Which is hard matching up free time from my school schedule to time they're actually in their offices.

Collapse -
Try phoning the School Board, or the state Dept of Education
by Ziks511 / January 29, 2010 5:53 AM PST

You're more likely to get somebody on the phone, or somebody who will call you back than you are at your school which sounds like it needs a good shake-up so that it starts to meet the needs of its students.

Rob

Collapse -
I found out today that,
by MrKassner / January 29, 2010 7:45 AM PST

their was another building I could go to to ask (I've only been at this school a couple weeks so I don't really know the place 100%) and the lady in there gave me an instant answer that it's 16 or older and all I need is one of my parents to call in to approve it. She was disappointed to hear that I'm dropping-out but said that a lot of students drop-out and get GEDs here and she understood since I'm 16 and still a freshman.

Collapse -
Nope, don't!
by Dango517 / January 29, 2010 6:27 PM PST

Really bad idea. You can do it! Hang tough, stick to it, you'll be glad you did, maybe. Hey, being honest here. Good luck.

Collapse -
Do you have alternatives?
by Dango517 / January 29, 2010 6:30 PM PST
In reply to: Nope, don't!

Like maybe home schooling? Using a PC over the net? Check it out before you decide, not after.

Collapse -
I've already made my decision
by MrKassner / February 1, 2010 11:04 AM PST

after looking through the other options. Theirs no reason I shouldn't drop out since I'll be getting my GED. Anyways I'm going to be out of school by the end of the week, GED I'll worry about over the next half a year (will be studying real hard to make sure I pass).

Collapse -
I should of put more detail into that.
by MrKassner / February 1, 2010 11:13 AM PST

I've tried home and online schooling. Both didn't work out. If you must know I have problems with depression that make it pretty much impossible for me to do my work without going "what's the point" and just giving up. Yes I'm now going to a counsellor or whatever you call them to get help but their practices can take months. By the time I'm to any point where my problems aren't problems any more I will of failed freshman year, thus setting me back a third year in school. I don't want to be in my early 20's when I finish high school.

Collapse -
"I will of failed freshman year"
by Josh K / February 2, 2010 2:50 AM PST

I think you meant "I will HAVE failed freshman year."

Still think you don't need to continue going to school?

The diploma is only one reason to stay in school and it's not even one of the big reasons.

Collapse -
16 yr olds don't make decisions
by jonah jones / February 1, 2010 6:59 PM PST

they make mistakes

but good luck whichever way it goes

Collapse -
I hate ageist people.
by MrKassner / February 1, 2010 10:26 PM PST

So basically what you're saying is anyone under 18 (or 21?) is stupid and shouldn't be trusted with anything. Yeah. Right. Try not to stereotype people just by their age and instead look at how they act. Not to mention my dad (who is 58) recommended the GED and I originally said no because I thought it was something that would ruin my life and I'd never be able to get a job. Then I looked up some info about GED's and found out it's 99% the same as graduating high school.

Collapse -
You have demonstrated by your reply
by Angeline Booher / February 1, 2010 11:51 PM PST
In reply to: I hate ageist people.

...... the stereotypical 16 year-old immaturity by being unable to accept that advice or criticism as well-intentioned. You resent it.

You say you hate ageist people, but remember it was you who said your reason for wanting to be a drop-out was you are older than your classmates.

Teens are not necessarily stupid. They just don't have a clue about how much they need to learn. As I alluded to before, you will be surprised by how much you have learned by the time you are 21.

Do yourself a big favor and start on your GED as soon as you drop out. Any employer would look favorably on that as dispelling that you are a quitter who can't hang in there when the going gets rough. it makes no difference where you live- there is always a place to start on that GED and get the books you'll need.

Be careful. Your social group will before long be composed of drop-outs, Hopefully they will also , not just want, but will work to earn the GED.

Angeline

Collapse -
you hate ageist people?
by jonah jones / February 2, 2010 1:13 AM PST
In reply to: I hate ageist people.

so don't be/act like one...

my response was based on experience,
yours was based on "ageism"...

Collapse -
reply for drop out requirements
by peterson86 / December 19, 2011 8:33 PM PST

drop-out age is 18 years.

Collapse -
(NT) I wonder how MrKassner is doing, 23 months later/now.
by JP Bill / December 20, 2011 2:37 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?